+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Two factor authentication solution in Technical; Hi, I hope this won't be regarded as advertising (as I'm not charging anything). I've been into loads of schools ...

Thank Post

Two factor authentication solution

Hi,

I hope this won't be regarded as advertising (as I'm not charging anything).

I've been into loads of schools in the last few years installing XenApp / XenDesktop and two factor authentication seems pretty rare (despite BECTA saying it was a requirement if SIMS and similar were published). My guess is that this is down to costs - 45 - 110 per user isn't going to fly if you have 100 members of staff and 2,000 kids.

To solve the above I've written a two factor platform that you're welcome to install for free. It works on XenApp/XenDesktop, SonicWall, etc (pretty much anything. The website is WrightCCS - - Citrix two factor authentication

As above, no cost, install it, use it, don't pay for it. It supports hardware tokens (I got mine from Gooze.eu for about 9Euro), software tokens on the iPhone/Android/Blackberry (free), text message (you pay for the texts - the beta version will allow you to use any provider), and in the beta release it also supports voice call authentication (via Twilio).
    The admin interface does single signon and runs over the network so you'd install the software and publish it via XenApp (or install it anywhere you want) and logged-on users can update their own details.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll give you some help to get it installed (free).

Steve

2. 6 Thanks to wrights:

Alis_Klar (12th September 2013), DT2 (14th January 2013), FN-GM (13th January 2013), pcstru (13th January 2013), robknowles (13th January 2013), TheScarfedOne (13th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That does deserve a thanked post. Would be good to have it for Windows Login as well

Thank Post
    I've never used it but pGina allows you to use RADIUS for Windows Login, so this should work perfectly with SMS2.
    If you setup pgina let me know - I'd love to document it and put that on the site for everyone else interested.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Could you provide support for yubikey as an authentication device?

Thanks

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    That does deserve a thanked post. Would be good to have it for Windows Login as well
    I use these guys for Windows Logins over RDP: https://www.duosecurity.com/
    Nice little Android/iPhone App too...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wrights View Post
    Hi,

I hope this won't be regarded as advertising (as I'm not charging anything).

I've been into loads of schools in the last few years installing XenApp / XenDesktop and two factor authentication seems pretty rare (despite BECTA saying it was a requirement if SIMS and similar were published). My guess is that this is down to costs - 45 - 110 per user isn't going to fly if you have 100 members of staff and 2,000 kids.

To solve the above I've written a two factor platform that you're welcome to install for free. It works on XenApp/XenDesktop, SonicWall, etc (pretty much anything. The website is WrightCCS - - Citrix two factor authentication

As above, no cost, install it, use it, don't pay for it. It supports hardware tokens (I got mine from Gooze.eu for about 9Euro), software tokens on the iPhone/Android/Blackberry (free), text message (you pay for the texts - the beta version will allow you to use any provider), and in the beta release it also supports voice call authentication (via Twilio).
    The admin interface does single signon and runs over the network so you'd install the software and publish it via XenApp (or install it anywhere you want) and logged-on users can update their own details.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll give you some help to get it installed (free).

Steve
    Completely agree with your comments as regards two Factor Authentication so have built this into our Gateway solution for access for Staff to MIS systems using an Encrypted App. I like the idea of staff and students accessing all resources remotely but it always worried me if a student got hold of staff logins and issues with MIS systems. As you say have seen a few systems where no Dual factor access to access to MIS systems and this always worried me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    I use these guys for Windows Logins over RDP: https://www.duosecurity.com/
    Nice little Android/iPhone App too...
    Looks good do you remember how much it cost your school? It mentions $3 Per user per month so I'm hoping they have education pricing otherwise that's going to get expensive for us.

Thank Post
    I'm using it at home, so I'm on a free plan - get unlimited instances and about 1000 sms/calls free
    But by using PUSH notifications or the phone app to generate a passcode that's keyed to my account - I dont even use them.

Thank Post
    Yubikey should work fine as an authentication device. Using the admin console in SMS2 you can specify a manual OATH-TOTP shared secret, using the Yubikey personalisation tool you can load the same shared secret on your Yubikey.

As I understand it you'd need the Yubikey TOTP application installed on the PC, when you reached an authentication screen (in my case the Citrix Web Interface logon screen) you'd doubleclick the Yubikey TOTP application in the system tray and it would query the key and paste the correct code into the token box on the screen.

Steve

Thank Post
    >https://www.duosecurity.com

SMS2 will do exactly the same functionality for free, Remote Desktop Services will require either pGINA as a linked to above (also free) or Microsoft's Threat Management Gateway software.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Yubikey should work fine as an authentication device. Using the admin console in SMS2 you can specify a manual OATH-TOTP shared secret, using the Yubikey personalisation tool you can load the same shared secret on your Yubikey.

As I understand it you'd need the Yubikey TOTP application installed on the PC, when you reached an authentication screen (in my case the Citrix Web Interface logon screen) you'd doubleclick the Yubikey TOTP application in the system tray and it would query the key and paste the correct code into the token box on the screen.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for that I guess I was thinking about yubikeys in normal mode forgot that new ones can do oath.

Ben

Abe

Thank Post
    >https://www.duosecurity.com

SMS2 will do exactly the same functionality for free, Remote Desktop Services will require either pGINA as a linked to above (also free) or Microsoft's Threat Management Gateway software.
    Are you (or anybody else) able to provide a any pointers on where to start with integrating SMS2 and pGINA for Remote Desktop Services authentication?

Cheers,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread