+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, School Website Migration Fail. PHP help! in Technical; Hi Achandler, The structure of the ftp contains "/htdocs/httpdocs/test.html. ftp.jpg...

Thank Post
    Hi Achandler, The structure of the ftp contains "/htdocs/httpdocs/test.html.

ftp.jpg

Thank Post
    Not sure if this helps, but
    http://www.kibprimary.leics.sch.uk/h...mages/stories/

Shows a blank page, rather than an error message. I suspect that you have two issues here:
    1/ you have transfered the whole site to the wrong directory. Delete everything in your FTP folder and create a simple HTML page. FTP the simple page and get it to display. Try something like:
    <html>
    <head><title>Test page</title></head>
    <body>Test page</body>
    </html>
    This will confirm where the page should be displayed and doesnt rely on mysql or php.

Once you have that working, edit the page to read:
    <head><title>Test page</title></head>
    <body>
    <?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>
    </body>
    When you refresh the page you should see the php info page. This will confirm that php is working.

2/ Now that you know where to transfer your page to and that php is all ok, transfer the whole site to that directory and try again. There are a number of things that could go wrong:
    * mysql data base not set up correctly - depending on the page code, it may give you some clues as to what is wrong
    * a config file somewhere hasnt got the correct settings - again, very much specific to how the site is written.

Sorry I cant help further, the issue is that you are trying to transfer a complex and advanced setup but (and with the greatest of respect), you are running before you can walk! My advice is to battle it through, grab some strong coffee and slide up the steep learning curve! Its fun and very rewarding when you get there!
    Phil
    </html>

3. Thanks to philwaud from:

dnavekar (2nd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Looking at the folder structure, the correct folders exist, as int eh correct ones for a Joomla install and in the right place.

There could be multiple issues, as phil has highlighted above. Firstly you need to get php working, then once that is definitely working, you need to check other things step by step. If phpworks and you still have no site then:

I would suspect your config file is wrong and pointing to the wrong place, usually when you move hosts, they will give you all the SQL details, you need to make sure these are right or Joomla will display nothing (an error if your lucky) because it can't read any info from the database.
    If your config file is definitely correct, then try "reinstalling" the website, just replace all your files directly. Though deleting and re-adding is a better way of doing it.

Thank Post
    Hey Siuko, I've just been in touch with our ISP who confirm that they do use Fasthosts have said php 5 is enabled on the site.

Thank Post
    Your config file is likely wrong then, have you updated the locations and username/ passwords in it

Thank Post
    I may be missing the obvious, but aren't the permissions on those files wrong anyway? 604 wouldn't let public execute the php would it? (I may be missing something, as I don't do chmod much tbh, just looks odd)

Wondering if it's just got default permissions from FTP client etc... Or I'm going crazy..

Steve

Thank Post
    Well spotted Steve, they should be 644 most likely.

9. Thanks to Achandler from:

Thank Post
    Hi Phil, many thanks for this. We can try this but backing up our ftp will kill our bandwidth during the school day. We'll have to initiate that at the end of the day. We'll try this on Monday morning.

The mySQL export and import went reasonably well, although the file was over 6MB which had to split into manageable sub 2MB chunks and then imported in mySQL. This was tested and executed successfully. Do you think there may be an issue here?

The configuration.php has been amended accordingly to new mySQL log in details.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dnavekar View Post
    Hi Pete, Yes, we are using version of Joomla which seems to be invented before the internet. We have changed the Username & Password for the mySQL on the configuration.php file. The Host is still listed as "localhost" in all lines of code relating to host.
    If your host is Fasthosts, then the var $host should be an ip address and not localhost

12. Thanks to Devontechie from:

Thank Post
    Thanks Steve, Achandler, I'll give this a go!

Thank Post
    Hi Steve, I'll give this a go once file permissions have been processed as per Steve21 and Achandler to 644.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dnavekar View Post
    Hi Phil, many thanks for this. We can try this but backing up our ftp will kill our bandwidth during the school day. We'll have to initiate that at the end of the day. We'll try this on Monday morning.

The mySQL export and import went reasonably well, although the file was over 6MB which had to split into manageable sub 2MB chunks and then imported in mySQL. This was tested and executed successfully. Do you think there may be an issue here?

The configuration.php has been amended accordingly to new mySQL log in details.
    Trying to access many of those folders gives permission denied so I would +1 re the permission issue.
    Its a sorry state when FTPing a site makes it a no no from in school, but I do sympathise!
    You are at the end of the help i can offer here, I arent familiar with joomla - I did use it in the early days but got miffed with the joomla/drupal spat so left it alone.

Good luck, Ill keep an eye on the thread and jump in if anything obvious yells at me!

Phil

16. Thanks to philwaud from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12