+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Creating an intranet with media gallery in Technical; Hi all, I need a bit of advice. I am looking to build a intranet site for the school, but ...

Thank Post

Creating an intranet with media gallery

Hi all,

I need a bit of advice. I am looking to build a intranet site for the school, but i dont know what to use to create the site. I was thinking Sharepoint.

I also want to include in this a room booking system (MRBS) and a media gallery (a youtube style one would be good. Any advice on this, preferably free?). I also want to have seperate views for staff and students.

I have looked at Joomla, Sharepoint and wordpress. I am leaning towards Sharepoint.

Cheers
    Sean

Thank Post
    I went with Joomla and love it. We dont really have any media stuff on there at the moment, but we could if need be.

Thank Post
    We use Helix Media Server for our media gallery. The interface is very youtube like and if you access a video it will show to code to either link to it or embed it in a webpage. The embed works well for us in Moodle. The downside it isn't free and it can be touchy with mp4's. I don't know why and I can't figure out how to switch on logging for the conversion process. To get around this, I convert the mp4 to avi and it works fine.

As to Sharepoint, avoid like the plague. It is a very big sledgehammer to crack a very small nut. We use it for our intranet and administering it is a right pain. We used to use Moodle and secretaries found it very easy to key data such as daily notices, minutes of meetings, etc. Under SP this is a real pain. The process to do it directly is way to complicated and the only way to make it easy for the non-IT literate is to have them save a word document as HTML and then use an appropriate webpart to pick it up. This still causes no end of problems; "Why has it changed by font?", "I need to call my file yyyy.doc not xxxx.html and the website doesn't find it", etc. I'd advise Moodle, Joomla, Wordpress, or a cork pinup board. You'll have far less problems.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies. I was looking at gallery server pro as a media gallery it is web-based so could be accessed as an external source or within chosen intranet site.

Unixman im unsure now what to go with. I had a quick play with Joomla a while ago and couldnt get on with it. Maybe i need to sit down longer with it. Moodle i have never played with before, has anyone else used this for their intranet?

Any more opinions on what to use for our intranet creation would be helpful?

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread