+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Port Forwarding Problems (Home Network) in Technical; Right guys, I have no clue on this one. Literally no idea. For around 6-8 months we have had BT ...

Thank Post

Port Forwarding Problems (Home Network)

Right guys, I have no clue on this one. Literally no idea.

For around 6-8 months we have had BT Infinity and I have had my gaming server (Minecraft) running perfectly on it. My HDD died on me last week (Wouldn't boot OS even after clean install) and as a result I lost everything on it, including port forwarding rules.
    Now obviously all of the router settings were still set to port forward (TCP and UDP 25565) and I repeated my steps from last year to setup my ports through windows firewall on my fresh HDD. (Inbound / Outbound TCP and UDP )
    I thought I would just double check my ports are forwarded on Open Port Check Tool and after about 20 seconds of a loading page I got the Error: I could not see your service (Insert IP here) on Port (25565)

Great I thought, I double checked that my IPv4 was setup correctly and it was (192.168.1.100 [my router is on 192.168.1.254]). I then checked my router for the port forwarding settings and everything was fine in there too. So I decided to quickly turn off my firewall on my Router and on my PC (I know it is really unsafe but it was for less than a couple of minutes) and tried again. Through some miracle on a clean install of windows with no firewall or router firewall, I got an error saying 25565 could not be seen. I then tried port 80 which I know is working since I can browse the web, Same error. How on earth can this be possible!?

(Error I was getting)

Error: I could not see your service on **.***.***.*** on port (25565)
    Reason: Connection timed out

Thank Post
    err, what are you trying to port forward to ?

Are you running a webserver as testing to port 80 at your external IP has no relation to the fact your outbound web browsing is working.

if your running a service on your pc, you need to open it's port on the PC , not NAT. Nat should be done at the router.

Rob

Thank Post
    I have opened the specific port 25565 on my PC via Windows firewall, both inbound and outbound TCP and UDP.
    Anyway this makes no difference, If my firewall on both my computer AND router are turned off why are my ports still blocked? I had no other software on my PC at the time as it was one of the first things I did when I first installed windows so nothing else can be blocking it.

Thank Post
    If you have no other software then there is no service running to accept a request to the specified port.

Rob

Thank Post
    From what you've mentioned, have you actually reset minecraft servers up with allowing external connections?

You won't get any response from an open port tool unless there's something at the other end to respond to it as twin-turbo was mentioning. (As least I can't see how it would anyway, but may be wrong).

Can you connect to the server via your local lan?

Steve

Thank Post
    netstat -a | find "LISTENING"

will show you what services are listening for inbound connections.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    From what you've mentioned, have you actually reset minecraft servers up with allowing external connections?

You won't get any response from an open port tool unless there's something at the other end to respond to it as twin-turbo was mentioning. (As least I can't see how it would anyway, but may be wrong).

Can you connect to the server via your local lan?

Steve
    I can connect using my Router I.P and LocalHost but can't connect outside of my LAN.
    @twin--turbo I never had anything in the past which was running other than the .bat file running for the Server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NerdNamedMatt View Post
    I can connect using my Router I.P and LocalHost but can't connect outside of my LAN.
    @twin--turbo I never had anything in the past which was running other than the .bat file running for the Server.
    You can Connect what?

You say you have installed nothing else, so what are you expecting to connect to?

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    You can Connect what?

You say you have installed nothing else, so what are you expecting to connect to?

Rob
    Right I will try and explain again since it seems I wasn't clear enough before.

I use a .bat file to open up a Minecraft server. It runs perfectly and gives no errors. I need to open port 25565 both outbound and inbound on TCP and UDP for other people to connect to the server while it is running. I tried opening my ports on both my Windows Firewall and on my Router and it tells me that the port still isn't open. I tried turning off all firewall software completely and it still says it is blocked.
    I can connect from my own Minecraft Client on my pc to the minecraft server on the same PC by using "localhost" as the I.P. but that is no good when I want friends to join me.

I hope that clears it up?

I hope this makes it clearer for you?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread