+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Filtering and firewall in Technical; @ Marshall_IT , Lightspeed doesn't have to use a client. We generally don't install it. It quite happily integrates with ...

Thank Post
    @Marshall_IT , Lightspeed doesn't have to use a client. We generally don't install it.

It quite happily integrates with AD and open directory out of the box straight away.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    Just an update after various visits, Web demos and research.

All thoughts are my personal opinions and are subjective to my needs.

I have had a good look at the following devices:

Smoothwall
    SonicWall
    Watchguard
    Lightspeed
    Fortigate
    Bloxx

I have narrowed it down to either SonicWall or Smoothwall a these seem to offer the most complete devices.

The Bloxx offering, while good seemed to lack something of maybe just concentrate too much on anonymous proxies. (maybe that was just the sales guys).

Watchguard, while offering most of what I was looking for, misses out on some key things like YouTube controls. Also the policy creation tool, while a good idea was a little clunky and the ui overall I seemed a little dated.

Fortigate was very similar to Watchguard in respect of features and ui. But seemed a little less powerful.

Lightspeed I didn't like the idea of a client install.

So, on to Smoothwall and SonicWall...

One has a better filter, the other has a better firewall.
    Both say they are improving the areas the are behind in.

Smoothwall have said we should see an update to their reporting and Firewall sections in the next few months.
    SonicWall said they are looking closely at improving the more school centric bits that were missing from their filtering.

Although SonicWall are used, so I'm told, extensively throughout education in the UK, this seems to be more colleges and universities. These institutions have very different requirements when it comes to filtering.

There is one last factor in my situation, which could be a game changer in the case of which I choose. That I might be supporting a number of primaries with their line and filtering.

If their connection is routed through our high school, we'd only need one UTM, if they connect directly to the Internet but we created branch VPNs, they would need smaller boxes which I could manage remotely.

More to come I think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    Watchguard, while offering most of what I was looking for, misses out on some key things like YouTube controls. Also the policy creation tool, while a good idea was a little clunky and the ui overall I seemed a little dated.

Fortigate was very similar to Watchguard in respect of features and ui. But seemed a little less powerful.
    I have smoothwall and lightspeed to demo at the moment, but need to do more with bandwidth QoS. I am now about to demo Watchguard and Fortigate to see if they are a better fit. I am really struggling to find something that will make the most of our limited bandwidth and filter ok. Do either watchguard or Fortigate allow bandwith limitations by group? I want to slow youtube down for students and leave it at normal speed for teachers.

Can I ask what youtube controls the watchguard misses out on? Budgetwise I don't think I can get a new firewall and web filter on different devices, so looks like I will have to compromise on either bandwidth control or the filtering. Tough decisions to be made.
    Last edited by boombah; 4th March 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boombah View Post
    I have smoothwall and lightspeed to demo at the moment, but need to do more with bandwidth QoS. I am now about to demo Watchguard and Fortigate to see if they are a better fit. I am really struggling to find something that will make the most of our limited bandwidth and filter ok. Do either watchguard or Fortigate allow bandwith limitations by group? I want to slow youtube down for students and leave it at normal speed for teachers.

Can I ask what youtube controls the watchguard misses out on? Budgetwise I don't think I can get a new firewall and web filter on different devices, so looks like I will have to compromise on either bandwidth control or the filtering. Tough decisions to be made.
    If you got Lightspeed you'd need a firewall anyway so your firewall could do your bandwidth management.

We've been trialling / purchased a sonicwall box which is good for this

Thank Post
    We have 2x Smoothwall UTM-1000 appliances. 1 as main firewall / filter the other as a child node handling the databases (but can be reconfigured if there is ever a hard/software issue with the other one).
    Also have BYOD / Ruckus being handled by it (via VLANs).

LEA had Bloxx, but i have heard they are now also moving over to Smoothwall too!

Thank Post
    have you looked at Palo Alto,Network Security we are using this at our boarding school and must say that we have used Sonicwall, Websence and smoothwall in the past, but this device out performs them all. Especially with application management. Allow the application regardless of the web site=perfect. We have only a small list of blocked web sites on the device.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babagee View Post
    have you looked at Palo Alto,Network Security we are using this at our boarding school and must say that we have used Sonicwall, Websence and smoothwall in the past, but this device out performs them all. Especially with application management. Allow the application regardless of the web site=perfect. We have only a small list of blocked web sites on the device.
    A few people on the forums have mentioned Palo Alto and said how good they are but then said the price is extremely high. Never seen it myself so can't comment other than that

Thank Post

Thank Post
    we are also looking into setting up our own filtering system and leaving the local LEA. As you are from Leeds it would appear we are in the same boat. Looking at smoothwall too and I have heard good things but it's always good to give others an opportunity to show us their products. Just got to get these things in place as soon as possible so we can at least get to grips with it.

Thank Post
    Those of you in Leeds (and indeed further afield), you're always welcome to pop in and see us - we're on Gelderd Rd, just opposite the mercedes/smart garage before you hit the ringroad. Drop in for a coffee and biscuit any time, we'd be happy to chat filtering

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @tom_newton

Is Smoothwall capable of transparent SSL filtering? That one of the biggest hangups we have with BYOD right now as filtering is a state requirement.

Thank Post
    Yes, transparent http and https

Thank Post
    pfSense for both firewalling and filtering, you can even run it virtual so that means it's free!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    pfSense for both firewalling and filtering, you can even run it virtual so that means it's free!
    Free as in kittens ... nice to have when given to a loving and caring home, but still needs feeding, taking to the vets, time spent playing with them, etc ...

*NOTHING* is free!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would be content with a free solution if it was a secondary system, or if I were a lot more proficient at security.
    The companies that make these products have a lot more staff working on them than I could dedicate to it.

Invest in what is important, and what is more important than security?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    We are running PFSense. It was initially put in when our firewall died. We put it on an old machine to get things back up and running. That was weeks ago. I have been trying to get quotes for Fortinet, Sonicwall, Watchguard and Palo Alto in that time, I still don't have a single quote yet. Guess living in Thailand, it comes with the territory. I still think I need something at layer 7 to sort our bandwidth issues out, but PFSense has been very very good and hasn't missed a beat.

As for the filtering, I have used it in the past, but as mentioned, it took a fair bit of work and it wasn't that great. I have ordered a lightspeed appliance to cover that, so we will see how that goes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast