+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Should our Fortigate 40c be slowing our internet this much? in Technical; Hi all We've got a Fortigate 40c doing our firewall and filtering. We've got a fibre line which we were ...

Thank Post

Should our Fortigate 40c be slowing our internet this much?

Hi all

We've got a Fortigate 40c doing our firewall and filtering. We've got a fibre line which we were quoted as getting 66Mb down and 20Mb up.

When the Firtigate box is plugged in, our speeds drop to 25Mb down and 10Mb up. If I bypass the firewall and plug directly into the router, our speeds are near enough what we were quoted.

Should that box be slowing the traffic that much? If so, am I right to complain and try and get a faster firewall?

Thanks

Thank Post
    That does sound a bit slow - you'll always get a tiny bit of a speed drop off, but that seems excessive.

Are you sure it's not cabling or a duplex mismatch? (Or some other config issue).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It shouldn't be - is it provided by your ISP? Have a chat, they might be able to do something.
    If not, maybe try disabling things like inline AV and see if that makes a difference, and would give you a starting point for diagnosis

Thank Post
    The 40C is quite a small box, how much load are you putting on? Its designed only for a small network really. Do you still get that speed when all filtering is turned off? Also are you on the latest Forti OS?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Latest isn't reliable. (MR5)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Unfortunately, I don't get to fiddle with most of the settings, as it's managed by our broadband provider.

Here's what I've found out:

1. Firmware version is v4.0,build0656,130211 (MR3 Patch 12)

2. If I disable AV it goes to 32Mb down

3. As for load, we've got 2 servers, about 60 workstations, 25 laptops and a bank of 30 netbooks. Unifi managed wifi too

Thanks

EDIT:

Here's the reply I got from them:

I have looked into this with our Technical Team, and the issue with your speed is not being limited by the firewall, but by general network contention over the BT network. The 66m/b shown as max. available speeds can be mis-leading, there may be times you can / do get that speed, but also many times when you get much less.

We are moving to a cloud based Firewall solution within the next 6 – 8 weeks and will happily move you to that solution once it is available, and that will remove any doubt, but we do not expect you to be able to get greater speeds than you’re already seeing.

From the several hundred primary school customers we have around the UK, our experience tells us that 25 m/b should not inhibit what you are trying to do with the network, are you finding you need more speed?
    Last edited by Koocha; 7th May 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you told them about disabling AV increasing the speed and that it's vastly faster if you bypass the firewall?

Thank Post
    I've told them (not about the AV, just found that out now), but I was trying it again today and I couldn't replicate the speeds I had been receiving in the past.

I'll keep trying and see about the speeds.

See, I've got a 40Mb fibre connection at home through Sky and my speeds are pretty much what they should be. My max download speed is 4.4MBps which I'm more than happy about.

When we were told we could get 66Mbps I thought "Yes, that'll be at least 6MBps", but it's working out to be more like 3MBps.

If anything I'm really disappointed by it.

Thank Post
    That doesn't sound right at all. If you're only getting 3Mbit download that's a lower threshold breach and needs to be taken up with BT.

It's true that although the line can support speeds of 66Mbit that BT can't necessarily deliver this to the ISP (I presume us here) as FTTC is not a 1:1 contention ratio service. Still though you should really be getting speeds of 20Mbit + for the vast majority of the times.

I know the updated version using web filtering proxy flow mode can put load on the devices if heavy usage occurs but it should still never go that low. I'm in the office tomorrow afternoon so will give you a call.

FYI if you're not happy I'll make sure we give you an upgrade to our new hosted Fortigate / Lightspeed FOC which will be here very very soon. That gives you carrier grade Fortigates and you will never have any issue wiht load on the box.

I'll send you a PM too.

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    That doesn't sound right at all. If you're only getting 3Mbit download that's a lower threshold breach and needs to be taken up with BT.

It's true that although the line can support speeds of 66Mbit that BT can't necessarily deliver this to the ISP (I presume us here) as FTTC is not a 1:1 contention ratio service. Still though you should really be getting speeds of 20Mbit + for the vast majority of the times.

I know the updated version using web filtering proxy flow mode can put load on the devices if heavy usage occurs but it should still never go that low. I'm in the office tomorrow afternoon so will give you a call.

FYI if you're not happy I'll make sure we give you an upgrade to our new hosted Fortigate / Lightspeed FOC which will be here very very soon. That gives you carrier grade Fortigates and you will never have any issue wiht load on the box.

I'll send you a PM too.

Thanks

Dave
    Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply.

I'll reply to your PM now.

BTW, we're getting 25Mbps downstream, meaning our actual download rate is 3MBps. That's what I meant by that.

Thank Post
    phew, there's quite a difference between 3Mbit and 3Mbyte

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    phew, there's quite a difference between 3Mbit and 3Mbyte
    There is indeed!

You still giving me a call?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread