+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, New domain names, SMTP feed through SWGfL in Technical; ...

Thank Post

New domain names, SMTP feed through SWGfL

Hi everyone.

We have purchased 2 new domain names as the principal here wanted a shorter address (as a few other schools here have also done) particularly for email addresses, so we have purchased a co.uk and an org.uk address, but we want to keep the old one too. We have an exchange2010 server with SWGFL, our ISP providing us with an SMTP feed via a smart host.

I raised a 'how do you do this' call with SWGfL to check what I was doing as I sort of understood how things work with MX records and email routing, but not really sure, but said that I presumably need to enter MX records for the domains giving the same address as our existing domain, in.mx.ifl.net and then raise a change request with them as they would need to know where to route the mail to (our exchange server). [I was assuming this would involve them just updating a couple of routing rules to match our old domain.]

They replied to say that I was correct, so once the order for the domains came through I did the change request, but SWGfL are saying that I need to buy a new SMTP feed from them for each domain that I want to receive email for (at £70 per year each).

I know this isn't the biggest amount of money in the world, but it doesn't feel like the correct answer to need a whole new SMTP feed service for each domain.

Has anyone done this before or can fill me in with anything I've missed?

Many thanks,

Meldrew

Thank Post
    It's in part because SWGfL don't open a direct SMTP feed for you, but route it through their own services to prevent the creation of a spam relay. When schools started installing SMTP servers on broadband there was what might be called a bit of a problem. Obviously, the majority of people on here now are probably perfectly capable of managing mailservers without the problem, but as with everything in the tech world it's worth paying a few quid if it enables you to not worry about something... The cost/benefit analysis of how much it's worth paying is an individual calculation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread