+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Internet Explorer loading pages really slowly in Technical; Am having a problem with some netbooks in the school running Internet Explorer 9. When I log into them as ...
    Thank Post

Internet Explorer loading pages really slowly

Am having a problem with some netbooks in the school running Internet Explorer 9. When I log into them as a domain admin, Internet Explorer loads pages fine. des

However, when I log into the same netbooks with one of the pupil logins, Internet Explorer is loading pages really slowly (between 1 and 2 minutes to load bbc.co.uk fully). When I run Internet Explorer without add-ons the pages load fine at expected speed.

I've experimented enabling and disabling various add-ons but nothing has made a difference.

I then wondered if it was something to do with the shortcut for IE9 on the pupil's logins as it comes from a redirected desktop. So I deleted the existing shortcut and copied over a new shortcut from a netbook logged on as a domain admin so that it was a known working shortcut.

This worked, the first time I logged in and used it. But then I tested it on a couple more logins and a couple more netbooks and it has stopped again. I'm not sure if it's the shortcut causing the problem or not. The option via Start / Programs is also blocked via a redirected start menu and I've thought of adding a shortcut via there. At this stage I'm not sure which shortcut to use though!

Has anyone any thoughts on how to test a shortcut for reliability? Or could it be something else?? Really scratching my head at this one.

Thank Post
    Just to add to this, the shortcut is set to start in %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% I've tried taking this out but it has made no difference either.

Thank Post
    Just another bump / reply with more info .... Have installed Google Chrome and that works fine logged in as the pupil's login and the admin login, lovely and fast. I'm re-downloading IE9 just to check and reinstall but these are brand new netbooks so I'm pretty convinced it must be something to do with the Group Policy settings applied on those login accounts now.

Even stranger ... I've tried a pupil login account on a desktop PC using the same redirected shortcut and the speed of pages loading is fine.

It just seems to be a combination of the login and the netbook.

Thank Post
    Bit of a bump - any ideas anyone?

It's happening on the head's PC as well so it's not jsut a problem confined to the netbooks.

- Open Internet Explorer, pages load really slowly (1-2 minutes)
    - Open Internet Explorer without add-ons and pages load fine
    - Open Google Chrome and pages load fine

The only other connection I can make is that these are the most recent machines into the school and have had the latest Java / Flash etc installed on them. I'll maybe look at version numbers of those and roll some back when I'm in next Monday.

Thank Post
    Managed to find a fix for this in the end at this thread on eduGeek

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread