+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, What on earth is going on with Northern Grid? in Technical; What on earth is going on with Northern Grid? We've had a few short broadband outages this week, including one ...
    Thank Post

Question What on earth is going on with Northern Grid?

What on earth is going on with Northern Grid?

We've had a few short broadband outages this week, including one this morning for about 15 minutes.

Has anyone else on the Northern Grid/BT broadband service been affected?

Andrew

Thank Post
    Yes. Yesterday lunch iirc (maybe the day before). Ran around like headless chickens thinking it was TMG only for everything to spring back to life after 15 mins.

Thank Post
    We have had periods of slowness.... I thought it was us. As I have just changed the entire site over to windows 7. Sorry but I am pleased that others are having troubles on the NGFL connection. Puts my mind at rest!

Thank Post
    We had two outages one on Thursday and one yesterday, we rang them up and apparently bt were doing some work.

Thank Post
    More Northern Grid/BT broadband outages again today!

About 10 minutes on each occasion, two already this morning!

Rang Northern Grid yesterday to learn that nearly all of their staff have gone, leaving only a couple of people in charge.

I don't know about any other schools, but we signed-up for a 5 year deal last year and if the service is now going to become unreliable then we are not happy.

I would be very interested to hear from any one connected with Northern Grid or any other schools who may have more information regarding this situation and the likely future of our schools broadband via NG.

Andrew

Thank Post
    From what i understand one of my schools had issues yesterday and then again today when i was in. Was doing a antivirus update so thought it was me, but glad to hear its a problem at there end.
    I phoned my other school and they were experiencing issues to. 10 minutes on then 3 minutes off. Some others in our town are having similar issues.
    We are tied in for 5 years too, however neither schools are happy with the service both speed and reliability wise.

Just what are the alternatives?

Thank Post

Angry

Had this email from Northern Grid late yesterday:

"Dear Colleague,

A brief update on the issues today with the network.

There is an issue on the firewall which BT are working to resolve with their 3rd party suppliers. On their recommendation BT have re-booted the firewall but as we know that hasn't resolved the underlying problem.

BT have uploaded the logs from the firewall to the third party support and they are analysing that data now. They will be providing updates throughout the night and will update you accordingly as soon as we receive them.

Regards

Lianne"

I really hope they get this sorted out today!

Andrew

Thank Post
    Is there any software that we can use to identify how long the network is dropped for our schools now want to monitor this

Thank Post
    It's a DOS attack, apparently. Just received this from Northern Grid:

"Colleagues,

BT have acknowledged that there was a series of intermittent connectivity outages over the last week, apologised for the disruption to schools across the Northern Grid network and recognise that this was a major incident.

Northern Grid continue to work with BT to help them understand the extent of disruption to teaching and learning when internet connectivity is lost for even the briefest of periods of time. We know the challenges and pressures our teaching colleagues face when a crucial element of a learning opportunity is missed because ‘the internet went down’ and are working hard, on your behalf to ensure this is not repeated in future.

BT have identified the cause of the outages and believe the issue will be resolved imminently.

In summary

Effectively this was a significant continual denial of service attack to specific IP subnet addresses which was are not in use.
    As the addresses were not in use, the firewall was unable to redirect the traffic and this caused the loss of service experienced across the network during each attack.
    BT are currently implementing rules to block external traffic directed to IP subnet ranges which are not in use.
    BT have recorded immediate improvements and the network is expected to be fully functional today.
    Please be assured that Northern Grid will continue to monitor the performance of the network, and work on your behalf, to ensure you have the connectivity you need to deliver high quality teaching and learning every day.

Regards

Lianne"

Wow!

Andrew

Thank Post
    Even worse today no connections at all this morning

Thank Post
    It's been terrible all day here.

I just can't understand how a big organisation like BT are unable to fix this!

It's dragged on for well over a week now!

Andrew

Thank Post
    Can i ask a question and it may be a dumb question. At home I pay £15 a month for example for infinity broadband with speedtest I get 50mb download and 30mb upload. I know that is a private line.
    But why are the schools paying lots more for a lot slower connection with a worse service?? The only benifit I see is that there is the smooth wall cloud filtering.

13. Thanks to MattDLEA from:

GTX (29th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Its very poor here again this morning!

What I can't understand is why its taking them soooooo long to sort this out???

They have said its been a massive DOS attack, but surely it doesnt take over a week to re-configure a firewall????

If this was affecting domestic BT broadband customers in this way it would be on the national news!!!

Not happy

Andrew

Thank Post
    I think they need better DOS mitigation, depending on what type of DOS attack it is usually you get back up and running in a day, if need be pull the plug / reboot everything and find the source.

Thank Post
    I wont moan too much, but just to add that we also share your woes!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast