+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Smoothwall Idiots Guide. in Technical; Does anybody have any links to a good (idiots guide) tutorials as to the setting up of the smoothwall web ...
    Thank Post

Smoothwall Idiots Guide.

Does anybody have any links to a good (idiots guide) tutorials as to the setting up of the smoothwall web filtering ???

We have been told by our local authority today that come the 8th April we will lose all central services as they will no longer be supporting schools at all, this means we will lose web filtering, anti-virus, vpn access, possibly internet connection as our DNS points to a central authority server.

So now on top of everything else I have to deal with I now have all this to contend with as well, I am considering sophos for AV and smoothwall for web-filtering as both are provided by the YHGFL and I believe there pricing structure is excellent, so just VPN and DNS to sort after that.

Thank Post
    Smoothwall does road warrior VPN....

Thank Post
    Hm, would be a nice sort of thing to have indeed... not something we have lying around sadly... makes me think though :-/

Thank Post
    Smoothwall has a channel on youtube for setting up vpn. Its very easy and very straight forward. Follow it, you cant go wrong.

As for dns, can you not use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

Someone coming from websense and cisco to smoothwall, things kinda just make sense and ive been running it for 4 weeks.
    Last edited by timbo343; 19th March 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staningrimsby View Post
    Does anybody have any links to a good (idiots guide) tutorials as to the setting up of the smoothwall web filtering ???

We have been told by our local authority today that come the 8th April we will lose all central services as they will no longer be supporting schools at all, this means we will lose web filtering, anti-virus, vpn access, possibly internet connection as our DNS points to a central authority server.

So now on top of everything else I have to deal with I now have all this to contend with as well, I am considering sophos for AV and smoothwall for web-filtering as both are provided by the YHGFL and I believe there pricing structure is excellent, so just VPN and DNS to sort after that.
    To leave the LEA you hav to give 90 days notice, for them to dump you they can give you a month, thats good of them isnt it.

If your purchasing a smoothwall box through YHGfL they have inhouse support, couldn't you get them to set it up for you in the first instance?

You can always create a virtual smoothwall after the event and mess about with setting that up if you wanted to

The YouTube channel would be the other place to look though as was mentioned (or pay smoothwall themselves to come out for a day if YHGfL wont / cant do it).

You've not exactly been left very long for testing / demoing different options, getting quotes etc have you....
    Last edited by RTFM; 19th March 2013 at 09:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staningrimsby View Post

Have you seen our videos on Smoothwall - YouTube ?

You might find those of help. They are not step by step guides but they do explain key principles behind the web filtering configurations.

As a Smoothwall customer you would also have access to a library of Knowledgebase articles to help you troubleshoot web filtering issues.

It is probably worth mentioning here that our new Service Improvement Team are doing a lot of work on knowledgebase and tutorial resources so watch this space.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 19th April 2013 at 01:03 PM.

7. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

ConradJones (21st April 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread