+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, ISP (Personal): Static IP, No/sufficiently high Cap. Just works. Not idiots? in Technical; Current provider is Demon (aka Thus aka Vodafone), using Home Office 8000 (pseudo-business) and I'm hitting the cap too often ...

Thank Post

ISP (Personal): Static IP, No/sufficiently high Cap. Just works. Not idiots?

Current provider is Demon (aka Thus aka Vodafone), using Home Office 8000 (pseudo-business) and I'm hitting the cap too often now (Netflix mostly, though people telling me about Steam & GOG sales don't help).

Want:
    1) A 100GB-ish+ monthly cap or "no cap".
    2) A static IP.
    3) A stable connection.
    4) Not idiots if I have to contact them once in a blue moon.

I'd like to keep it < 25/month.

I'm not adverse to sticking with Demon, but the Vodafone takeover makes me wonder if I should.

So who're you using that can do all that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

3. Thanks to Geoff from:

pete (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Hmm, interesting. Since my favourite ISP (UKOnline) was devoured by garbage, I have been looking for the one true ISP. Colleagues suggest Andrews and Arnold..

Related question: best home router (screw wireless, can do separate AP) - but is there one with decent diags and a good modem? All reviews concentrate on "fluff" IME.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Related question: best home router (screw wireless, can do separate AP) - but is there one with decent diags and a good modem? All reviews concentrate on "fluff" IME.
    @Arthur - think he got the Asus Dark Knight ( or what ever it is called ) and put an opensource firmware on it ( I think ). Be interesting to see what he thinks to it etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Since my favourite ISP (UKOnline) was devoured by garbage, I have been looking for the one true ISP. Colleagues suggest Andrews and Arnold..

Draytek Wifi isn't bad in them either and as your a g33k Mr N you could do your voip through it as well with the higher end models with dedicated VOIP ports.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been on ukfsn for years and it rarely goes down. Maybe once or twice a year. Solid service with UK support. And technicians who sound like they know what they're talking about. It's not necessarily the cheapest but i'd rather pay for a quality service.

They're a reseller of entanet. The entanet packages they resell are capped per month but have unlimited offpeak which is midnight to 8am and all weekend.

the other resellers are
    ADSL24
    Aquiss
    CCSLeeds
    Falconet
    Freeola
    Naims
    TitanADSL
    UKFSN
    Vivaciti
    Xifos

8. Thanks to browolf from:

pete (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with sky, with the level of work I do, I am pumping around 2GB an hour in traffic (up and down), the mrs also works from home for another company, does maybe 1GB traffic a day, so between us we hit 3GB a day, 23 days a month (so around 70GB a month for work). Factor in online gaming (circa 40GB a month), movie streaming, tv streaming, easily hit over 150GB in a calendar month. Not once had to pay beyond 5 a month for my connection as its thrown in with my TV and phone package.

Also, due to get fibre in the next few weeks also

10. Thanks to nephilim from:

pete (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Also, due to get fibre in the next few weeks also
    You lucky so n so !!!!

Thank Post
    I'd recommend an O2 / Be based connection as they come with unlimited data packages. Entanet offer a wholesale version of O2 via any of their Visps that have already been listed above. You should be able to get one for about 20pm + VAT.

I have an O2 based ADSL 2+ Annex M at home which is pretty good. I did move from a BT based one though and find that it's not quite as good on my Draytek 2830 as the BT one was speed wise. But still its unlimited so it doesn't really matter.

Dave

13. Thanks to SchoolsBroadband from:

pete (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    I like ADSL24 no caps, throttling, monitoring, etc. and only a 1 month contract if you change your mind.

ADSL24 - Business Broadband from 1 month contract and 24/7 UK support

they also offer a static ip on their home products as well and for more money you can get a faster upload on ADSL2 1.4 to 2.5

15. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

pete (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm with Sky at the moment, but considering moving to BT or Plusnet (yes I know that Plusnet is owned by BT!). Never really have any problems with Sky (but never had to phone them either!) but have noticed some slow downs in the evening recently. From the reading I've been doing Plusnet since they have now removed their throttling for unlimited accounts is quite well thought of.

17. Thanks to Soulfish from:

pete (18th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    I'd recommend an O2 / Be based connection as they come with unlimited data packages. Entanet offer a wholesale version of O2 via any of their Visps that have already been listed above. You should be able to get one for about 20pm + VAT.

I have an O2 based ADSL 2+ Annex M at home which is pretty good. I did move from a BT based one though and find that it's not quite as good on my Draytek 2830 as the BT one was speed wise. But still its unlimited so it doesn't really matter.

Dave
    Just remember O2/BE have just been bought by sky. Many customers are being encouraged to migrate over, some are sitting it out to see if they can keep their static IPs and Annex M. Sky are thinking about static IPs and using your own equipment according to the Q&A sessions they did with O2/Be customers.

Currently on Sky, but have used UKFSN (enta.net), Zen all of which I'd recommend for different situations.

19. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

pete (18th July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread