+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Internet connection... in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Internet connection...

So I've finally decided on a firewall (Palo Alto) and almost finalised a decision on a filter (Lightspeed or Bloxx) now I need to decide on an internet providor, but first i need to decide on the technology to use.....

Now the majority of us are on Leased lines, which works well enough but it's so damn expensive. We had a quote for a connection from Exa which happened to be FTTC, but I'm a bit skeptical after reading a comment from @SchoolsBroadband (of which I've just send a note via their website to contact me ) in another thread that the 1:1 contention ratio they're claiming is legit?

We're currently on a 30mb on a 100mb bearer leased line from the LA, we're 100% certain about leaving this connection behind and never looking back, but all of my leased line quotes so far put us at just over £10kpa for the same speed which we feel is just too much. The FTTC offering was less than half the cost of a leased line for 75mb, EFM only goes up to 35mb and I'm still unsure of the cost.

Can anyone who's gone through the same process shed some light on what they've done or doing in this situation? Are leased lines really needed or can other technologies fill the gap?

and here i was breathing a sigh of relief after finally deciding on a firewall, thinking the rest would be easy choice....HA yea right, just trying to get 3 quotes for the same technology (for example exa supplying FTTC, and i can't seem to get any directly comparable quotes!) seems to be hard work so far...
    Last edited by mrbios; 18th March 2013 at 02:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Can you get fibre to cab, we're around the corner and BT have informed us and Marling that we can't get it for at least a year! Stuck with SWGfL for at least another 12 months!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Can you get fibre to cab, we're around the corner and BT have informed us and Marling that we can't get it for at least a year! Stuck with SWGfL for at least another 12 months!
    Really? You and Marling are closer to the exchange than we are and we can definitely get it here, we were assured of that by a few providors, hell you're practically across the road from the exchange aren't you? haha.

Our SWGfL contract ends in August, which is handy, gives us the summer to do the full switchover.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Really? You and Marling are closer to the exchange than we are and we can definitely get it here, we were assured of that by a few providors, hell you're practically across the road from the exchange aren't you? haha.

Our SWGfL contract ends in August, which is handy, gives us the summer to do the full switchover.
    Yep thats what we were told, we've both had to go with SWGfL on 12 month contracts as we both run out next month and they were the cheapest.

Thank Post
    http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...63_2011_09.pdfyes beware beware of the 1:1 FTTC claims of any compay.

It is just not possible to do 1:1 on normal FTTC.

There is GEA-FTTC which can give you a 1:1 contention ratio but I believe only up to 20Mbit and this is much more expensive than normal FTTC anyway.

Now don't get me wrong a 70Mbit FTTC will normally outperform a 30Mbit leased line (except for the upload of course which is restricted to a max of 20Mbit) but the SLA's as standard are below which are nowhere near a leased line on fibre.

FTTC with no EVE (Elevated Best Efforts) - BT will guarantee a speed of 12Mbit for 90% of the time during the busiest 3 hour period.
    FTTC with EVE - BT will guarantee a speed of 16Mbit for 90% of the time during the busiest 3 hour period.

Then there's also the care level which I'd highly recommend putting on A) the phone line and B) the broadband connection.

Standard BT Wholesale SLA on the broadband is 24 hour response, 48 hour fix. With Enhanced care that'd reduced to 6 hour response and 24 hour fix.

Standard BT wholesale SLA on a phone line (care level 2 is standard) is clear fault by 23:59 next working day. Monday to Saturday only. You can also pay for high care level on the phone lines which are

Care level 3 - report by 13:00, clear by 23:59 the same working day. Report after 13:00, clear by 12:59 next working day

Care level 4 - clear within 6 hours any day of the week any time

But don't just take my word for it, see here!

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...63_2011_09.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    So I've finally decided on a firewall (Palo Alto) and almost finalised a decision on a filter (Lightspeed or Bloxx) now I need to decide on an internet providor, but first i need to decide on the technology to use.....

Now the majority of us are on Leased lines, which works well enough but it's so damn expensive. We had a quote for a connection from Exa which happened to be FTTC, but I'm a bit skeptical after reading a comment from @SchoolsBroadband (of which I've just send a note via their website to contact me ) in another thread that the 1:1 contention ratio they're claiming is legit?

We're currently on a 30mb on a 100mb bearer leased line from the LA, we're 100% certain about leaving this connection behind and never looking back, but all of my leased line quotes so far put us at just over £10kpa for the same speed which we feel is just too much. The FTTC offering was less than half the cost of a leased line for 75mb, EFM only goes up to 35mb and I'm still unsure of the cost.

Can anyone who's gone through the same process shed some light on what they've done or doing in this situation? Are leased lines really needed or can other technologies fill the gap?

and here i was breathing a sigh of relief after finally deciding on a firewall, thinking the rest would be easy choice....HA yea right, just trying to get 3 quotes for the same technology (for example exa supplying FTTC, and i can't seem to get any directly comparable quotes!) seems to be hard work so far...

6. Thanks to SchoolsBroadband from:

plexer (18th March 2013)

Thank Post
    I would be really interested to know how OP got on with this project. I'm going through the exact same process at the moment and would love to know how it's working out for you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I would be really interested to know how OP got on with this project. I'm going through the exact same process at the moment and would love to know how it's working out for you.
    Hi sven, weighing up all the options, prices and information i had, ive pretty much finalised my decision on a 50mb leased line from schools broadband along with their hosted fortigate firewall and light speed filtering. The savings over buying everything separate were quite large and they offered the best leased line price of any supplier id got quote from.

I wanted a Palo alto firewall as my first choice but fortinet was my second choice, and after my 3 presentations and brief plays with their software light speed came out as our first choice.

As for fttc im quite convinced that its simply not up to the task for a school of our size, the logic in everything schools broadband told me was flawless and the additional benefits they provide gave an added bonus

if you want anymore info let me know, happy to provide everything ive got on it all. Hopefully this post isn't too messy as in on my phone until tomorrow afternoon :P

Thank Post
    @mrbios - Did you ever make a decision on Lightspeed or Bloxx? We are leaning towards Bloxx at the moment but I can't find many users on here that have. Cheers

Thank Post
    We pay 16k for 100Mb leased line from BT so the pricing for 30Mb seems about right.
    @themightymrp In terms of Lightspeed or Bloxx. I would go with Lightspeed their inline filter is so easy to use and just works without needing someone to baby sit it all day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    @mrbios - Did you ever make a decision on Lightspeed or Bloxx? We are leaning towards Bloxx at the moment but I can't find many users on here that have. Cheers
    Yea we decided on lightspeed in the end. Overall we're set on a 100mb line with lightspeed filter + fortigate firewall all from @SchoolsBroadband , ended up getting an awesome price on it all that was simply too good not to go with (The all in cost of filter, firewall and 100mb line was the same or cheaper than most other suppliers JUST for the line) order form is being picked up today infact!

The main technical reason we went for lightspeed was down to the different end user capabilities, bloxx have them coming in an update this year but we preferred the tried and tested over the newly released in this aspect. Something that @Eappariello said in his presentation of lightspeed to us also really stuck with me, and that's where he said something about everyone else still trying to find how much they can block, whereas lightsped are trying to give access back but in a controlled manner.....it was something to that effect but put in a more meaningful way after hearing him say it though i started looking at all our options from a slightly different angle, and i found lightspeed to give the most user based control. Not to mention their front end for the light speed management was so much cleaner and intuitive in design than the others seemed to be (which again gave me confidence in the teacher access part)

I was also quite impressed that lightspeed were very focused on their own product. Naming no names but another company appeared to try and repeatedly bash other products as a priority over focussing on their own. Of course this only reflects on the presentations though, not the actual product itself, but it certainly helps sell it when you're looking at something you're going to want support with. So if a company shows how dedicated it is to it's own product rather than competing with others, it instantly gives me confidence in them.

Overall Bloxx seemed like the better "filter" in that it seemed the chances of anything getting past it that shouldn't were slim, but the other benefits that lightspeed brings to the table swayed it in their favour (MDM, MyBigCampus which we're possibly going to be moving too) but if I'm honest it was a REALLY difficult choice between bloxx and lightspeed up until the point that SchoolsBroadband came in and offered me pricing that i couldn't turn down. Not to mention that should we make use of MBC that it'll save us another £4.5k per year over our current dire VLE. I think at the end of the day you won't be disapointed whichever way you go, so best bet is to trial them both if you can and see which you prefer.

12. 2 Thanks to mrbios:

Eappariello (29th April 2013), themightymrp (29th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks @mrbios

we're really looking forward to work with you!

Dave

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread