+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Filtering and firewall in Technical; Another Leeds school here moving away from the LEA. We are currently looking at Smoothwall and Fortinet options, in fact ...
    Thank Post
    Another Leeds school here moving away from the LEA. We are currently looking at Smoothwall and Fortinet options, in fact my colleague is out looking at a Smoothwall setup right now. I'd be intrigues to know how easy it is to configure and how straight-forward it would be to setup transparent proxy for BYOD?

We are also looking at switching to Office 365 for email features (because the A2 plan is free ) so it's going to be a big summer for us! New ISP, new firewall, new filtering, new email etc. ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Thank Post
    Ive just moved from websense to smoothwall, took me a while to get going but getting there with it, ive had to change my thinking about blocking and allowing sites but i must admit, its a better solution than websense (@john).

Ive done a guide on here under BYOD Ruckus and smoothwall on how to get the BYOD working (well ive documented my setup) which may help some people BYOD with Smoothwall and Ruckus

3. 2 Thanks to timbo343:

john (15th March 2013), themightymrp (13th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    Another Leeds school here moving away from the LEA. We are currently looking at Smoothwall and Fortinet options, in fact my colleague is out looking at a Smoothwall setup right now. I'd be intrigues to know how easy it is to configure and how straight-forward it would be to setup transparent proxy for BYOD?

We are also looking at switching to Office 365 for email features (because the A2 plan is free ) so it's going to be a big summer for us! New ISP, new firewall, new filtering, new email etc. ARRRGGGHHH!!!
    Fortinet & Lightspeed are brilliant bits of kit.

FYI we are going to be holding a seminar at Weetwood Hall in Leeds on Wednesday 27th March from 11am.

We'll be show casing our Fortinet security, Lightspeed fitlering / MDM and also going over different WAN network designs. I'll put up an official post on this later. Lunch will be provided and we'd love to see as many techie people there as possible

Both Fortinet & Lightspeed will be sending people to demonstrate the products and it will be an extremely technical session

If any of you want to come do let me know!

Thanks

Dave

5. Thanks to SchoolsBroadband from:

themightymrp (13th March 2013)

Thank Post
    As i've said I think previously on this thread, 2 weeks and we get a Lightspeed / SonicWall combination installed. See how we go with it, hopefully should be good

Thank Post
    We switched from SmoothWall to a Fortinet 100D with Talk-Straight - What a mistake to make - nothingg but trouble for 7 months now and still no sign of improvements. The support is nothing short of shocking, no systems properly in place to support that massive amount of new customers and quite frankly we feel ripped off. No SLA's in place to speak of and if they are they keep very quiet about it using words like "shortly". We will be looking to return to SmoothWall asap.

8. 2 Thanks to huxlow:

rpmoore (10th May 2013), tom_newton (9th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huxlow View Post
    We switched from SmoothWall to a Fortinet 100D with Talk-Straight - What a mistake to make - nothingg but trouble for 7 months now and still no sign of improvements. The support is nothing short of shocking, no systems properly in place to support that massive amount of new customers and quite frankly we feel ripped off. No SLA's in place to speak of and if they are they keep very quiet about it using words like "shortly". We will be looking to return to SmoothWall asap.
    Hello Andrew,

I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with your solution at the moment. I know our support department has spent a lot of time with you trying to resolve your issues and we will continue to do so.

I think the above is a bit harsh to be honest. Never the less I want all my customers to be happy and the vast majority of the 500 schools which all use Fortinet filtering and AD authentication are and don't have the issues you're experiencing.

We are moving to Lightspeed content filtering in the very near future in conjunction with Fortinet security services. You'll be please to know that there will also be an upgrade path for existing customers.

I will be in touch again

Thanks

David

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @huxlow if there's any help we can be as a 3rd party feel free to get in touch. Very local to you, identical setup and we're quite happy with it. Might even be just for comparison purposes; I'd be happy to swing by after hours one day if you like.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    As i've said I think previously on this thread, 2 weeks and we get a Lightspeed / SonicWall combination installed. See how we go with it, hopefully should be good
    Quoting myself, not sure if thats weird or not........

Anyway, just to follow up on the above, we've had very few issues (I say issues, more general queries about stuff and best practice for how to do certain things) any we have had have been dealt with very swiftly by Lightspeed or our firewall provider.

I'm actually surprised by how little faffing we have had to do with the LS box to get everything up and running so overall extremely happy with our choice

A couple of people have PM'd me asking questions etc and I'm more than happy to offer my opinion if anyone asks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huxlow View Post
    Huxlow - we look forward to welcoming you back. We have just completed a major upgrade to our UK service center (people, processes and systems) and can now offer better services and SLAs to our customers than ever.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmoore View Post
    Huxlow - we look forward to welcoming you back. We have just completed a major upgrade to our UK service center (people, processes and systems) and can now offer better services and SLAs to our customers than ever.

Richard
    I doubt better than ever, 3 years ago Smoothwall support was second to none as literally everytime you rang it was a support engineer on the phone. From calling to resolution was never really more than a couple of hours from our experience. Since then its changed a lot but I dont see it ever getting that good again

Thank Post
    Hi
    Just wanted to throw this in the conversation

If you want SSL filtering and you have the need to use skype, then be very wary, as Last time I checked the only device that did it was the sonicwall

I could be wrong because last time i was looking was 18 months ago, but its worth mentioning.

Thank Post
    SSL plus skype is an interesting one: you *will* have to allow CONNECT requests over SSL to any IP to allow skype via a proxy. This is sub-optimal, but true of any product.

Thank Post
    We're running a TMG and Smoothwall SWG at the moment, and will probably merge them into one soon as TMG has now been ditched by MS, and annoyingly our SWG isn't capable of any BYOD functionality with our wireless setup. So hopefully ditching both for a Fortinet/Checkpoint solution soon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Checkpoint solution soon.
    You're a brave man if you go down that route, very complex bits of kit as far as i've been told, and not cheap either. Have you considered Palo Alto?

Thank Post
    Palo Alto look good on paper but seem a lot more expensive!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast