+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Which Webfilter? in Technical; Originally Posted by zag The Sophos box was excellent, a far better interface than smoothwall which had only 3 clicks ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    The Sophos box was excellent, a far better interface than smoothwall which had only 3 clicks to access any feature.

I loved it but when ours died one day, sophos didnt appear to support it very well. They sent us a few old reconditioned servers and I got the feeling they didn't care very much.
    Yeah, we had one die. and our replacement was very clearly a recon. An argumentitive phone call later (I was very Irate, the NM had disappeared off on holiday leaving me with broken sophos box and no internet) they sent me a new one.
    Now, with the virtual appliance included, I don't care if this one dies. I have a running one with a template I can bring up at any time!

Support for it, as it is for most cases with Sophos, was a case of get some logs and hope I forget to contact them back.
    But I've only needed support twice in the last 4 years, so I'm not going to grumble too hard about them.

Thank Post
    +1 for Smoothwall it works soo well. It's so easy to block / unblock something for the school. The ability to allow for certain groups, or for custom locations. The built in VPN is fantastic for connecting and working from home if needed. The support is fantastic sometimes can take a while to get through but when they do ring back its normally quickly resolved.

3. Thanks to mdench from:

tom_newton (15th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SiP View Post
    Thanks John, is there anything in particular about Smoothwall that makes it your choice?
    Simplicity of the product, the fact they listen to customers for feedback and integrate that into the product (a number of features tucked away in it are "John features / Ideas"), they know education a good number of staff have been in our seats and involved in our jobs so they know what its like having the SLT breathing down your neck which is a plus and its just so flexible and configurable that I couldn't fault it. It literally was plug in, basic config in, change proxy to it and off we go The OOB policies, albeit a bit harsh at times, are good and you can sleep a bit easier. They also are quick to add new content which is a plus you also have the comfort in known that a good number of Countys use it so must be something good about it as they don't buy into these things quickly and easily! They are also a UK company and UK based which I always liked Unlike many others who have no real UK base or have a support office for a US firm and thus lack that core UK understanding Smoothwall have that with here being the home and founding spot Oh and its a Yorkshire company

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Simplicity of the product
    Sorry what? Smoothwall is the most complicated filter I have ever used hehe. There must be 1000+ options to click on in the main interface.

Other solutions have far better UI's and features.

I asked a question on how to block torrents today which you would think would be a standard tick box on a school web filter but apparently it isn't :/

Same thing for using youtube for schools, other filters have a option to turn it on while smoothwall requires much more complicated setup.

I do agree with the rest though, its a good company and huge potential for the product, but certainly not simple.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Sorry what? Smoothwall is the most complicated filter I have ever used hehe. There must be 1000+ options to click on in the main interface.

Other solutions have far better UI's and features.

I asked a question on how to block torrents today which you would think would be a standard tick box on a school web filter but apparently it isn't :/

Same thing for using youtube for schools, other filters have a option to turn it on while smoothwall requires much more complicated setup.

I do agree with the rest though, its a good company and huge potential for the product, but certainly not simple.
    I have used Surfcontrol, Websense and Smoothie (and been a Smoothie user for eeerr too many years now!) and it is the simplest filter of them all, Youtube Education is a couple of rules, well documented I will add, and a line of code from YouTube so you don't get much simpler than that really. It also gives you the flexibility and power to do it exactly how you want.

IF you feel that way tell them its too complex @tom_newton and team love feedback so tell them why you think its too complex and where the 1000+ options are and how you would improve it, it won't get better if you don't tell them

SiP
    Thank Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback so far, it's helping us form our choices, I've got a demo booked in with Smoothwalll and an over the web Demo with Lightspeed as well, and still emailing around other places to see what they have to offer. So far Smoothwalll have impressed me with how quickly they are getting back to me!

Thank Post
    We're at the same stage as you Sip. Got a web demo on thursday.

Thank Post
    Interesting thread. @zag - blocking tor is a one click op - assuming you have a firewall block rule set up somewhere, adding the layer7 tor inspection is one ticky. Admittedly it is a reasonably well hidden ticky... but we are slowly improving findability on our GUi - yeah, its a big old beast as we've the most full featured product!

Also worth pointing our that you won't block tor etc on a web filter per se - you need to be using some firewall functionality for that, as tor simply ain't going to go through your proxy. In a Smoothwall sense this would be either a UTm or bridge deployment (Lightspeed I think is generally bridge type or bypass, either will work, sophos, AFAIK will do neither, do correct me if Im wrong)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is what I'm talking about in terms of simplicity of interface:

Lightspeed

Sophos

I particularly love the way the sophos box has 1 green tick to show you all services are running on the main page.

Smoothwall has 38 status indicators taking up half the screen!
    Last edited by zag; 16th October 2013 at 08:56 AM.

Thank Post
    I have used a number of these products over the years but 3 years ago moved to Sophos and have just renewed for another 3 years, these are good boxes and I have not paid a lot to be honest. Setting up WCCP on this box was a simple on this box as well something I have had problems with in the past on other systems, that said I have not touched any other product for a long time so cannot comment how others do in this area anymore. This along with devices profiles make managing guest/ BYOD wireless services easy also easy to setup.

Thank Post
    Just moved to Lightspeed here after using RM Smartcache for so long and I'm loving it

I have used Smoothies in the past but like @zag I got frustrated with the complicated interface. Lightspeed is like a breath of fresh air!

13. Thanks to bodminman from:

Watty08 (20th January 2014)

SiP
    Thank Post
    I have to say the Lightspeed interface looks very attractive and you can tell it's heavily tailored for schools, we just have to look at getting a seperate firewall while smoothwall do a unified solution. I'd never thought of Sophos doing web filtering, I'll take a look.

Thank Post
    We're in the process of moving away from Smoothwall to Lightspeed so it's great to read so much positivity surrounding the product. Plus, with the Lightspeed, there's the MDM and MBC so it offers us much more for far less.

Thank Post
    I have used a few over the years
    currently using smoothwall, its good but not top of my list, It also very expensive. Im currently waiting for a sophos unit to test.
    I'm a big fan of sonicwall, but have not had any dealing since the change to Dell, prices are good though.
    I am currently active to look to see what else is out there now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wickit View Post
    I have used a few over the years
    currently using smoothwall, its good but not top of my list, It also very expensive. Im currently waiting for a sophos unit to test.
    I'm a big fan of sonicwall, but have not had any dealing since the change to Dell, prices are good though.
    I am currently active to look to see what else is out there now.
    Our RM Smartcache was so bad we ended up activating the content filter on our Sonicwall NSA40 device to give us an extra layer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast