+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Filtering at home in Technical; I only allow out 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 from my router for DNS. No problem changing them the Internet would stop ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I only allow out 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 from my router for DNS. No problem changing them the Internet would stop working. Proxys should be blocked by opendns. Pfsence is the best firewall you can run on low powered hardware.

Thank Post
    I agree with the suggestion that you find out if your ISP offers this service. Many do. It is the advice I give to parents who ask about filtering software following my Online Safety for Parents presentations.

Thank Post
    Article in PC Pro a few days ago covered what the ISPs are doing.

BT Homehubs won't let you change the DNS, so until BT get their network level solution live, the only solutions I can recommend to parents with BT at home who ask me involves buying and configuring more kit.

Thank Post
    "[Any Linux-powered router that enables you to create iptables rules should do. e.g. an Asus RT-N66U with the TomatoUSB firmware."

I have the Asus RT-N66 router with the factory software installed. Is there a way to accomplish with the factory load? I'm not sure I'm up to loading that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatherof9 View Post
    I have the Asus RT-N66 router with the factory software installed. Is there a way to accomplish with the factory load? I'm not sure I'm up to loading that.
    Not sure, but you could try the AsusWRT-Merlin firmware instead. It's a bit easier to install. Simply download the latest .zip, extract the contents, then go to Administration » Firmware Upgrade on the router, browse for the .trx file and click Upload.

According to this webpage, you can use the following iptables rule on your RT-N66U (once you have installed the 'Merlin' firmware above and enabled JFFS) to redirect all DNS queries to the server(s) defined on the router (e.g. OpenDNS).

Code:
    iptables -I PREROUTING -t nat -p udp -s `nvram get lan_ipaddr`/`nvram get lan_netmask` ! -d `nvram get lan_ipaddr`/`nvram get lan_netmask` --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination `nvram get lan_ipaddr`
    If you decide to install the Tomato (64k) firmware in the future, it's probably a good idea to update the routers bootloader to v1.0.1.3 (if it is v1.0.1.2) to prevent it from being bricked. Details below (although I wouldn't attempt this if you are unsure of things).

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

Fatherof9 (2nd August 2013)

Thank Post
    I have a pfsense box, with Dansguardian attached which does all my filtering but to be honest I only really filter things like pop-ups.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OpenDNS is good, but only if it is set at the router level in not on the devices themselves or it can be easily overridden. OpenDNS also doesn't help at all with filtering google image searches.

I think the best solution is to use the iBoss Home combined with OpenDNS configured as a second layer filter for the really bad stuff in case either is circumvented. The iBoss is an awesome device in the granularity of filtering and reporting. It enables you to block social media sites very granularly (view but not post to Facebook, etc,) and has clean image searching redirects to lock in safe search on any browser on any device.

http://www.iboss.com/home_overview.html

Of course, this does nothing to stop someone from using 3G/4G to circumvent filtering at home, school, or work. This is why some level of ISP based filtering would be a good thing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12