+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Bonded ADSL - or alternatives? in Technical; Hi All, I am looking into getting a quicker broadband connection for a rural school that is a long way ...
    gsk

Thank Post

Bonded ADSL - or alternatives?

Hi All,

I am looking into getting a quicker broadband connection for a rural school that is a long way from the exchange. They currently have a 2mb Learning Stream connection which is very obviously slow but symmetrical and guaranteed. They are outside the range for an EFM connection, a single adsl line will deliver 3mbps down and 0.4 up but isn't guaranteed and wholesale fibre is double the price of the LS connection and therefore unaffordable. I have seen to other potential ideas after looking around on the net. 1 is a satellite connection with someone like tooway but have written it off due to poor consumer reviews so imagine that its nowhere near reliable enough for a school. the other idea was bonded adsl. Eclipse do a 4-line solution which would deliver 10-12 Mbps is about 2k but I would like to - if possible go with someone who can do the whole managed router/firewall/filtering service too. Any ideas?

Thank Post
    outside of bonding the only other I can think of is a wireless option if one exists near you.
    Last edited by KK20; 26th April 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk View Post
    Hi All,

I am looking into getting a quicker broadband connection for a rural school that is a long way from the exchange. They currently have a 2mb Learning Stream connection which is very obviously slow but symmetrical and guaranteed. They are outside the range for an EFM connection, a single adsl line will deliver 3mbps down and 0.4 up but isn't guaranteed and wholesale fibre is double the price of the LS connection and therefore unaffordable. I have seen to other potential ideas after looking around on the net. 1 is a satellite connection with someone like tooway but have written it off due to poor consumer reviews so imagine that its nowhere near reliable enough for a school. the other idea was bonded adsl. Eclipse do a 4-line solution which would deliver 10-12 Mbps is about 2k but I would like to - if possible go with someone who can do the whole managed router/firewall/filtering service too. Any ideas?
    Hi GSK,

we do bonded DSL with content filteirng and security all in. I'll PM you.

Dave

Thank Post
    err for some reason I can't PM you. Edugeek keeps on crashing!

Do send me a PM or give me a call if you like and I'd be happy to help.

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    The school you're talking about sounds a lot like us, except that our ADSL option is only 1Mbps. Our options were either a bonded solution, leased line, or ADSL and pray for FTTC to arrive at some point. The reality of the situation is that it simply isn't an ideal world, and

This isn't really helpful to you, but we were bailed out by Gigaclear committing to build a fibre to the property network in our village, and with any luck, come september / october we'll be looking at peak speeds of ~900Mbps up/down. Complete, total, absolute overkill, but who am I to complain!?

Schools Broadband were pretty awesome at answering every question I could think up, and were my preferred quote before Gigaclear gave an offer too good to refuse.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk View Post
    Hi All,

Where in the country are you as Boundless Superfast Broadband do a great Point-to-Point Service, I have them at home and I get 10/5 as opposed to the 0.5/0.5 I got from Sky because of distance from the exchange. They can offer packages up to 100/100, though for the full whack, then it's costly (obviously).

The other thing to do is talk to your local broadband consortium and see if they offer the wireless option. I have it from CLEO at one school which gives 10/10 as opposed to the 2/0.5).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Driftingashore View Post
    The school you're talking about sounds a lot like us, except that our ADSL option is only 1Mbps. Our options were either a bonded solution, leased line, or ADSL and pray for FTTC to arrive at some point. The reality of the situation is that it simply isn't an ideal world, and

This isn't really helpful to you, but we were bailed out by Gigaclear committing to build a fibre to the property network in our village, and with any luck, come september / october we'll be looking at peak speeds of ~900Mbps up/down. Complete, total, absolute overkill, but who am I to complain!?

Schools Broadband were pretty awesome at answering every question I could think up, and were my preferred quote before Gigaclear gave an offer too good to refuse.
    Yes Gigaclear network will be good where it's available although I'll eat my mouse mat if you actually ever got speeds of 900Mbit out of your connection

FYI we may be getting a wholesale agreement with Gigaclear so watch this space as you can have our other services bundled in with it.

Dave

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    Yes Gigaclear network will be good where it's available although I'll eat my mouse mat if you actually ever got speeds of 900Mbit out of your connection

FYI we may be getting a wholesale agreement with Gigaclear so watch this space as you can have our other services bundled in with it.

Dave
    Yeah, 900Mbps is quoted as the highest theoretical speed in bursts, so it's highly unlikely that we'll ever get that, or probably anywhere near. A school in a nearby village was tested at ~600Mbps though, which is still impressive - but web filters, firewalls, antivirus etc will all have their own throughput limitations that will come into play, and what we get at the end will be the speed of the lowest throughput device in the chain. I'll keep testing to see if I can wrangle 900Mbps out somehow though, as I've never seen someone attempt to eat a mouse mat before.. though I've certainly seen evidence of attempts in our IT room

I'd be interested in hearing if you do get a wholesale agreement with Gigaclear, though it would have to happen fairly soon if it were to affect our decision this time around.

gsk

Thank Post
    SchoolsBroadband - I left a message on your website before i posted this thread! PM won't send for me either. I will give you a call next week.

Gigaclear looks exciting but will take a lot of engaging with the parish coucil and local community so I would imagine it would be a 12-18 month timeframe minimum?
    Last edited by gsk; 27th April 2013 at 09:11 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread