+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, Basic vpn for small primary in Technical; Hi, I am looking for a cheap vpn system. I did search the forums but it has been a while ...

Thank Post

Basic vpn for small primary

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap vpn system. I did search the forums but it has been a while since anyone asked about vpnís

*It must be very easy to setup as I only work at the school 3 hours a fortnight.
    *I do have a spare 2008r2 server
    *very limited funds
    *Web based if possible.

Obviously a hardware vpn would cost way too much but would consider second hand hardware or some form of appliance that turns a computer in to a vpn.

Do not want adito or openvpn

Thanks for any advice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How much are we looking at?

Not a VPN but good for remote access and free - Home Access Plus+

Or there is the built-in VPN in Windows Server

Thank Post
    It would be for 10 users.

I could probably push them to a few hundred pounds if I make a good case for it.

I did have a play with home access a year or so back but never got it working. Might have another bash at that one.

MS VPN has always confused me as they seem to do different versions TG web apps SSL etc. None of which I have used before. I only need basic access to the staff folders and it needs to be easy for the staff to use (Web based would be nice). If you can recommend a way of doing this using MS software that would be handy.

Thank Post
    Since you have 2008R2 you could use DirectAccess, which assuming they're on Windows 7 clients, would be free... and even easier to setup if you could push to a Server 2012 upgrade.

I'm looking to do this today actually for a few of our staff.
    Last edited by Blue_Cookeh; 10th September 2012 at 09:36 AM.

Thank Post
    We have a VPN here with 100 users on it, just set one up this morning also at the same company with an additional 50 users, We use a free routing platform (PC Based) called PfSense, it has OpenVPN built in and the console is all web based, very easy to setup and configure - infact it took me 20 minutes to setup the VPN for all of our users and never had an issue with it since.

VPN Capability OpenVPN - PFSenseDocs
    PfSense Open VPN Tutorial (with Narrator) - YouTube

it even has the OpenVPN Client export utility which is very nice, it basically creates an installer for each person then you give them it and they install it and that's it, they open it when they want to connect.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don't need ISA or TMG to use the MS VPN, it is just a role in server 2008, it does use CALs though so any connection to it technically counts. If these are staff laptops then it does not matter as they should already be licenced with CALs anyway.

Thank Post
    Since you have 2008R2 you could use DirectAccess, which assuming they're on Windows 7 clients, would be free... and even easier to setup if you could push to a Server 2012 upgrade.
    DA is not an option as it needs Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Ultimate, the school have pro.

Thank Post
    Going to have a look at pfsense and MS vpn.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Found this very easy setup info for MS VPN
    http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2010/10/h...erver-2008-r2/

Before I march onward:
    I was thinking of setting this up using the hyper-v system built in to 2008 r2. I have 2 physical nics.
    Q1. Is the above set up info usable if I have 2 Nics or use hyper-v or should I look for another?

Thank Post
    I do like MS VPN BUT - I'm not sure how secure it is... At least with OpenVPN & PfSense you can configure firewall / VLAN options for it which is handy.

Google Image Result for http://www.hagen-bauer.de/blog/201004/201004-pfsense-openvpn2.png

Thank Post
    I do like MS VPN BUT - I'm not sure how secure it is... At least with OpenVPN & PfSense you can configure firewall / VLAN options for it which is handy.
    It's hard to make a choice with out actually using both and getting ports opened with our LA takes forever.

Decisions, decisions.

Thank Post
    Can PfSense run in hyper-v?

Thank Post
    Yes, pfsense can run virtually - we have it on VMWare here and I have ran it on different Virtual Platforms in the past.

For testing you can use VMWare player or Virtualbox - it works on both.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post

Google Image Result for http://www.hagen-bauer.de/blog/201004/201004-pfsense-openvpn2.png
    It can be secure but you need to use the right settings, i.e. not PPTP, rather IPSEC or HTTPS. HTTPS requires an SSL cert but only requires 443 open, the others require a bit more. DirectAccess is nice and can be tunnelled over 443 but is kinda complex at the moment and far better implemented in 2012.

You are just as likely to end up with an insecure connection with OpenVPN if you configure it wrong. Something like Untangle can simplify but you also need to deploy software to use it and they need to install it as Admin for it to actually work. You can also put rather heavy restrictions on VPNed traffic restricting it to certain protocols or even a certain VLAN depending on how your network adapters are configured if you need to. Again, it's all down to the configuration.

As to Business, if you have a volume agreement you can use Enterprise, it is just a SA benefit and much better for actually managed networks as it includes everything unlike business.

Thank Post
    DrayTek Vigour Router, Only £180 will do 10 VPN users fine.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast