+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Filtering at home in Technical; How do you manage your children's portable devices especially iPad's from accessing inappropriate content?...

Thank Post

Filtering at home

How do you manage your children's portable devices especially iPad's from accessing inappropriate content?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    I don't have children, but OpenDNS would be a good solution. All you have to do is add their DNS servers to your broadband router and every device on your home network can then be filtered (from iPad's and smartphones connected via WiFi to games consoles and PCs).

Blocking inappropriate websites or categories is done centrally through the dashboard on their website.

Talk Talk also offer a similar service, although I haven't used it myself.

3. Thanks to Arthur from:

mattlynch (24th May 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm using Sophos UTM at home, which is a great proxy to use but I've noticed that the vast majority of apps on Androids don't work via a proxy
    Specifically the Play Store making it one to avoid if you are wanting to use it exclusively for Tablets

The only apps I've found to work are browsers and email with a few others ( I think Dropbox)
    Also, if using a Windows 8 Tablet (or god forbid a windows 8 PC/Laptop) then 90 % of TIFKAM* Apps don't work either
    Not sure about Apple's kit though

*The Interface Formerly Known As Metro

5. Thanks to Gatt from:

mattlynch (24th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlynch View Post
    How do you manage your children's portable devices especially iPad's from accessing inappropriate content?
    I was actually at the UK Internet Service Providers Association seminar on child safety and filtering yesterday in London so this is quite a hot topic at the moment.

There are a number of large ISP's that already have a service included for free. These are currently Talk Talk and Sky. I believe BT and Virgin will be joining suit soon.

Microsoft were also demonstrating their inbuilt filtering into Windows 8 which looked pretty good.

If a school gives Ipads / Laptops / other devices to students or teachers then we can do filtering onsite (at school) / offsite (at home) and give them the same access rights wherever they are by using our hosted Lightspeed MDM and content filtering service. This essentially puts a global proxy payload which points to our Lightspeed content filtering servers.

The OpenDNS solution which @Arthur mentions sounds like quite a good way of doing it too.

Dave

7. Thanks to SchoolsBroadband from:

nephilim (24th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlynch View Post
    I was actually at the UK Internet Service Providers Association seminar on child safety and filtering yesterday in London so this is quite a hot topic at the moment.

There are a number of large ISP's that already have a service included for free. These are currently Talk Talk and Sky. I believe BT and Virgin will be joining suit soon.

Microsoft were also demonstrating their inbuilt filtering into Windows 8 which looked pretty good.

If a school gives Ipads / Laptops / other devices to students or teachers then we can do filtering onsite (at school) / offsite (at home) and give them the same access rights wherever they are by using our hosted Lightspeed MDM and content filtering service. This essentially puts a global proxy payload which points to our Lightspeed content filtering servers.

The OpenDNS solution which @Arthur mentions sounds like quite a good way of doing it too.

Dave

Thank Post
    I use OpenDNS for my daughter's iPods and laptops. It's very easy to setup, took less than an hour on 4 devices.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Talk Talk home safe is awesome!

TalkTalk HomeSafe

Its completely IP based so works on all devices and is standard with all their broadband packages.

Wish BT would do something similar!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not had the need yet, my daughter knows not to press any adverts or go onto the internet on our phones/tablets/laptops. She is fully aware if she does she has to tell us and ask for help, she is 4, and she is quite capable. She has her own tablet (nothing fancy, an old windows touch screen which I juiced up with droid), and turned the wireless off, so we install apps via APK files

She is happy, we are happy.

Thank Post
    At home, I use pfsense with Captive portal and squid/dansguardian for proxying/filtering. Anything that connects via the captive portal is filtered. Its unsecured wifi and the amount of people that try to connect is bonkers, but with it being captive portal all they get is a login page and can go no further unless they authenticate.

It's a good trick especially if ya call it free wi-fi lol .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you got a speedtouch router you can use opendns and block all other servers. Also you can use Dns-o-matic if your on a dynamic ip. You set the router to only give out the right servers via dhcp.

Thank Post
    Whilst Open DNS is fine what happens when your kids start changing the DNS on the devices themselves or using the anonymous proxies that they are always trying at school!

Unless you have the advantage of owning your own Sonicwall or PaloAlto at home, without help from your ISP or a half decent firewall your snookered!
    You need to be able to restrict all DNS lookups to your specific chosen host and block access to anonymous proxies.
    Make the most of it whilst they are small, it gets a lot harder when they become 13 yr old hackers....

Whilst most of us here can probably lockdown a windows box it's not that easy with so many platforms and BYODs at home.
    I had the whole family for a BBQ the other week and had over 30 devices on the Internet!

Like managing a class full of monsters sometimes... but even then those that don't like the filtering simply switched to using the nearby BT Openzone... No win
    All ISPs should be locked down with an opt out like mobile networks.

15. Thanks to m25man from:

mattlynch (27th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Whilst Open DNS is fine what happens when your kids start changing the DNS on the devices themselves or using the anonymous proxies that they are always trying at school!.
    you configure your router to use OpenDNS as its dns server and then block port 53 from any device on your network outwards. Your router has to support that, my o2wirelessbox did so does my new bebox.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Whilst OpenDNS is fine what happens when your kids start changing the DNS on the devices themselves or using the anonymous proxies that they are always trying at school!
    With the number of Internet connected devices there are at home these days you really need a network-level solution. Other than OpenDNS, I'm not sure what you would use?

Unless you have the advantage of owning your own Sonicwall or PaloAlto at home, without help from your ISP or a half decent firewall you're snookered!
    Any Linux-powered router that enables you to create iptables rules should do. e.g. an Asus RT-N66U with the TomatoUSB firmware.

Code:
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to $(nvram get lan_ipaddr)
    All DNS queries are now intercepted (TCP/UDP port 53) by the iptable rules and forced to use the DNS servers configured on the router. (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 26th May 2013 at 08:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    The UK Safer Internet Centre has got the big 4 UK ISPs to put their parental control instructions in one place

http://www.saferinternet.org.uk/advi...ental-controls

Also K9 web protection , for example, works across many platforms and can be used to control devices not on the home wifi
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 26th May 2013 at 09:35 AM.

Thank Post
    I have used K9 in the past on machines that needed filtering and have also used I think it was NetNanny type product.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast