+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Filtering image search in Technical; Morning gentlemen. I have been asked by the headteacher to restrict what can be seen on image searches (google, bing ...
    Thank Post

Filtering image search

Morning gentlemen.

I have been asked by the headteacher to restrict what can be seen on image searches (google, bing etc) after he "tested" by typing in "sex" and was horrified by what he saw, please see attachment! - I'm not too sure if he is being overly picky.

Currently safe search is enabled and set to strict and enforced to both staff and students Is there a way to filter the images further or will it be a case of blocking google / bing image search all together?

Untitled.jpg

Thanks in advanced.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They don't look like bad images to me. Just a lot of pink but no naughty bits. What does he actually want to see there when he searches for 'sex'?

Thank Post
    What options does your filter give you regarding Google? Default Local Authority filter?
    Last edited by pete; 27th September 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They don't look like bad images to me. Just a lot of pink but no naughty bits. What does he actually want to see there when he searches for 'sex'?
    He just doesn't want those kind of images to be displayed which is somewhat frustrating, as it's a bit too specific to do.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    What options does your filter give you regarding Google? Default Local Authority filter?
    We are using our LEA filter and there are no options within regarding google.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardjr View Post
    He just doesn't want those kind of images to be displayed which is somewhat frustrating, as it's a bit too specific to do.
    I'm still not quite sure what he wants - the images there are 'suggestive' in some, and just happy couples in others. You're not going to be able to filter any further I don't think without simply blocking Google images.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm still not quite sure what he wants - the images there are 'suggestive' in some, and just happy couples in others. You're not going to be able to filter any further I don't think without simply blocking Google images.
    I think it is probably the picture of obama?

Just for info, we use websense provided by our LEA, and get the same results which are very good compared to what could turn up. All students have smart phones with 3g anyway if they want to get these images they will.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardjr View Post
    We are using our LEA filter and there are no options within regarding google.
    We had a similar issue and we run our own Smoothwall, not LEA based. After speaking to smoothwall i believe they said that they could enforce safesearch on google but what actually then appears in the google search is down to google, not them. They can only start filtering once you actually try to go to one of the links.... @tom_newton might be able to confirm this for me as it was a while ago i spoke to them about it.....

I'm not sure what you can do other than speak to your LEA who provide your filter. If they can't help there is little you can do, as long as safe search is enabled you've done your bit in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by british_government View Post
    I think it is probably the picture of obama?

Just for info, we use websense provided by our LEA, and get the same results which are very good compared to what could turn up. All students have smart phones with 3g anyway if they want to get these images they will.
    Very true, I know some schools including ours have banned phones all together!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    We had a similar issue and we run our own Smoothwall, not LEA based. After speaking to smoothwall i believe they said that they could enforce safesearch on google but what actually then appears in the google search is down to google, not them. They can only start filtering once you actually try to go to one of the links.... @tom_newton might be able to confirm this for me as it was a while ago i spoke to them about it.....

I'm not sure what you can do other than speak to your LEA who provide your filter. If they can't help there is little you can do, as long as safe search is enabled you've done your bit in my opinion.

Thanks, may have to look into Smoothwall.

Thank Post
    I'm sure Smoothwall can also filter search terms, so it would block the page based on the search term not the images.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread