+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, IE8 support in Technical; Hello I'm an employee at Oxford University Press and I'm trying to gather information around IE8 (in particular). When looking ...

Thank Post

IE8 support

Hello

I'm an employee at Oxford University Press and I'm trying to gather information around IE8 (in particular). When looking at HTML5 elements to replace flash content we're experiencing a number of difficulties in fallback solutions, esp around IE8.

If you are running IE8 on our network, is this the only browser (and version) you are running? Do you also run Firefox/Chrome/Safari/Opera? If so what versions do you run? Also, I realise sometimes this isn't completely straightforward, where you might need to run multiple versions of a browser due to legacy support on older software/sites that departments are still using. Please could you also highlight the complexities around this. Any help you could give me would be extremely helpful.

Many thanks for any help or insight you can give me.

Pete Jackson

Thank Post
    We support anything that hits our web server.... thanks to BYOD for both staff and students, we have to cater for every possibility, so yes, that means having legacy versions of our website and webapps hanging around that have to be maintained as well as our latest dogs-danglies html5 versions. The academy's own devices run anything from IE8 thru 10 depending which network they're on. Some machines also run Firefox or Chrome. But with everyone moving towards BYOD, asking what versions folks are supporting becomes redundant. We have to ensure it works on as many platforms and browsers as possible and thus rely on serverside detection to forward clients to the most suited version of our sites, and then client side feature support sniffing within each version to work out the finer grained stuff (yepnope and modernizr).

Untitled.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Most staff use Chrome and FF which we keep updated.
    The IE is the default install for XP and win7, whatever that is. I don't get many calls about it as no-one really uses it.

Thank Post
    Hi

Many thanks for all the responses and for the private messages.

If you are able to spare a minute or two to fill in the really short online survey then I'd be incredibly grateful.

Browser survey

Thanks in advance

Pete Jackson

Thank Post
    unfortunately we are stuck on windows xp due to legacy software so the default browser is ie8 we also have chrome installed, but until we can upgrade to windows 7 we can't use ie9 or ie10

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread