+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, HELP NEEDED - INTERNET INTERMITTENT in Technical; Morning everyone, Since Thursday afternoon we have had a problem where all of a sudden the school internet has become ...
    Thank Post

Post HELP NEEDED - INTERNET INTERMITTENT

Morning everyone, Since Thursday afternoon we have had a problem where all of a sudden the school internet has become intermitant, coming on for about a minute, then not working for a minute. The error in the Firefox browser is ''Connection was reset. The connection to the server was reset while the page was reloading'' If you reload a couple of times, after 40 sec or so the internet works again at its normal speed as if nothing is wrong? This happened all of a sudden, no updates or maintenance have been done and I am really out of ideas???? Our county supplier says there is nothing wrong their end, BT also say the same. We use a county council authentication proxy to get out on the internet, we have no authentication errors coming up so do not think it is that. Have also tried our backup router which has the same problem. I have even resorted to restarting all our servers friday afternoon and the problem still persists??? Any ideas would be greatful!!

Thank Post
    Ring the council - sounds like a proxy/firewall issue make sure everything is OK there end.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    It also sounds like it could be that the ISP/LEA has assigned your external Addresses to somebody else - i had this at a client a few weeks ago and took a while to resolve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daneil16 View Post
    Morning everyone, Since Thursday afternoon we have had a problem where all of a sudden the school internet has become intermitant, coming on for about a minute, then not working for a minute. The error in the Firefox browser is ''Connection was reset. The connection to the server was reset while the page was reloading'' If you reload a couple of times, after 40 sec or so the internet works again at its normal speed as if nothing is wrong? This happened all of a sudden, no updates or maintenance have been done and I am really out of ideas???? Our county supplier says there is nothing wrong their end, BT also say the same. We use a county council authentication proxy to get out on the internet, we have no authentication errors coming up so do not think it is that. Have also tried our backup router which has the same problem. I have even resorted to restarting all our servers friday afternoon and the problem still persists??? Any ideas would be greatful!!

To see if its a proxy issue I'd suggest do the following. open up a command prompt and type "ping -t 8.8.8.8"

This will send constant ping / hello requests to googles public DNS servers. If it continues to reply at the same time that your Internet appears to stop working then it's likely to be a proxy issue. if it says "request timed out" then there's definitely something up with routing / devices between you and google. You could also try ping the councils gateway at the far end of your router. If you do the following command you can work out an internal IP address to ping within the council network but off your schools site "tracert 8.8.8.8"

Good luck!

Dave

Thank Post
    Run continuous pings on an internet site (eg google) and an external PC within county (like your gateway, or proxy) see if you loose conection to both or one when issues occur. Also ping your primary DNS (just to rule local switch issues)

Thank Post
    It might not be you, our Internet is very intermittant at the moment as well.

Thank Post
    We had similar problems recently, and applied two different fixes:
    1 - change your DNS servers to Google not the ISP-provided ones (especially if your ISP is BT)
    2 - upgrade the router to one which could handle more simultaneous connections

To confirm if 2 would help you, when you lose internet connectivity, try pinging the internal IP address of your router. If it times out, then that is your issue.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daneil16 View Post
    Since Thursday afternoon we have had a problem where all of a sudden the school internet has become intermitant
    We've had similar issues, starting about the same time - just a rather flaky Internet connection. I seem to have similar behaviour both at work and at home - the occasional web request just conks out. I figured it was maybe just lots of Internet traffic - black friday in the US and all those online sales starting. Things do seem to have got better over the weekend.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread