+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Which Webfilter? in Technical; Partial hijack: Is Lightspeed an appliance or can you run it on your own hardware? Do they do UK support? ...
    Gaz

Thank Post
    Partial hijack: Is Lightspeed an appliance or can you run it on your own hardware? Do they do UK support?

I love smoothwall! yeah its not the easiest to use and configure but the job it does it does well. What does concern me about smoothwall is the direction that the company is headed with the price increase every year and the support issues that people are describing.

Thank Post
    +1 for Lightspeed here.

As you all probably know we have a cloud based virtualised version of Lightspeed which means no capital costs and simple integration with our virtualised Fortinet security platform too so you get best of both worlds on the filtering and security.

Lightspeed is very easy to use and very powerful. With its MDM & VLE integration you're onto a winner.

Do let me know if you need a quote

Dave

Thank Post
    We use our Palo Alto 3020 nextgen firewall to do our filtering. It is super granular and very effective. The only downside is that we are waiting for a software update to add a couple of features we need. At the moment the keyword filtering is a bit clunky and we don't have url substitution, but these are upcoming features. The support from Gamma, our provider has been excellent and the 3rd line from Exclusive Networks is even better.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Would anyone be so kind as to provide a ballpark figure for the Sophos box, out of idle interest?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    +1 for Lightspeed here.

As you all probably know we have a cloud based virtualised version of Lightspeed which means no capital costs and simple integration with our virtualised Fortinet security platform too so you get best of both worlds on the filtering and security.

Lightspeed is very easy to use and very powerful. With its MDM & VLE integration you're onto a winner.

Do let me know if you need a quote

Dave
    Is that for customers who don't have connectivity with you? I got part of an answer before, but then my communication with Schools Broadband seemed to dry up and I had no reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Partial hijack: Is Lightspeed an appliance or can you run it on your own hardware? Do they do UK support?
    They do have UK Support, an US too. I was really impressed the other day when I had a response to a query in minutes.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 27th October 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Thank Post
    My LEA has lightspeed with a tier setup for each member school. Sometimes I wish I had a bit more control as a tier admin but over all very nice product.
    I am certain it is an appliance, but can’t speak on pricing or anything as it is at the LEA.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Is that for customers who don't have connectivity with you? I got part of an answer before, but then my communication with Schools Broadband seemed to dry up and I had no reply.

They do have UK Support, an US too. I was really impressed the other day when I had a response to a query in minutes.

Hello,

we've just had this allowed by Lightspeed so yes we can do filtering even if you don't have our connectivity. Do get in touch if you'd like a quote

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    +1 for Lightspeed - we replaced the LA's Smoothwall and it's sooooo much better

Thank Post
    We're currently trialling a Sonicwall NSA 5600 to replace both our firewall and filtering boxes. We have a demo box on site which we've got working and so far I'm fairly pleased with it. Worth a look I'd say.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't suppose someone who is using Lightspeed would mind PMing me some rough costs would they?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Don't suppose someone who is using Lightspeed would mind PMing me some rough costs would they?
    PM sent

12. Thanks to bodminman from:

Cache (1st November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    Hello,

we've just had this allowed by Lightspeed so yes we can do filtering even if you don't have our connectivity. Do get in touch if you'd like a quote

Thanks

Dave
    How will it work in that instance, because Lightspeed is usually an inline filter. Will schools just point at the proxy port on Lightspeed in your setup? I can PM if you prefer.

Thank Post
    Anyone have any companies they have purchased lightspeed from? I had a quote but it worked out more expensive than smoothwall. The comments on here suggest they have had it for less than smoothwall?

Cheers

SiP
    Thank Post
    To be honest since opening this thread and having demos from both companies I have found Smoothwalll to be cheaper if you put everything into consideration, we're planning on going with the unified firewall/filtering solution, pricing Lightspeed with a separate firewall was more expensive. And I was really impressed with Smoothwall's customer services while we were looking for quotes and had questions, they were getting back to me faster than any other company I've dealt with

16. Thanks to SiP from:

tom_newton (27th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    Anyone have any companies they have purchased lightspeed from? I had a quote but it worked out more expensive than smoothwall. The comments on here suggest they have had it for less than smoothwall?

Cheers
    as requested PM'd within 24 hours

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast