+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Which Webfilter? in Technical; Originally Posted by Edu-IT How will it work in that instance, because Lightspeed is usually an inline filter. Will schools ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    How will it work in that instance, because Lightspeed is usually an inline filter. Will schools just point at the proxy port on Lightspeed in your setup? I can PM if you prefer.
    They'd used the client software to point to a special number of servers we have. They can still have full AD integration etc. No need to use it as a proxy and send traffic via it though (unless its IOS). The yes / no to get the site is sent back to the client to allow it to get to the site or not rather than all traffic go via the proxy. I hate proxies and we avoid them wherever possible as they generally just break stuff....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SiP View Post
    To be honest since opening this thread and having demos from both companies I have found Smoothwalll to be cheaper if you put everything into consideration, we're planning on going with the unified firewall/filtering solution, pricing Lightspeed with a separate firewall was more expensive. And I was really impressed with Smoothwall's customer services while we were looking for quotes and had questions, they were getting back to me faster than any other company I've dealt with
    There are a fair few comments about the price of SW but, like you, when we priced up SW against Lightspeed, SW came out cheaper.
    We haven't looked back since getting SW in, perhaps the UI isn't a simple as other products but to be honest you don't have to be a rocket scientist to find your way around (and its being worked on). Also, I have found support to be nothing short of awesome so far.

3. Thanks to sparkeh from:

OB1 (27th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi,

just reading this thread, Lightspeed sounds interesting.
    could anybody pm me any prices that you would expect to pay please? and any personal experiences.

Thankyou

Jamie

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiet1985 View Post
    Hi,

could anybody pm me any prices that you would expect to pay please? and any personal experiences.

Thankyou

Jamie
    I recommend Phantom iBoss 100% over every other web filter I've used, including SW, iPrism, and Watchguard. In the past three years I've had a couple of vendors come trying to sell me their solution. Then, I show them what the iBoss can do and they soon realize they are the Goliath that has met their David with no hope of matching the iBoss even for 10 times the price. Yes, the SmoothWall is usually cheaper than the iBoss, but I see tons of techs on here stuffing around with their SW trying to figure out how to get it to do things the iBoss does out of the box with its eyes closed.

Can't comment on the LightSpeed unit one way or the other as I haven't touched it, but you should trial both the LightSpeed and iBoss before deciding. I would be really surprised if the LightSpeed beat it. If it does, let me know and I'll look at it myself if it's THAT good.

Thank Post
    Just searched for distributors of iboss int he UK and they are rather non-existant. 2 exist, 1 has a website was 1992 and the other doesn't have one.

One is alsoa PO box only address. Worrying if you want support on a product.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Just searched for distributors of iboss int he UK and they are rather non-existant. 2 exist, 1 has a website was 1992 and the other doesn't have one.

One is alsoa PO box only address. Worrying if you want support on a product.
    Well, there are zero distributors of iBoss in Australia, but I requested a demo unit and they sent me one within a week for a 90 trial. Turned out they just sent out a brand new unit and after two weeks of testing I decided to buy the unit they sent for the trial. The support provided for setup and configuration was excellent even though it was remote support. I was given the name and direct number for a tech as iBoss provide 90 days implementation/configuration support. They remoted in and walked me through everything. They really knew their stuff and weren't just some kid reading from a script.

Now, two years later I did have a hardware problem with my iBoss (seemed to be the NIC). Again, the remote support was great and when they identified that it was a hardware problem, Phantom shipped a brand new unit to me and it arrived in 3 days (from California to Australia). They didn't even want me to ship back the old unit (I asked) because of the expense of shipping it. Yes, there are no distributors here, but I can't complain about support!

Now, I am currently trying to convince one of my best suppliers to become an iBoss distributor because yes it would nice if there were local contacts over here. However, the iBoss was that much better than every other solution that it didn't really concern me that much. Many of their appliances are sub $2,000 or just over (we have 3550 unit and it was just under 2k) and subscription costs work out to $6 per student per year.

Thank Post
    I'm in the process of investigating an alternative to our LEA connection and the current offering from VMB includes a Palo Alto PA500. A layer 7 firewall including web filtering. Which means when I lose the ability to use a virtual Smoothwall appliance when we pull away from the LEA I can use the PA500 to do the filtering the Smoothie did.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paid_Peanuts View Post
    I'm in the process of investigating an alternative to our LEA connection and the current offering from VMB includes a Palo Alto PA500. A layer 7 firewall including web filtering. Which means when I lose the ability to use a virtual Smoothwall appliance when we pull away from the LEA I can use the PA500 to do the filtering the Smoothie did.
    Don't do it.. . Not with a pa500, they are horrid. The hardware isn't good enough. They take ages to commit new settings we had one on trial and it took 20 minutes every time we added a rule. If you can stretch to a 3020 its a far better unit. The 20 series, is better than the 500, but the 30 series is even better.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately the price they have quoted us for the 2020 unit is an additional 4k a year over a 3 year contract. I'd hate to think how much more the 3020 would be..?

Thank Post
    That sounds like a lot. I'll pm you on Monday with the deal we get from Gamma. We had to push hard for it, but it soundsa lot better than you're being offered.

Thank Post
    Great, thank you!
    VMB annual rental includes this PA500. 100mb sync connection £9k per year with a 3k install = 30k over 3 years.
    Little head room to buy anything else on top of those costs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiet1985 View Post
    Hi,

Thankyou

Jamie
    Yes I would be interested in the price as well please. Our ISPs filter is pain to get anything unblocked so would love to move to in house filtering.

Thank Post
    Oaktech how large is your organisation?
    We have approx 1000 devices and 1500 users.
    Just curious to know how many your 3020 is serving?

having looked at the quote again over 3 years a PA-2020 would cost us an additional 15,000 pounds over the cost of a PA-500.
    Last edited by Paid_Peanuts; 30th November 2013 at 02:56 PM.

Thank Post
    We are 3 schools in a federation. We are approx 1500 domain devices, about 2500 users, plus at any one time, 120 byod on a guest network. We chose a 3020 as we have a gig sync pipe and the 3020 has full gig throughput.

Thank Post
    Thanks seawolf, I might investigate iBoss even more.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast