+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Filtering and firewall in Technical; Hi all, We are looking at moving from a system fully managed by our lea to don't it ourselves. I'd ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question Filtering and firewall

Hi all,

We are looking at moving from a system fully managed by our lea to don't it ourselves.

I'd prefer a separate Web filter and firewall, but will consider a joint box.

We are a school of approx 1500 dissidents (ha, autocorrect of students) looking at deploying BYOD.

Can people tell me what you use and your experience please.

I've read the lightspeed vs smoothwall thread.

Does anyone user bloxx?

I can get a good deal on smoothwall which should make it around the same price as lightspeed.

Thanks for your help. (i'm looking for responses from schools not sellers right now , thanks)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    Hi all,

We are looking at moving from a system fully managed by our lea to don't it ourselves.

I'd prefer a separate Web filter and firewall, but will consider a joint box.

We are a school of approx 1500 dissidents (ha, autocorrect of students) looking at deploying BYOD.

Can people tell me what you use and your experience please.

I've read the lightspeed vs smoothwall thread.

Does anyone user bloxx?

I can get a good deal on smoothwall which should make it around the same price as lightspeed.

Thanks for your help. (i'm looking for responses from schools not sellers right now , thanks)
    +1 for Fortinet with Lightspeed here

Dave

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I have a Smoothwall UTM-1000 in and have implemented BYOD on my network and its working brilliantly, infact my LA are also using Smoothwall so nearly all the schools in North Yorkshire are using Smoothwall for filtering (there are odd exceptions but even some of them are moving over). It has been a great product for us and I wouldn't be without it at all and certainly should I change schools I will miss it (so will have to buy it again!) as it just does as I want without fuss and just works its very rare I have to do anything to / with it which is a blessing in such a busy place.

4. Thanks to john from:

rpmoore (22nd February 2013)

Thank Post
    I am infact one of those schools that is moving from websense after 9 years to a smoothie in North Yorkshire as @john has mentioned. I too was looking at bloxx untill i saw the price and then saw the smoothie. I am still managing my own internet lines due to the cost of the lines but maybe thats for future discussions.

Our smoothie is going in next week and replacing our cisco firewall and our websense boxes. Fingers crossed, i will be able to do everything i want to do plus a lot more and hopefully it will bring us into the real world of filtering.

I considered having 2 boxes with keeping the firewall as the cisco box and having the smoothie along side it but then thought about the costs and whats the point of that if the smoothie can offer it all in one box.

Thank Post
    We will be looking at moving away from Websense for September 2014.

Smoothwal is on the list.

Bloxx , The name just makes me think it's missing an "O" and no good.

It's a big step to move though.

Rob

Thank Post
    We use Fortinet here (got a 200B) and i love it.

Thank Post
    We have smoothwall, think we are probably replacing it with a lightspeed filter and a sonicwall firewall.....money permitting

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What do people think about whether to have a single integrated device or two devices to look at firewall and filtering. There seem to be a range of views on the site (and in this thread) and it seems to be a personal thing ... I have my own opinion but wondering about what others feel and why.

Thank Post
    Well I will be watching this thread with great interest as I to am looking at replacing the websense filtering and smoothwall is an option, at the same time I was also wondering wether or not to replace the Cisco ASA 5505 firewall or just leave it in place as its working fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've had a quote and info sent through for a watch guard XTM which looks very good.

I'll compile I list with details of the solutions I have considered for people to look over if they want.

I see a few people leaving a Web sense and looking at smoothwall, but people on smoothwall seem to consider lightspeed.

Tony, I'd like to hear your opinion on the 1 box or 2 debate.
    Last edited by Marshall_IT; 15th February 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    I've had a quote and info sent through for a watch guard XTM which looks very good.

I'll compile I list with details of the solutions I have considered for people to look over if they want.

I see a few people leaving a Web sense and looking at smoothwall, but people on smoothwall seem to consider lightspeed.

Tony, I'd like to hear your opinion on the 1 box or 2 debate.
    I dont think that is entirely true. We have been up against Lightspeed quite a bit recently and in most occasions have won in a shootout. Depends whether you want the most effective web filtering, or a cheap 'swiss army knife jack of all trades' product

I am of course biased!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmoore View Post
    I dont think that is entirely true. We have been up against Lightspeed quite a bit recently and in most occasions have won in a shootout. Depends whether you want the most effective web filtering, or a cheap 'swiss army knife jack of all trades' product

I am of course biased!
    It's a good thing theres a lot of work being put into your firewall solution, otherwise people might acuse you of being a cheap jack of all trades solution

As it happens the Lightspeed filter is good, as is MBC and its MDM solution from what i've seen. They havent ventured into firewalls so at least they've left one 'tool' off the knife.

I'm not sure bashing each other's product is particularly worth while, people have their opinions and are entitled to them
    Last edited by RTFM; 22nd February 2013 at 11:35 AM.

14. Thanks to RTFM from:

Eappariello (26th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    What do people think about whether to have a single integrated device or two devices to look at firewall and filtering. There seem to be a range of views on the site (and in this thread) and it seems to be a personal thing ... I have my own opinion but wondering about what others feel and why.
    Personally I believe buying them separately is best, two products designed for specific tasks opposed to one product designed to do them all. For example I've spoken to a number of people about "Product A" as a solution to both, they turn around and says "It's a wonderful filter, but the firewall is terrible in comparison to the competition" then go look at "product B" and it's the other way around.

In my experience people miss things when they want something to do both, and end up settling for the lesser product on one end, rather than getting the best product available to them. The difficult bit is working out what is best for you for both aspects

On another note.... got smoothwall, lightspeed and bloxx all coming to do presentations and answer technical questions in March, looking forward to grilling all 3 of them to finally work out what i want to go with as a filter.

Thank Post
    We've used Bloxx for 8 years. It'll be coming to an end shortly and we will absolutely not be using them again. My discussions with others throughout the sector shows we aren't alone in our frustrations either.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brainchylde View Post
    We've used Bloxx for 8 years. It'll be coming to an end shortly and we will absolutely not be using them again. My discussions with others throughout the sector shows we aren't alone in our frustrations either.
    Are you able to say why you are coming away from bloxx?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast