+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Viber in Technical; Hello All, We have a user who wants to use the Viber voice-over-IP Skype-like client on his iPad to make ...

Thank Post

Viber

Hello All,

We have a user who wants to use the Viber voice-over-IP Skype-like client on his iPad to make calls. It doesn't seem to work inisde our network - either our Lightspeed server or our SonicWall firewall are blocking communications in some way. Has anyone got Viber to work on their network - does anyone know what network settings it needs? Their FAQ seems to imply that we need to allow incoming connections on some particular ports:

Why can’t I use Viber on some Wi-Fi networks? | The Viber FAQ

That doesn't help much, though - would I need to get our SonicWall to forward those particular ports to the one particular iPad for things to work (so there would only be the one device on th network able to use Viber)? Skype works okay on our network, and I understand that functions through firewalls by initiating an outgoing connection and then having the firewall allowing a replying incoming connection.

Do I actually need to simply tell our Lightspeed device to not touch traffic going to Viber's servers, how I've recently done with Dragon Dictation traffic?:

Dragon Dictation on iPad

If so, does anyone have any idea what IP addresses I need to allow? Viber's servers would seem to be based somewhere within Amazon's cloud, so I imagine they have a whole bunch of servers with dynamically-changing addresses, which might cause issues trying to set up a firewall rule for.

Thank Post
    If you have the IP of the device add this IP to the inspectors area. Then go into the web activity report and choose show inspector data only and you should see anything that of the policies or DPI checks are blocking. You can also use the internal and external IP plus protocol report to see where the App is trying to talk to.
    The support chaps are always there to help if needed also.
    Simon

3. Thanks to Eappariello from:

dhicks (7th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eappariello View Post
    If you have the IP of the device add this IP to the inspectors area.
    Many thanks, I'll give that a try - the particular iPad with Viber on isn't in today, I'll have to give it a try next week.

Thank Post
    I personally use Viber all the time; a fantastic app for keeping in contact with friends and family abroad.
    There is now a Windows based version too.

We had to allow the following ports to make it work via WiFi:

TCP 5242
    TCP 4244
    UDP 5243
    UDP 9785

6. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

dhicks (7th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    We had to allow the following ports to make it work via WiFi:
    Do mean you had to change the settings of your managed wireless system to allow traffic on those particuar ports, or you had to allow all traffic in and out of your network through its main gateway?

Thank Post
    Changes made on our (Smoothwall UTM1000) Gateway specifically just on the WLAN/VLAN required. (or location as per Smoothwall)

9. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

dhicks (7th June 2013)

Thank Post
    I wonder if its classed as P2P and you have P2P traffic blocked

Easy enough to know, as @Eappariello said, you can do the inspectors or just look in the web activity report to begin with and search for the IP of the device, i find that usually has more than enough data in it to get stuff working, or at least give you a very good idea where the problem is.

Then it would just be a case of putting the appropriate external IP in your external IP ignore list
    Last edited by RTFM; 10th June 2013 at 08:40 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    Changes made on our (Smoothwall UTM1000) Gateway specifically just on the WLAN/VLAN required. (or location as per Smoothwall)
    @MYK-IT, could you let me know where you changed this specifically on your SW? We have had smoothwall a few months now but not really touched it.

Many thanks,
    David

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information