+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Website Usage in Technical; I am hoping that some of you can help me with a little research. Our web hosting company are wanting ...

Thank Post

Website Usage

I am hoping that some of you can help me with a little research.

Our web hosting company are wanting to charge us to increase our bandwithd limits on the website, and thus charge us more.

They have said that we are getting about 1500 visits a week and they want to increase our capacity to 13 gig per month as we are hitting the limits of our current capacity. The complication comes in that someone has told the woman who manages the website that there is no way we should be hitting that limit and they are making it up to flease us. the someone being a person who, whislt is IT literate (I'm told) does not actually work here.

A quick bit of fag paper maths tells me that that equates to 2.2 Mb per hit. That could be plausable as they navigate the site and go to the galaries. For info the website is more and advertisiong tool with static (ish) information as opposed to a live parent forum/remote access/etc.

My issues is that I have no comparison to know if our data usage is:
    1: About what you would expect for a 400 pupil indy decondary school
    2: Massive for the size of our school
    3: Woefully inadequate for our school and really we need to up the bandwidth and our marketting department need to get in gear.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    I am hoping that some of you can help me with a little research.

Our web hosting company are wanting to charge us to increase our bandwithd limits on the website, and thus charge us more.

They have said that we are getting about 1500 visits a week and they want to increase our capacity to 13 gig per month as we are hitting the limits of our current capacity. The complication comes in that someone has told the woman who manages the website that there is no way we should be hitting that limit and they are making it up to flease us. the someone being a person who, whislt is IT literate (I'm told) does not actually work here.

A quick bit of fag paper maths tells me that that equates to 2.2 Mb per hit. That could be plausable as they navigate the site and go to the galaries. For info the website is more and advertisiong tool with static (ish) information as opposed to a live parent forum/remote access/etc.

My issues is that I have no comparison to know if our data usage is:
    1: About what you would expect for a 400 pupil indy decondary school
    2: Massive for the size of our school
    3: Woefully inadequate for our school and really we need to up the bandwidth and our marketting department need to get in gear.

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Hi Stuart.
    You need to find out what O/S your host is using windows or linux. Most web hosting accounts come with a control panel in the case of Linux the most common is Cpanel. Once logged into your cpanel you can look up the bandwidth used by your account.

A quick and simple way to find out if you have access to cpanel is to enter cpanel after you website nmae in a browser

www. mywebsite/cpanel and this will take you to a login screen as long as your hosting provider hasent set it up in some other way but that's the default.

Kili

Thank Post
    Sorry, I can find out how much bandwidth we are using.

It's a question does the ammount sound excessive? or not? what sort of traffic amounts (approx) could we expect in our sort of situation?

Thank Post
    It sounds like a lot for that amount of visits but it does depend on the content of the site (have you a badly sized image on the front page or something). A decent hosting provider will show you bandwidth use and give you the log relating to your site. The logs can be used to determine the exact amount of traffic.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    We are 500ish Independent Day Prep. We get between 1000-1400 visits a week (800-1000 unique visitors) and rarely go over 1GB/month.

6. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Stuart_C (6th December 2012)

Thank Post
    never bothered to stat ours but I doubt we get more than a handful of genuine visitors a week and we are a 1100+ Secondary.

get awstats uploaded

TT

8. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

Thank Post

Website Usage

Google Analytics is good for tracking too.

10. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

Thank Post
    Sounds plausible to me.

Large JavaScript files (especially these), CSS, and HTML files all add up to more than you will imagine. That's before you include images into the equation.
    It might be worth checking with your host if they are compressing the files before sending them out over the net, for example, gzip. If for some reason that isn't enabled, you could halve your usage.

I've just looked at the stats for ours last month (IIS), we had just over 120k page requests and used 5.6GB of bandwidth.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread