+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Filtering and firewall in Technical; Originally Posted by Sheridan Palo Alto look good on paper but seem a lot more expensive! Similar in cost to ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Palo Alto look good on paper but seem a lot more expensive!
    Similar in cost to checkpoint i think when you factor in the training requred on a checkpoint system, though i guess it depends what it is you need to do/size of school and so on. Might find fortinet does everything you need for half the price i guess.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    We're running a TMG and Smoothwall SWG at the moment, and will probably merge them into one soon as TMG has now been ditched by MS, and annoyingly our SWG isn't capable of any BYOD functionality with our wireless setup. So hopefully ditching both for a Fortinet/Checkpoint solution soon.
    I'm sure we can make it play ball - even if it means a switcheroo with licencing somehow.

Thank Post
    @tom_newton - I seem to have been backwards and forwards with smoothwall on this one. End result is I've been told several times an upgrade to the UTM is the only way forward as our SWG just won't do the necessary for BYOD!

Thank Post
    Probably for the routing aspect - no real reason to change the tin, if you're up for it you could cross-grade with a usb cdrom... though there are now ways to get most of the UTM-y stuff on a SWG - fire me any ticket ID and I will get it re-looked into. Not satisfied with no for an answer im afraid

Thank Post
    Anyone using the new Cisco 5500-x Firewalls? Price here in Thailand looks great but having troubles getting my hands on one to demo. Very little info online from actual users also. Youtube video looked pretty decent.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Haven't got any ticket ID for this - its been via PM/email etc. So you're saying I should be able to upgrade my SWG to UTM for the additional capabilities?

Thank Post
    Yeah, depending on the capabilities you might just need the zone module, which is a real simple one to add, if it's a bit more than that we'll need to refresh the software build, but that's not incredibly hard, its a mite non-standard as a procedure, but if it's the difference between "Sheridan happy" and "Sheridan not happy", then so be it

Thank Post
    Nicely put! I'm always Sheridan_happy, but I'm ready to be Sheridan_ecstatic if you let me know what I need to do next....

Thank Post
    Talk to your account manager (suspect it is Rachel), get them to put you in touch with someone to design what you need - invoke "go talk to Tom" if anyone gives you "Huh".

Thank Post
    Does LightSpeed still need a client installing on each machine and does it do anything dynamic, like the Smoothwall?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Does LightSpeed still need a client installing on each machine and does it do anything dynamic, like the Smoothwall?
    You don't have to have the client installed although we prefer to do it as you don't have to rely on windows server auditing of user logins if you do install it so therefore it's much more accurate.

The agent is a piece of cake to roll out via group policy.

There's no dynamic filtering. We don't find this a negative though in the slightest. I know many may disagree but for an end user experience there's no difference in actual day to day use.

Dave

Thank Post
    Thanks David. So, I'm assuming it works of the model of whitelists and blacklists, and the site either works or it doesn't? In terms of the MDM, the video on your website basically suggests that the in that instance the iPads connect back to the proxy in the school and then out to the internet again. Would that be a true understanding?

Thank Post
    Thanks David. So, I'm assuming it works of the model of whitelists and blacklists, and the site either works or it doesn't? In terms of the MDM, the video on your website basically suggests that the in that instance the iPads connect back to the proxy in the school and then out to the internet again. Would that be a true understanding?
    In a nut shell yes. The database is very specific to education and we find fantastic to use. If there's a new site then it'll get categorised within 24 hours. All non categorised sites can be automatically blocked. You can of course allow the site yourself as well.

Ref MDM, with iPads the only way to get them working is by use of their global proxy. We set the iPads to go to our hosted Lightspeed Rocket infrastructure. All traffic then goes via this connection. This is the only way Apple allows it.

Our hosted Lightspeed Rocket infrastructure is connected via multiple 10Gbit links and protected by carrier class Fortinet firewalls. One of the advantages of our service in particular over using onsite proxy servers is that as the Lightspeed Rockets are in our data centres then any bandwidth / speed used happens here and not down your Internet connection. This is left for your schools general use. If you do 1:1 iPad deployment (as many schools are doing) this will help keep bandwidth away from you school which is a good thing.

I believe Android + Windows 8 tablets work a little differently. They merely do a lookup against the URL list on the Rockets. The Rocket then allows the site through or not.

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    Does your hosted solution only work for the MDM then, you don't use it for general school use? Also on that note will it allow use of My Big Campus or not? We can discuss this off forum if you prefer?

Thank Post
    Does your hosted solution only work for the MDM then, you don't use it for general school use? Also on that note will it allow use of My Big Campus or not? We can discuss this off forum if you prefer?
    Hi again @Edu-IT,

Our hosted solution works with the whole suite of Lightspeed products. Rocket filtering, MDM, MBC all of which are included in our standard packages. I'll PM you for a more technical chat.

Cheers

Dave

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345