+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, New internet provider in Technical; Hi, We are turning into an academy over the next year and are looking at a new internet provider although ...

Thank Post

New internet provider

Hi,

We are turning into an academy over the next year and are looking at a new internet provider although to be honest even if we were not we would be looking (connection is utter tosh atm).

Anyone have any good suggestions. We have had a brief chat with BT about BTnet who are looking good so far but we would like to see what else is out there at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    M247 Ltd is somebody who I have used in the past - Or Zen Internet.

3. Thanks to glennda from:

Pompey81 (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I priced up several providers for the same connection/service and on the end we went with RM

Ben

Thank Post
    We went with Zen you get ADSL backup free of charge just in case the fibre link was to go down for some reason (so long as you have a PSTN line free to take it) plus a very decent tech support department.

6. Thanks to Quackers from:

Pompey81 (17th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    We went with Zen you get ADSL backup free of charge just in case the fibre link was to go down for some reason (so long as you have a PSTN line free to take it) plus a very decent tech support department.
    If you are going to have this done make sure the DSL line takes a different route (ideally to another phone exchange via separate ducting) otherwise it can't really be considered a resilient backup. If, for example, a JCB collapses the ducting enough to take out your fibre, your copper will be out of action as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We are also going through this process at the moment. I have a small list of suppliers I'll be contacting in the next month for tenders (all the usual suspects plus one or two others from an internet search).

I'm looking at pricing either a 50/100 or 100/100 line but apparantly 100/1000 lines are getting more affordable now. Could be worth considering for future proofing.

I'm also concerned about upload speeds. We're using more and more cload services and uploading data to them and we host one or two internal services, so I'm unsure whether a standard ADSL line would be suitable for a backup if the main line went down? I'm going to be looking at prices for SDSL and ELM (Ethernet Last Mile) lines for the backup connection.

I'm hoping by using our Smoothwall box I can load balance between the two lines and get the most value out of them.

Thank Post
    as @glennda says M247 good connections and superb support always quick to resolve issues and get back to you if you are having problems or need more public address' etc

Thank Post
    I have just rung Zen for some details. Anyone ever used the Janet network. I have found out that they also now allow secondary and academies to have a connection and not just Universities.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey81 View Post
    I have just rung Zen for some details. Anyone ever used the Janet network. I have found out that they also now allow secondary and academies to have a connection and not just Universities.
    You will probably find you are connected to ja.net through your LEA anyway.

I can say Zen will probably be more expensive but you pay more for the tech support. It is faultless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    We are also going through this process at the moment. I have a small list of suppliers I'll be contacting in the next month for tenders (all the usual suspects plus one or two others from an internet search).

I'm looking at pricing either a 50/100 or 100/100 line but apparantly 100/1000 lines are getting more affordable now. Could be worth considering for future proofing.

I'm also concerned about upload speeds. We're using more and more cload services and uploading data to them and we host one or two internal services, so I'm unsure whether a standard ADSL line would be suitable for a backup if the main line went down? I'm going to be looking at prices for SDSL and ELM (Ethernet Last Mile) lines for the backup connection.

I'm hoping by using our Smoothwall box I can load balance between the two lines and get the most value out of them.
    If they are taking over the NCC fibre it's 1000 capable.

Ben

13. Thanks to plexer from:

tmcd35 (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Try @SchoolsBroadband

Out of about 8 suppliers i compared 6-9 months ago they came in cheapest by a long way, and offered quite a comprehensive package too. Only drawback so far being that they can't get the service activated by our required date, albeit that may not necessarily be entirely their fault. Well worth getting a quote anyway

15. Thanks to mrbios from:

Pompey81 (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Second for schools broadband, professional people with a good service, very helpful and pricing is excellent.

17. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Pompey81 (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    You will probably find you are connected to ja.net through your LEA anyway.

I can say Zen will probably be more expensive but you pay more for the tech support. It is faultless.
    Our LEA use Redstone. Well it was Redstone they have changed name recently. the pipe for the LEA is only 200mb and that is serving most of the schools in the area. It is now at times used so much we get internet dropouts at parts of the day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey81 View Post
    Our LEA use Redstone. Well it was Redstone they have changed name recently. the pipe for the LEA is only 200mb and that is serving most of the schools in the area. It is now at times used so much we get internet dropouts at parts of the day.
    Yup - that was the reason I moved the school @mdench is at away from the LEA - which authority is it?

Thank Post
    Hi,

If I can help any one with pricing, do let me know. You get free ADSL backup with us and we provide the PSTN line as well so you don't even need to sort that. We have some schools that are taking EFM for the failover if you want a slightly better upload speed, for that just in case scenario.

We have an extensive UK network and believe we offer a good all round solution.

Drop me a PM or call and chat to Guy or Wayne in the sales team on 0161 615 1270.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast