+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Cisco ASA 5505 in Technical; Hi Guys, Well the school will be using PS Financials from 1st April and they have sent the school a ...
    Thank Post

Cisco ASA 5505

Hi Guys,

Well the school will be using PS Financials from 1st April and they have sent the school a copy of the pre-installation booking form
    I have noticed on the form that the following ports need to be opened for it to work;

TCP Ports,

• 135 for DTC
    • 777 for Licence Service
    • 80 for Web Portal (this should be ok as its the HTTP port)
    • 1433 for SQL

Is there any way I can check these ports are open as I have no experience with firewalls so not to sure about this, the server connects to the firewall via ASDM but Im not over sure what Im supposed to be looking for until I get my head round it.

Regards
    Stan.
    Last edited by staningrimsby; 14th February 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Which way do they need to be open?

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by staningrimsby View Post

Is there any way I can check these ports are open as I have no experience
    Either telnet through the FW on the ports shown (to the correct target) or issue
    Code:
    show running-config
    on the ASA

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Either telnet through the FW on the ports shown (to the correct target) or issue
    Code:
    show running-config
    on the ASA
    interpriting show run could be fun on an ASA..

ASDM will have the firewall page but one would realy need to see a screen shot of it to start advising on how it is set up and how to adjust it. There is a packet tracer in ASDM though which will tell you what if anything is going to block the traffic.

As a starting point for learning firewalling the ASA is like learning to fly starting with a space shuttle rather than a Cessna LOL...

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by staningrimsby View Post
    Hi Guys,

Well the school will be using PS Financials from 1st April and they have sent the school a copy of the pre-installation booking form
    I have noticed on the form that the following ports need to be opened for it to work;

TCP Ports,

• 135 for DTC
    • 777 for Licence Service
    • 80 for Web Portal (this should be ok as its the HTTP port)
    • 1433 for SQL

Is there any way I can check these ports are open as I have no experience with firewalls so not to sure about this, the server connects to the firewall via ASDM but Im not over sure what Im supposed to be looking for until I get my head round it.

Regards
    Stan.
    They only need to be opened internally, unless you're expecting the PSF client to need access from the outside world? Unless you have some interesting network design with an ASA in front of your servers, I imagine the ASA sits in front of your internet connection. In which case you only need to ensure those ports are open on the Windows firewall (or similar) on the PSF server

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    interpriting show run could be fun on an ASA..

ASDM will have the firewall page but one would realy need to see a screen shot of it to start advising on how it is set up and how to adjust it. There is a packet tracer in ASDM though which will tell you what if anything is going to block the traffic.

As a starting point for learning firewalling the ASA is like learning to fly starting with a space shuttle rather than a Cessna LOL...

Rob
    ASA is actually pretty intuitive, compared to say - iptables and the ASDM java interface couldn't make things simpler, but when it comes to checking and implementing configs CLI wins everytime.

Thank Post
    I havnt spoken to the company yet or met them so I'm as much in the dark as you guys im afraid, i just wondered if anyone new of a guide to show
    me how to set these up as I dont want to look a PLEB if they ask me on-site.

Is there any software or report that could be rin to tell me what ports are open ???
    Last edited by staningrimsby; 14th February 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Well I've setup PSF (and still run it) and I can tell you that those ports aren't open on our internet facing firewalls . Certainly open on the PSF server though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    ASA is actually pretty intuitive, compared to say - iptables and the ASDM java interface couldn't make things simpler, but when it comes to checking and implementing configs CLI wins everytime.
    I like IPTABLES was using it for 10 years before Moving to the ASA... Got a 877W as my home router running AdvEnt so I have a similar firewall to the ASA..

Anyway, I think as others have mentioned that the document probably actual refers to the server firewall and not the Internet firewall

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread