Our school just rolled out 1:1 iPads and we during planning we decided to increase our access points and Internet pipeline to handle more traffic from the devices (approx. 275 iPads). What we did not account for was how much traffic is sent between these devices and the App Store on a regular basis. We expected an increase in traffic as they all started downloading apps but it has overloaded the network. So my question is there a way to use the rate limit feature of the HP ProCurve (5412zl acting as a router) to throttle the traffic to the App Store? I have narrowed down the IP's being used to make a connection to the App Store but I have never used the rate limit feature of the ProCurve switches. For the time being I have blocked the App Store during school hours but ideally we want them to be able to get apps when needed for classes.

I have found an example for something similar when doing my Google searches, but not sure if it can work on remote hosts and if what I am trying to do is considered IN or OUT traffic.

class ipv4 servers-to-be-slowed
match ip 1.2.3.4/32 any
match ip 1.2.3.5/32 any
exit
policy qos SlowBadServers
class servers-to-be-slowed action rate-limit kbps 1000
exit
interface all service-policy SlowBadServers in