+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Lightspeed vs Smoothwall in Technical; Just had a lovely lady from smoothwall in no more than 10 minutes ago....very impressed with both the product and ...
    Thank Post
    Just had a lovely lady from smoothwall in no more than 10 minutes ago....very impressed with both the product and her knowledge of it, and very much looking forward to seeing how bloxx and lightspeed compare to it when they come in over the next 2 weeks.

Is it sad that the thought of getting our filtering replaced is making me feel like a kid at christmas?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Just had a lovely lady from smoothwall in no more than 10 minutes ago....very impressed with both the product and her knowledge of it, and very much looking forward to seeing how bloxx and lightspeed compare to it when they come in over the next 2 weeks.

Is it sad that the thought of getting our filtering replaced is making me feel like a kid at christmas?
    Presentations are all well and good but are you physically trialling the boxes too?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Presentations are all well and good but are you physically trialling the boxes too?
    Already planned that in too

Had a play around with the VM that she had running, but that said, literally anything is going to make us impressed as we're still stuck on SWGfL url based filtering at the moment which is dreadful It's certainly set a benchmark for the next two companies who come in at least.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Already planned that in too

Had a play around with the VM that she had running, but that said, literally anything is going to make us impressed as we're still stuck on SWGfL url based filtering at the moment which is dreadful It's certainly set a benchmark for the next two companies who come in at least.
    All sounds good, exciting for you as you say

We ordered our Lightspeed and Sonicwall boxes yesterday and organised when we're going to switch to them so, all go

Thank Post
    Well... I go on holiday for 2 lousy weeks.. and a thread like this pops up - I bet you were wondering where I was hiding

Some good comments - some fair points, some not so much
    I can only really update from a product PoV (although I know Gary's working like a trojan to get support where he wants it, and we have a salesforce chap now helping with the salesforce support desk... not much experience of it myself)... anyway, product wise, the roadmap's not official yet, but here's some ideas:

* new reporting which should be loads better, faster, and more reliable, with shiny new log viewers is a month or 2 out. - there's now a dedicated reporting team so more improvements to come
    * first bit of layer 7 is the "next update out" - you will see huge changes in firewall/UTM over the next year
    * Research is ongoing on new auth methods (we have a client like lightspeed, but we don't like clients, its so last decade )
    * some of our "most wanted" ideas are seeing the light of day - including policy based bandwidth limits
    * loads of performance enhancements coming before summer

Not got my plans together for the back end of the year yet.... but we won't be staying still

6. 2 Thanks to tom_newton:

john (2nd March 2013), Jollity (1st March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    * Research is ongoing on new auth methods (we have a client like lightspeed, but we don't like clients, its so last decade )
    What I'd like is that when you click 'logout' it actually does log the user out, not having to restart the whole authentication service for the user to stop being recognised

Thank Post
    What I'd like is that when you click 'logout' it actually does log the user out, not having to restart the whole authentication service for the user to stop being recognised
    Which auth method is that? Bear in mind that something like NTLM or Kerberos, if you forcibly log the user out they're just going to log straight back in

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    we have a salesforce chap now helping with the salesforce support desk... not much experience of it myself).
    Chain him to the office and never let him leave pleeeeeease as it is the worse thing I have EVER seen in my life even our previous Internet setup and filtering I'd rate higher than it!! (and you know all about that and what my statement means!!).

I really cannot convey how bad it is from an end user perspective, it maybe brilliant as a business tool at your end but it needs a major end user testing and re-design as its not user friendly and this is contributing to the poor support issues I would say and it is good news that Gary is getting his team there, but don't underestimate self help the old system was brilliant at that but I've yet to see anything useful in Salesforce and it doesn't encourage me to try and self help. I also lost a lot of useful data on past cases with the change over as a result I will be on the phone more as I cannot self-help by tracking back on past cases as they are missing data if / when I get the issues I've had before

I miss the old days

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Chain him to the office and never let him leave pleeeeeease as it is the worse thing I have EVER seen in my life even our previous Internet setup and filtering I'd rate higher than it!! (and you know all about that and what my statement means!!).

I really cannot convey how bad it is from an end user perspective, it maybe brilliant as a business tool at your end but it needs a major end user testing and re-design as its not user friendly and this is contributing to the poor support issues I would say and it is good news that Gary is getting his team there, but don't underestimate self help the old system was brilliant at that but I've yet to see anything useful in Salesforce and it doesn't encourage me to try and self help. I also lost a lot of useful data on past cases with the change over as a result I will be on the phone more as I cannot self-help by tracking back on past cases as they are missing data if / when I get the issues I've had before

I miss the old days
    Salesforce can be brilliant... but it requires a hell of a lot of work to get it into a nice shape to do what you want!! I for one have just dumped it!!

Thank Post
    We are just going through this process too. Well actually we have made a decision and placed an order last week.

We are deploying over 1000 iOS devices to pupils, along with the 200 iPads already given to all staff and macbook airs to teacher, so our solution had to fit in with these devices and our wired PCs.

We looked at Smoothwall, Bloxx and lightspeed and finally settled with Bloxx.

12. Thanks to jayemm from:

Jollity (3rd March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jayemm View Post
    We looked at Smoothwall, Bloxx and lightspeed and finally settled with Bloxx.
    What tipped the decision in Bloxx' favour?

Thank Post
    Which auth method is that? Bear in mind that something like NTLM or Kerberos, if you forcibly log the user out they're just going to log straight back in
    It's when your testing as a user, you log the user out of smoothwall, log the user off the machine, change their membership, log back onto the machine and get recognised as the same group as before, not the new one.

Its frustrating but maybe its just us....though the other school in the area has the same problem *shrug*
    Last edited by RTFM; 4th March 2013 at 12:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's when your testing as a user, you log the user out of smoothwall, log the user off the machine, change their membership, log back onto the machine and get recognised as the same group as before, not the new one.

Its frustrating but maybe its just us....though the other school in the area has the same problem *shrug*
    When I was testing other users I altered the proxy setting on my machine so that it went to a ssl login page and then logged in using that. Granted, not always possible to test exactly what you want this way but for testing websites and other simple things it's a quick and easy way of doing it.

Thank Post
    Not sure if everyone knows yet but Millgate are now a Lightspeed accredited partner

If you want to arrange a webinar, demos, pricing or a meeting then Luke and I can help you out with it.

Thank Post
    I have ordered a demo Lightspeed box so will be interested to see how it works. The only thing thats putting me off is the £££ in buying a new firewall to run alongside it. I think my smoothie renewal is for June so have a bit of time to decide. Even with the awful support, rubbish logs and clunkiness of the interface I may be forced to stick with Smoothwall. (it does work though so not all bad)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast