+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, What on earth is going on with Northern Grid? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Can i ask a question and it may be a dumb question. At home I pay £15 a month for example for infinity broadband with speedtest I get 50mb download and 30mb upload. I know that is a private line.
    But why are the schools paying lots more for a lot slower connection with a worse service?? The only benifit I see is that there is the smooth wall cloud filtering.
    Without knowing everything the school supplied services provide it's hard to say or compare the two, your home connection is contended i.e shared with other homes so speed can vary widely, schools connections include the firewalls, filtering, possibly email services, access to things like the regional broadband consortium content and other such services.

Ben

Thank Post
    Its just come back on for us, about 10 minutes ago.

Lets see how long it lasts!

Andrew

3. Thanks to adhutton from:

benjie (30th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Issue is down in Kent too, apparently Kent schools all had an issue this morning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Issue is down in Kent too, apparently Kent schools all had an issue this morning.
    Indeed. Up and down all morning.

Thank Post
    Sorry to hear about this, We pulled out of northern grid mainly a cost issue, we went separately had cheaper quotes from a few suppliers (exa networks, RM, Virgin, BT) but in the end went with RM who were underselling a Virgin 100 meg fibre by 2k and got a 5 year contract with them for just shy of 10k per year. Got a new Tina box (cachepilot equivalent) off Equiinet with protex filtering VM cant remember exact costs but around 2k with hardware and support contract. This did take a bit of ironing out kinks but touch wood has been reliable ever since.

Thank Post
    Ours came back about the same time, we had intermittent service last week and no internet yesterday and this morning. NGFL do not seem to grasp that we rely on this for lessons - at this time of year a wasted lesson costs our students in exam prep time etc. Can we get a refund for lost days?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon_Wright View Post
    Ours came back about the same time, we had intermittent service last week and no internet yesterday and this morning. NGFL do not seem to grasp that we rely on this for lessons - at this time of year a wasted lesson costs our students in exam prep time etc. Can we get a refund for lost days?
    I completely agree. We signed up for 5 years with them last year and we've had loads of bother since they have gone over to BT.

When NGFL were supplied by Easynet it was rock solid for 99.9% of the time!

Part of the problem with NGFL, in my opinion, is that most of their staff have now gone and they appear to be running on a staff of about 2 or 3 people. I am not saying its the current staff's fault, but all of their experienced people have gone and that has got to be affecting their response to schools!

Lets hope it settles down now.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Just had this update from NGFL:

"Dear Colleagues,

We have received the following update from BT regarding the outages we have experienced: -

Network access is once again restored. CPU processors are working as they should.

This restoration was a result of blocking the 3 new IP addresses which were causing an issue.

The firewall team are now able to put the rules into the firewall which will block unallocated IP addresses to prevent external access from having this effect.

I will update you once this is done.

The Firewall team and checkpoint are still working on the firewall to establish a root cause and source ID if possible for the DOS attack and to ensure there are no underlying issues caused by recent events.

Thanks

Janet"

Andrew
    Last edited by adhutton; 30th April 2013 at 02:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adhutton View Post
    Just had this update from NGFL:

"Dear Colleagues,

We have received the following update from BT regarding the outages we have experienced: -

Network access is once again restored. CPU processors are working as they should.

This restoration was a result of blocking the 3 new IP addresses which were causing an issue.

The firewall team are now able to put the rules into the firewall which will block unallocated IP addresses to prevent external access from having this effect.

I will update you once this is done.

The Firewall team and checkpoint are still working on the firewall to establish a root cause and source ID if possible for the DOS attack and to ensure there are no underlying issues caused by recent events.

Thanks

Janet"

Andrew
    Happy to see they didn't have the cheek to call it a DDOS attack. Not being a wikid hack0r I may be naive but firstly, how can 3 or so IPs bring down a firewall? Secondly why isn't there measures in place on the firewall to block IPs which are DOSing it. And thirdly why did it take over a week for the engineers to find these 3 IPs?

Thank Post
    It'll take them so long to find the IP's because no doubt in the routing table there will be hundreds of thousands of IP's and thats not there own thats everyone else's too from BGP peers. It'll probs be a Juniper MX series router too so thats a lot of IP's it can hold in it's tables, so tracing an IP isnt as easy as you think it would be if your trailing hundreds of thousands of IP's. Once they find a 'suspect' IP they need to find the source, it may not be an IP directly connected to them it could be from one of the upstream providers/peers, this means they need to contact those peers to resolve it at there end and block it on there firewalls / routers locally.

It's a painful process.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon_Wright View Post
    Hi Sharon,

We are busy looking through the contract as we speak.As this is not the first issue we have had. When the connection got switched in summer. The guys came out installed and everything worked that was in the holidays, once all the schools came back the first week it was just to much for the system.

Now we have had a week of very intermittent downtime along with some full days with out internet.
    It may be worth looking at the back page of the contract. As our thinking is that this is a critical fault total loss of service which should have been resolved in 5 hours. Would be interested in seeing what others think...

Thank Post
    Can I ask for the people who phoned BT up and logged the fault with them have you been pestered with phone calls from a company asking for feedback on the service?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Can I ask for the people who phoned BT up and logged the fault with them have you been pestered with phone calls from a company asking for feedback on the service?
    They have callled us once. I answered a few questions on the phone (took about 5 minutes) and gave BT a 'terrible' rating for this incident!

Andrew

Thank Post
    I know this is an old thread, but just wondered if any other Northern Grid/BT schools were having any Internet problems recently?

Our connection has been poor (laggy/slow) now for a couple of weeks since their aborted firewall changeover on 9th January.

Anyone else got issues?

Cheers - Andrew

Thank Post
    Yes we have had trouble since the Firewall upgrade 10 days ago. It keeps stopping intermittenly for different lengths of time, our IT Tech rang BTyesterday and they said "NGFL are looking into it at their end". Hope we are not in for a repeat performance of the upgraded firewall from last year.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast