+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Blank Flash Objects in Technical; Hi folks, I'm tearing my hair out here trying to resolve an issue with a web page showing blank Flash ...
    Thank Post

Question Blank Flash Objects

Hi folks,

I'm tearing my hair out here trying to resolve an issue with a web page showing blank Flash objects.

The page(s) in question are actually from a locally installed electronics encyclopaedia (Absorb Electronics by Crocodile Clips).

They will only work properly in IE9, and work fine both on test installs (including my PC), and our entire student network. They fail to work on a specific teacher's laptop.

I have reset IE9, tried it in safe mode, reinstalled and updated Flash, and still cannot get them to load.

Any ideas?

TIA

Thank Post
    Have you tried running through the steps on the flash helpsite Find version ??

I'd also take a look at Flash Player games, video, or audio don't work | Windows, as it has some useful steps.

3. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

Gongalong (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By default activex is not allowed to run from a local machine I believe.
    You should be able to tweak the local security settings or add the url to trusted sites.

5. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Gongalong (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks both.

It's local content on the hard disk so I can't seem to add it to trusted sites. The odd thing is our student PCs are relatively locked down, yet it works fine.

Unfortunately it's only happening on this teacher's laptop, and he needs it most of the time, so I'll have to wait before troubleshooting again.

One further thought is that we normally install Flash from a version we have here, so perhaps updating it caused more problems?

Thank Post
    I'd make sure that you check the version of Flash you're installing, Gongalong.

I've seen a problem before, where a particular version of flash and Realplayer were causing similar issues in Firefox, but the next update resolved the problems.

The current version that I'm using and having installed on our PCs, is 11.4.402.265 (I've not tested 402.278 yet). If you have any trouble finding an installer, I'd suggest looking on filehippo, as they tend to keep a decent archive of prior releases.

8. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

Gongalong (8th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    Thanks both.

It's local content on the hard disk so I can't seem to add it to trusted sites. The odd thing is our student PCs are relatively locked down, yet it works fine.

Unfortunately it's only happening on this teacher's laptop, and he needs it most of the time, so I'll have to wait before troubleshooting again.

One further thought is that we normally install Flash from a version we have here, so perhaps updating it caused more problems?
    Local content should have a url like file:// and I thought that worked in trusted sites (uncheck https required)

10. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

Gongalong (8th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    The current version that I'm using and having installed on our PCs, is 11.4.402.265 (I've not tested 402.278 yet). If you have any trouble finding an installer, I'd suggest looking on filehippo, as they tend to keep a decent archive of prior releases.
    This is the version I've tried. We do have an older version we use ordinarily, so I might give that a whirl if I can get the laptop back for more testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Local content should have a url like file:// and I thought that worked in trusted sites (uncheck https required)
    Ah OK, I'll give that a try. It seems odd though because this works on all the other PCs I've been able to test with, without needing any additional configuration. It suggests something's wrong on this PC, but the £64M question is what?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread