+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Filtering image search in Technical; Morning gentlemen. I have been asked by the headteacher to restrict what can be seen on image searches (google, bing ...
  1. #1
    Edwardjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0

    Filtering image search

    Morning gentlemen.

    I have been asked by the headteacher to restrict what can be seen on image searches (google, bing etc) after he "tested" by typing in "sex" and was horrified by what he saw, please see attachment! - I'm not too sure if he is being overly picky.

    Currently safe search is enabled and set to strict and enforced to both staff and students Is there a way to filter the images further or will it be a case of blocking google / bing image search all together?


    Untitled.jpg


    Thanks in advanced.

  2. #2

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,372
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    890
    They don't look like bad images to me. Just a lot of pink but no naughty bits. What does he actually want to see there when he searches for 'sex'?

  3. #3


    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the server room, with the lead pipe.
    Posts
    4,704
    Thank Post
    285
    Thanked 788 Times in 615 Posts
    Rep Power
    226
    What options does your filter give you regarding Google? Default Local Authority filter?
    Last edited by pete; 27th September 2012 at 11:37 AM.

  4. #4
    Edwardjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They don't look like bad images to me. Just a lot of pink but no naughty bits. What does he actually want to see there when he searches for 'sex'?
    He just doesn't want those kind of images to be displayed which is somewhat frustrating, as it's a bit too specific to do.

  5. #5
    Edwardjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    What options does your filter give you regarding Google? Default Local Authority filter?
    We are using our LEA filter and there are no options within regarding google.

  6. #6

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,372
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,611 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardjr View Post
    He just doesn't want those kind of images to be displayed which is somewhat frustrating, as it's a bit too specific to do.
    I'm still not quite sure what he wants - the images there are 'suggestive' in some, and just happy couples in others. You're not going to be able to filter any further I don't think without simply blocking Google images.

  7. #7
    british_government's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    160
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm still not quite sure what he wants - the images there are 'suggestive' in some, and just happy couples in others. You're not going to be able to filter any further I don't think without simply blocking Google images.
    I think it is probably the picture of obama?

    Just for info, we use websense provided by our LEA, and get the same results which are very good compared to what could turn up. All students have smart phones with 3g anyway if they want to get these images they will.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    914
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 184 Times in 159 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardjr View Post
    We are using our LEA filter and there are no options within regarding google.
    We had a similar issue and we run our own Smoothwall, not LEA based. After speaking to smoothwall i believe they said that they could enforce safesearch on google but what actually then appears in the google search is down to google, not them. They can only start filtering once you actually try to go to one of the links.... @tom_newton might be able to confirm this for me as it was a while ago i spoke to them about it.....

    I'm not sure what you can do other than speak to your LEA who provide your filter. If they can't help there is little you can do, as long as safe search is enabled you've done your bit in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Edwardjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by british_government View Post
    I think it is probably the picture of obama?

    Just for info, we use websense provided by our LEA, and get the same results which are very good compared to what could turn up. All students have smart phones with 3g anyway if they want to get these images they will.
    Very true, I know some schools including ours have banned phones all together!

  10. #10
    Edwardjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    58
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    We had a similar issue and we run our own Smoothwall, not LEA based. After speaking to smoothwall i believe they said that they could enforce safesearch on google but what actually then appears in the google search is down to google, not them. They can only start filtering once you actually try to go to one of the links.... @tom_newton might be able to confirm this for me as it was a while ago i spoke to them about it.....

    I'm not sure what you can do other than speak to your LEA who provide your filter. If they can't help there is little you can do, as long as safe search is enabled you've done your bit in my opinion.

    Thanks, may have to look into Smoothwall.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    77
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    I'm sure Smoothwall can also filter search terms, so it would block the page based on the search term not the images.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Smoothwall safe image search
    By cookie_monster in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17th November 2009, 04:19 PM
  2. [PHP] Custom Google Image Search
    By Hightower in forum Web Development
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th March 2009, 04:47 PM
  3. Google Safe Image Search
    By ZeroHour in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23rd January 2009, 03:42 PM
  4. Image Search
    By icttech in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th November 2008, 02:24 PM
  5. filtering problematic search engines
    By gaz350 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th December 2007, 03:16 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •