+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, BT HomeHub & Connection Issues in Technical; OK further to this thread regarding complaining to BT I managed to get the issue resolved or so I thought. ...

Thank Post

BT HomeHub & Connection Issues

OK further to this thread regarding complaining to BT I managed to get the issue resolved or so I thought. Basically they sent a new HomeHub3 out which once I received seemed to sort out most of my problems. I then realised how slow navigating the settings of the old HH was once I replaced it with a new one. Jumping through different settings was much quicker with the replacement and the connection seemed better too (more stable).

However, over the last week the connection has dropped dramatically. The issue that I keep coming up with is that you will be connected to the wireless network but then get a prompt that there is limited connectivity. You look at the lights on the HH and it shows that everything is connected but yet you can't browse the network. If I try and connect to the HH it takes an age to bring up the settings and trying to navigate the settings to see the connection status is nigh on impossible. If you then reset the HH everything comes back up. This has happened numerous times this week and quite often when my wife is trying to use the internet in when I am in work. Yesterday I noticed that when this happened Dropbox was trying to sync and it status showed it was downloading at about 0.3kb/s so it seemed to indicate there was a connection, just not as quick as it should be.

This is the same problem that we had with the old HH (which was faulty) and although the new HH fixed this problem initially it has now re-appeared and I find it unlikely that we would end up with a second faulty HH after it seemed to be working OK. All the logs seem to show that the internet connection is OK and has not dropped but the only way you can get back onto the internet is to reset the router.

Another thing to add is that although the internet speed is ok and browsing websites is fine, when you open Skype it gives a warning that the speed is not good enough for a video call - either a yellow warning or red before the call is disconnected.

BT have done numerous tests on the line from my previous complaint without finding any problems and as it can be resolved by resetting the HH I'm thinking it's not a line problem but with the HH or at least it's settings. I've just opted out of the BT Open Wifi to see if that has any problems and from what I've read others have had the same problems but without resolution. Are there any settings I can check to see if there is something I can change to try and see if the connection is more stable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Whenever this occurs make sure you run the bt wholesale speedtests and if they indicate the speed is unacceptable harass BT.

We've had this on and off at first there was no fault and then miraculously engineers were working on it.

I had my HH2 replaced for a HH3 after I couldn't stand the high pitched whistle being given off by it and I rang BT and told them it was going out of the window.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

penfold (29th August 2013)

Thank Post
    BT have had massive problems all over the country over the last 2 weeks or so.

They will sort it where you are.

Mine was awful last week - my mate even got a new homehub 3 sent bu that didnt make any difference. This week it seems much better, almost back to normal so I asume they've fixed whatever the problem was.

5. Thanks to AButters from:

penfold (29th August 2013)

Thank Post
    There has been no reported problems that I can see (although I didn't check at the time). I generally can't get to run the speed test as it takes so long to get any webpages up. I have managed to run some tests and can see that it looks like it's getting dial up speeds, but as it takes so long to access anything it is quicker to reset the HH and let the reboot resolve the problem. The issue is that a reboot only fixes it temporarily and as it is affecting my wife more (she's trying to use skype to talk to her parents) I'm only getting the message that "the internet doesn't work again" Although she know's how to reset the thing it doesn't always fix the issue and the logs don't show any problems.

Just to clarify, shouldn't I be able to connect to the HH and check all the settings at the same speed whether there is a problem with the line or not? Does the fact that when these problems occur the HH it is extremely slow to access and navigate point to a problem with the HH itself?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information