+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, OpenDNS, Is it now free again? in Technical; Hi, Im looking at using a service such as OpenDNS to block websites. We are based over five different sites ...

Thank Post

OpenDNS, Is it now free again?

Hi,

Im looking at using a service such as OpenDNS to block websites.

We are based over five different sites so having our own proxy server would mean 5 more computers/server running, one for each site.

When i looked a few months ago there was a fee but i cant seem to find this now.

Is it now free again?

What version is best to use in schools, home dns or business?

Many thanks

Update, just found the pricing but the premium version says its free?, Confused
    Last edited by dany2010; 11th January 2013 at 11:06 AM.

Gaz

Thank Post
    You could use the home version for free and it has a content filter but I really wouldnt use it as a content filter for a school, for that you really do need something such as smoothwall. OpenDNS's content filter is done purely by the community and moderaters but the turn around time for getting a site blocked is a very long time and it needs lots of people to vote it to be blocked.
    Surely theres money for a content filter if 5 schools are involved.

EDIT: looks like they are now pushing Umbrella as the business part of OpenDNS, so you may want to look into that, but I'd still go with a dedicated onsite filter.
    Last edited by Gaz; 11th January 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    You could use the home version for free and it has a content filter but I really wouldnt use it as a content filter for a school, for that you really do need something such as smoothwall. OpenDNS's content filter is done purely by the community and moderaters but the turn around time for getting a site blocked is a very long time and it needs lots of people to vote it to be blocked.
    Surely theres money for a content filter if 5 schools are involved.

EDIT: looks like they are now pushing Umbrella as the business part of OpenDNS, so you may want to look into that, but I'd still go with a dedicated onsite filter.
    you would think but we get 20k in total, only one site is big though. This year we had less

We got a smoothwall quote for 10k which there is just no way we could pay that one. Were trying to replace these horrible esys machines that restart whenever you log off and are slow as you like but what with license costs and etc were doing like 20 a year.

Have tried squid with dansguardian but gave up with it, I give up with Linux.
    Last edited by dany2010; 11th January 2013 at 05:12 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread