+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, What content filtering do you use? in Technical; Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 Dansguardian with squid and winbind on an Ubuntu server = free We use it here with ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 View Post
    Dansguardian with squid and winbind on an Ubuntu server = free

We use it here with 1000 students and have no problems with performance at all
    Same but that server dies, so I am now using the built in web filtering in Sophos Endpoint - Not very good but will temporarily do the job until I get my DG Box back up again.

Thank Post
    thumbs up here for schoolguardian too

3. Thanks to caffrey from:

tom_newton (6th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Fortinet 200B UTM

Thank Post
    We have been using Smoothwall for 18 months now in a failover pair. It took the company six months to get the system working correctly due to bugs in the software.

We have found it to be quite unstable within an Enterprise environment and their support is wholly inadequate - telephone support is never answered and all queries logged though the support web portal are all marked low priority. The most recent issue was logged two weeks ago - not picked up and has resulted in a system failure.

I would not recommend then, which is a shame as the featureset of the UTM is good. The support is awful if you actually have a problem or want to provide a high level of up time for your users.

Checkout Watchguard, or Vyatta.

Thank Post
    I am surprised that it took 6 months.. got it working within 2 weeks here with just one call to them to find a setting. We've found there phone support to be quick.. they even stayed on the phone for 10 mins while we sorted a different problem out, however i have seen the thing you said about there support portal, ive been answered on here by smoothwall within a day while ive been waiting for around a week now on there support portal and still havent got an answer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techdave View Post
    We have been using Smoothwall for 18 months now in a failover pair. It took the company six months to get the system working correctly due to bugs in the software.

We have found it to be quite unstable within an Enterprise environment and their support is wholly inadequate - telephone support is never answered and all queries logged though the support web portal are all marked low priority. The most recent issue was logged two weeks ago - not picked up and has resulted in a system failure.

I would not recommend then, which is a shame as the featureset of the UTM is good. The support is awful if you actually have a problem or want to provide a high level of up time for your users.

That's a shame to hear and definately doesn't seem to be the general consensus...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 View Post
    Dansguardian with squid and winbind on an Ubuntu server = free

We use it here with 1000 students and have no problems with performance at all
    Dansguardian and Squid is what Smoothwall was based around. The Technical Director is Daniel hence the name dansguardian.

Although having run both Smoothwall have done a hell of a lot to it now and have to say its ruddy brilliant. Along with the firewall implementations too.

Thank Post
    You can tell how good it is by how much the students hate it.........

Support has been excellent.......top stuff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Another happy Smoothwall user here, one of the best investment I've made (it sits alongside Juniper Network and Ruckus Wireless) great product and a great team behind it who know what schools want and how things go for us. We use the UTM-1000 and also have BYOD and its great no complaints that is isn't working well for me at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techdave View Post

That sounds very out of sorts for them, never had issues with phone or web support before and when waiting a call back it is usually within an hour unless I say I'm out call between X and Y so very unusual.

Perhaps worth sending @tom_newton a PM to get him to look into this as this isn't the support we know of.

Thank Post
    @techdave - sorry to hear you had a crappy experience with us. We can't get it right every time, but it sounds like we got it pretty wrong for you. PM me your details, at least so I can make sure whatever bit you gets sorted. If you come to BETT, i'd gladly trade war stories over a coffee, or drop me a line by email or phone.
    @glennda yes Dan is still about, though we're on a completely different platform to dg now (cunningly called dansguardian3 if you look at the binary name...)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    @techdave - sorry to hear you had a crappy experience with us. We can't get it right every time, but it sounds like we got it pretty wrong for you. PM me your details, at least so I can make sure whatever bit you gets sorted. If you come to BETT, i'd gladly trade war stories over a coffee, or drop me a line by email or phone.
    @glennda yes Dan is still about, though we're on a completely different platform to dg now (cunningly called dansguardian3 if you look at the binary name...)
    Having used both there is a hell of a lot been changed!!! Corr I miss smoothies. Still trying to find a need for one here!

Thank Post
    Thanks all.

We have requested some quotes for Smoothwall, Now to convince the money holders!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12