+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, LAN to LAN VPN - Draytek/Cisco in Technical; Hi all, I'm a little bit of a novice when it comes to VPN so do bear with me. I'm ...

Thank Post

LAN to LAN VPN - Draytek/Cisco

Hi all,

I'm a little bit of a novice when it comes to VPN so do bear with me.

I'm trying to set up a LAN to LAN VPN connection from our office to our hosting provider. At their end is a Cisco ASA box and we have a Vigor 2850n.

Our provider gave us the Cisco VPN client, which when I use works perfectly, when connected I can RDP to the VM sat behind the Cisco. What I want to do us use our 2850n instead of the Cisco VPN Client. I have set the LAN to LAN connection up, the connection is established OK but I there is very little traffic being transmitted out and zero traffic coming back in.

It works flawlessly through the Cisco software, so I expect is something not configured correctly on my side.

Any pointers as to where I should be looking?

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you checked that it is a compatible setup with the vendor, Cisco tunnels are a massive pain whe anything else is in the way and their implementation may not comply with all the same standards. I have had simmilar issues trying to use cisco tunnels through ISA (using their client software) as ISA wated to enforce TCP/IP rules and the Cisco implementation wanted to break all of them, this lead to half ope tuels or ones that were stable for only a few secods while traffic was beig passed through, a cotiuious ping would keep these open though. I can't remember what finally solved this as it was a combo of allowing a stack of protocols through ISA without any sanitising or inspection alog with a software update of both the client and server side. TBH it may be cheaper and easier just getting a little Cisco 800 series router to use as a gateway for it that speaks the same language. At any rate check with them if they have had that work and if they ca set it up with a more universal VPN type if they can to give that a try. Also check for any firmware updates for the Draytek and ask them to do the same at their end just in case.

Thank Post
    What kind of VPN are you using from the Draytek? I presume it's a dial-in? is it PPTP, IPSEC or a.n.other?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme1978 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a little bit of a novice when it comes to VPN so do bear with me.

I'm trying to set up a LAN to LAN VPN connection from our office to our hosting provider. At their end is a Cisco ASA box and we have a Vigor 2850n.

Our provider gave us the Cisco VPN client, which when I use works perfectly, when connected I can RDP to the VM sat behind the Cisco. What I want to do us use our 2850n instead of the Cisco VPN Client. I have set the LAN to LAN connection up, the connection is established OK but I there is very little traffic being transmitted out and zero traffic coming back in.

It works flawlessly through the Cisco software, so I expect is something not configured correctly on my side.

Any pointers as to where I should be looking?

Many thanks!

Thank Post
    Its IPsec.

The Draytek is here at the office, and the Cisco is at Rise's (Fasthosts) Datacentre. I have the Draytek set to Dial Out to the Cisco. The VPN is established but no traffic comes back from the other end. Using the Cisco VPN client its flawless, but can't get the Draytek to work.

Thank Post
    Eventually figured this out and am kind of kicking myself a bit for wasting so much time on it when there was a quick fix.

The VM was deployed before I'd configured the Site-to-Site details on the Rise Control Panel, so the static routes were not applied to the VM. Redeployed the VM and all working great

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread