+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, IPads And IOS6 in Technical; A student came into the office saying that he had updated his iPad from IOS5 to IOS6 and now it ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,190 Times in 813 Posts
    Blog Entries

IPads And IOS6

A student came into the office saying that he had updated his iPad from IOS5 to IOS6 and now it doesn't work on our wireless network. It works for him at home on IOS6 and had worked on our wireless network on IOS5 yesterday.

I have done some work on this and I have found that IOS6 may not agree with proxies. Has anyone else seen this or solved it?

I ask because we have some iPads for Science [currently on IOS5] If we move these to IOS6 at some later date will we see the same problem with these also?

I am aware that using a transparent proxy might fix this but that will work on Ringmaster and I am trying to avoid that if I can [no budget]

Thanks.

Thank Post
    We have similar issues with our IO6 devices and our Smoothwall cookie based AD Login. After speaking to the support, they advise using the google chrome app until they are able to resolve the Safari issue.

3. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

DaveP (4th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I would hangfire on upgrading anything to IOS6.
    Bought an ipad3, upgraded to 6, no wifi on school network since but works fine at home.
    Reading seems to indicate that it tries to connect to www.apple.com/library/test/success.htm when you connect to any wireless network.
    As we are using Smoothwall SSL login (captive portal if you will) the device was not getting to the success site and therefore dropped the connection.
    Exempting this site from authentication doesn't appear to work however even though I have proven with other devices authentication is now not required.
    How apple can push this stuff on us when there are thousands of education establishments, coffee shops, airport lounges etc etc where their device will now not work is a mystery.

When is the Surface released?

5. 2 Thanks to Duds:

DaveP (4th October 2012), Davit2005 (4th October 2012)

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Rule of thumb with IOS (along with a few other major updates) is to do not update as soon as the update appears unless you have an underlying issue.

I had a problem with my iPhone ruuning IOS 5 that was effecting connecting to both the schools network and my home network. My I pad was fine at home and as such I'm not in a hurry to update that to IOS 6 yet, looks like a wise decision.

Since updating my iPhone to IOS 6 last week the wireless issues seemed to of dissapeared. Not planning to update the iPad yet.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 4th October 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Thank Post
    We have iOS 6 on our iPads and they work on the Internet fine however we do have ours setup to use transparent proxy via smoothwall

Thank Post
    Davit you are 100% correct.

I am admittedly not an Apple fan, the complete opposite in fact. Years of waiting for SP1 before deploying any Windows product should have been experience enough for me not to have done this.

At least it is more ammunition when I next go apple bashing ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duds View Post
    I would hangfire on upgrading anything to IOS6.
    Bought an ipad3, upgraded to 6, no wifi on school network since but works fine at home.
    Reading seems to indicate that it tries to connect to www.apple.com/library/test/success.htm when you connect to any wireless network.
    As we are using Smoothwall SSL login (captive portal if you will) the device was not getting to the success site and therefore dropped the connection.
    Exempting this site from authentication doesn't appear to work however even though I have proven with other devices authentication is now not required.
    How apple can push this stuff on us when there are thousands of education establishments, coffee shops, airport lounges etc etc where their device will now not work is a mystery.

When is the Surface released?
    Ouch, we use a captive portal to provide access to BYOD for students/staff and also for Guest passes.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This would appear to be a more widespread issue as it's being reported on by the general tech news now.

Apple's iOS 6 stumbles on basic connectivity: Wi-Fi | Apple - CNET News

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duds View Post
    Davit you are 100% correct.

I am admittedly not an Apple fan, the complete opposite in fact. Years of waiting for SP1 before deploying any Windows product should have been experience enough for me not to have done this.

At least it is more ammunition when I next go apple bashing ;-)
    Sorry to upset you, I use mostly Apple at home, have more OSX than MS, feel I am about to lose some reputation having mentioned that

Thank Post
    Word from Smoothwall is to add apple.com/library/test to the list of sites that do not require authentication.
    Ensure that unauthenticated IPs are included in this rule.

Trying now, will let you know

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    A student came into the office saying that he had updated his iPad from IOS5 to IOS6 and now it doesn't work on our wireless network. It works for him at home on IOS6 and had worked on our wireless network on IOS5 yesterday.

I have done some work on this and I have found that IOS6 may not agree with proxies. Has anyone else seen this or solved it?

I ask because we have some iPads for Science [currently on IOS5] If we move these to IOS6 at some later date will we see the same problem with these also?

I am aware that using a transparent proxy might fix this but that will work on Ringmaster and I am trying to avoid that if I can [no budget]

Thanks.
    i use my iphone ios6 via a transparent proxy and you dont need to pay to add a transparent proxy. set a linux box up with squid and direct it at your current proxy. if its not on Linux or you cant get at the config. and put firehol on it direct firehol to use the proxy for all protocols and walla, we use it transparently as default saves us putting settings into anything, work smart not hard.

if you want squid or firehol settings PM me.

14. Thanks to januttall from:

DaveP (4th October 2012)

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,190 Times in 813 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by januttall View Post
    i use my iphone ios6 via a transparent proxy and you dont need to pay to add a transparent proxy. set a linux box up with squid and direct it at your current proxy. if its not on Linux or you cant get at the config. and put firehol on it direct firehol to use the proxy for all protocols and walla, we use it transparently as default saves us putting settings into anything, work smart not hard.

if you want squid or firehol settings PM me.
    That sounds interesting although I must say it might be beyond my skills as far as Linux is concerned. I will look at any documentation you have to see if I can understand what needs to be done.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    No joy.

Still unable to connect. *sigh

Thank Post
    Just a quick 1, I had a problem with the wifi, kept dropping out. Changed the security passcode to WPA2 and it seems to have fixed the issue,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread