+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Moving away from LLN - how did it go? in Technical; FYI LLN have asked to come and have a meeting with us to discuss how to help schools transition and ...

Thank Post
    FYI LLN have asked to come and have a meeting with us to discuss how to help schools transition and regarding keeping certain services up and running.

This is happening in a couple of weeks so I'll let you all know how its gone.

Thanks

Dave

2. 2 Thanks to SchoolsBroadband:

hallb15 (15th October 2013), Marshall_IT (15th October 2013)

Thank Post

Not so simple with LLN

@john thanks - I wish it was that simple. I paid nominet to transfer the registra to heart internet back in April. I do have control of the domain, which is why I'm stumped as to how LLN can still have any influence over it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    FYI LLN have asked to come and have a meeting with us to discuss how to help schools transition and regarding keeping certain services up and running.

Thanks

Dave
    Thanks Dave - I'll look forward to hearing your experiences!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post

Thanks

Dave
    might be something to do with the face that everyones abandoed them like rats from a sinking ship lol. Last heard only 2 high schools were staying with them through all of leeds

Thank Post
    hallb15 - speak to user themightymrp he is using office 365 and is still on LLN and it seems to be running well at the minute, he's had a few issues along the way which he now might be able to help you with.

7. Thanks to jonnykewell1 from:

hallb15 (22nd October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hallb15 View Post
    @john thanks - I wish it was that simple. I paid nominet to transfer the registra to heart internet back in April. I do have control of the domain, which is why I'm stumped as to how LLN can still have any influence over it.
    So you have full access to your DNS records for it via Heart Internet and know what they all are and nothing is point to LLNs systems / you know what they all are? If so I'd suspect that LLN are doing some DNS spoofing internally at LLN to reduce traffic going out of the WAN and back in again, for example within the WAN it may bring your IP to an internal IP rather than your external one to save out and in when you were part of LLN which they need to remove so it has to go out to resolve.

A way to tell ask a fellow school who is on LLN still to do lookups for your stuff in DNS from an LLN connection and you do the same from a non LLN connection see what you get. For example do an MX lookup on your domain school.leeds.sch.uk see if that brings any clues in. That is how we spotted issues with our connections in Yorkshire a good time ago and pointed it out to them and it was slowly resolved.

9. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    So you have full access to your DNS records for it via Heart Internet and know what they all are and nothing is point to LLNs systems / you know what they all are? If so I'd suspect that LLN are doing some DNS spoofing internally at LLN to reduce traffic going out of the WAN and back in again, for example within the WAN it may bring your IP to an internal IP rather than your external one to save out and in when you were part of LLN which they need to remove so it has to go out to resolve.

A way to tell ask a fellow school who is on LLN still to do lookups for your stuff in DNS from an LLN connection and you do the same from a non LLN connection see what you get. For example do an MX lookup on your domain school.leeds.sch.uk see if that brings any clues in. That is how we spotted issues with our connections in Yorkshire a good time ago and pointed it out to them and it was slowly resolved.
    We had this when we forst moved from lln around 2 months ago and its because some of our internal lookup zones were forwarding towards domains that LLN had setup ! Curric.local etc ! Now we have removed them as dns suffixes from clients we now get proper dns lookups ! Try searching for that might solve your issues !

11. Thanks to wroberts from:

Thank Post
    I've not moved away from lln get, but I'm hoping to have get the final items installed and have the leased line up and running over half term.

I've had issues with mail from lln going into junk to. I've got a call logged with Ms. I've set a whitelist up but it wasn't working. It is now.

Also I should be upgraded to the latest office 365 on the a 17th. Just in time.

I have to leave the order for the dongles tomorrow.

Will update you when it's all done.

13. Thanks to Marshall_IT from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    I've not moved away from lln get, but I'm hoping to have get the final items installed and have the leased line up and running over half term.

I've had issues with mail from lln going into junk to. I've got a call logged with Ms. I've set a whitelist up but it wasn't working. It is now.

Also I should be upgraded to the latest office 365 on the a 17th. Just in time.

I have to leave the order for the dongles tomorrow.

Will update you when it's all done.
    Do let us know how you get on. Our new line is being installed first week after half-term so I'll keep you posted.
    @wroberts Its sorted now - I never got an answer as to what they did but a call was raised with CAPITA and a few days later it started working. I've just got the junk email issue to sort now...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnykewell1 View Post
    hallb15 - speak to user themightymrp he is using office 365 and is still on LLN and it seems to be running well at the minute, he's had a few issues along the way which he now might be able to help you with.
    @themightymrp did you have the issue of all LLN emails going straight to the junk folder?

Thank Post
    @themightymrp did you have the issue of all LLN emails going straight to the junk folder?
    We did !
    And then your able to add specific whitelisted domains to the admin panel !

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wroberts View Post
    We did !
    And then your able to add specific whitelisted domains to the admin panel !
    I've just done that today but when I tested it earlier, it didn't seem to have worked.
    I wondered if there was a delay before this kicked in so I just tried again and now it is working - yeah!

Thank Post
    I've just done that today but when I tested it earlier, it didn't seem to have worked.
    I wondered if there was a delay before this kicked in so I just tried again and now it is working - yeah!
    I still get it occasionally.

@worberts could you please post your whitelist filter. i was told there was a bug with exchange 2013 where it would ignore whitelists for whole domains and you'd need to add a rule on each mailbox for each address... which wasn't going to happen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    I still get it occasionally.

@worberts could you please post your whitelist filter. i was told there was a bug with exchange 2013 where it would ignore whitelists for whole domains and you'd need to add a rule on each mailbox for each address... which wasn't going to happen.
    It does work ! Or idlt did for us and we are only the latest version can take around 24hrs to kick in though !

Thank Post
    The picture of the rule we have is below !
    Attached Images Attached Images

21. Thanks to wroberts from:

Marshall_IT (23rd October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast