+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, BYOD Connecting to network in Technical; We have a (part) MERU wireless system and smoothwall. I'd like to be able to offer access without giving out ...

Thank Post

BYOD Connecting to network

We have a (part) MERU wireless system and smoothwall.

I'd like to be able to offer access without giving out a key. So the user will connect to the access point, they will then be prompted for their network credentials and authenticate with the domain. No authentication, no access. Authenticate OK and it doesn't matter what device it is, you are in.

Is this possible?

Thank Post
    You will require a Radius server. The Meru Wireless controller can be configured to act as a Radius server which would allow access via AD authentication (Or so Im led to believe).

3. Thanks to JonThompson from:

pcstru (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Yes

You will need radius server configured on your DC,

You will need a radius entry in the meru "Configuration > Security > Radius"
    You will need a security Profile "configuration > security >profile"to use the radius server
    You will want an ESS " configuration > wireless > ess " to use the security profile

HOWEVER...

are you going to be restricting what they can do once connected to your network?

are you vlanning, port ACLing?

Rob
    Last edited by twin--turbo; 4th December 2012 at 11:06 AM.

5. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

pcstru (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    I thought smoothwall could do the authentication with AD accounts - that's what I am planning here but not got round to setting it up yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    I thought smoothwall could do the authentication with AD accounts - that's what I am planning here but not got round to setting it up yet.
    It can, but I'm guessing they're talking about authentication for the Wireless prior to Smoothwall authentication.

We leave our BYOD network as an open wireless network, when a user connects and then tries browsing the web they get the Smoothwall SSL login prompt at which point they enter their username & password and can then start browsing the internet on their device with their normal filter policy. I've created a Smoothwall policy towards the top policy of the web filter policy to block everything for Year7-11 students on the BYOD subnet (added as a location) as we only allow Sixth Form and Staff on the BYOD network,

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You want to VLAN off BYOD stuff as you have no idea what they are using and have no control over it. Ideally you want to check these devices before you let them on your network too. I do this with Packetfence myself.

PacketFence: Open Source NAC (Network Access Control)

9. Thanks to Geoff from:

Abaddon (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashm View Post
    It can, but I'm guessing they're talking about authentication for the Wireless prior to Smoothwall authentication.

We leave our BYOD network as an open wireless network, when a user connects and then tries browsing the web they get the Smoothwall SSL login prompt at which point they enter their username & password and can then start browsing the internet on their device with their normal filter policy. I've created a Smoothwall policy towards the top policy of the web filter policy to block everything for Year7-11 students on the BYOD subnet (added as a location) as we only allow Sixth Form and Staff on the BYOD network,

do you have encryption? if not then the UN/PW is being fired over the air with no encryption.

we have an easy SSID passphrase and encrypted traffic.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    do you have encryption? if not then the UN/PW is being fired over the air with no encryption.

we have an easy SSID passphrase and encrypted traffic.

Rob
    BYOD network is VLAN'd off with no access to main network, smoothwall is the gateway/dns/dhcp. UN/PW is going via the Smoothwall SSL login. Also client isolation is set up on this wireless network.

12. Thanks to Ashm from:

maark (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    are you going to be restricting what they can do once connected to your network?

are you vlanning, port ACLing?
    Many thanks.

We do VLan traffic. Our current set up requires that they have a wireless key and they then authenticate with smoothwall and only get filtered http or https traffic.

I'd like to be able to open up the protocols a little more so staff (and possibly students) can connect IMAP/POP3, SIP etc.

Thank Post
    Ours is nice and simple as we just let the pupils access one server on :443 ( our VDI ) and that is all. This is via a Captive portal on pFsense, the meru just vlans the Student BYOD ESS to that machine.

We are not implementing AD intergration as yet, we are starting small with 6FM users that have to register for the service acceptint the AUP. We will add them to the users on the Portal.

Once evlauated we will look at the need for Directoy intergration.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread