+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, URL shortener listed on Spamhaus - www.is.gd in Technical; I really hate these un-governed setups but we have to deal with them. I have been informed that we are ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

URL shortener listed on Spamhaus - www.is.gd

I really hate these un-governed setups but we have to deal with them. I have been informed that we are hosting the domain is.gd which is a URL shortener. On checking the site is run [ I think ] by memset [ Dedicated Servers, Managed Hosting & Dedicated Server Hosting | Memset ] which is who is actually hosting a different site. What I want to know [ I will be contacting memset ] if this is a legit site or a spoof [ I'm basically collecting info at the moment ] before I take this further. So I'm after opinions / suggestions. Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    is.gd is a legit URL shortening service that has been around for some time, and is indeed run by Memset. I actually know the MD from way back and will drop a note. Why on earth Spamhaus think you're hosting it is a mystery, but I've had my own problems with them falsely claiming we were sending spam and blacklisting our public IP, so I'm not terribly surprised.

On the other hand, we were never notified in any official capacity of this happening. Where did you get notification from, if I might ask?
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 4th December 2012 at 09:24 AM.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

mattx (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    is.gd is a legit URL shortening service that has been around for some time, and is indeed run by Memset. I actually know the MD from way back and will drop a note. Why on earth Spamhaus think you're hosting it is a mystery, but I've had my own problems with them falsely claiming we were sending spam and blacklisting our public IP, so I'm not terribly surprised.

On the other hand, we were never notified in any official capacity of this happening. Where did you get notification from, if I might ask?
    We had reports from one of our offices that use senderbase for security [ it's a company we run as a separate entiry so they are not within our global network.....yet ] that they could not access one of our web pages. On checking it was listed also on the CBL pages. I've just spent 3 hours trailing through mail logs [ from another sideline company that has been setup ] that uses HmailServer. Problem is all this setup has been dumped onto our laps and we have no idea how this has been setup so I'm having to reverese engineer everything at the moment. What I have found in the logs is an IP address 189.35.74.30 that is somehow [ I think ] using an account to send E-mail [ god knows how as I have not used HmailServer before ] - on checking Project Honey Pot - 189.35.74.30 | Mail Server | IP Address Inspector | Project Honey Pot it seems this IP has been sending spam before. I've been told I can block IP addesses from within Hmailserver so will be looking at that soon......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread