+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
International Visitor Chat Thread, interactive whiteboards in General; I own a private school of english in Greece and I intend to equip all my classrooms with interactive whiteboards. ...

Thank Post

interactive whiteboards

I own a private school of english in Greece and I intend to equip all my classrooms with interactive whiteboards. I havent't madeup my mind yet, though, which brand name to buy : smartboard 600i, hitachi, or promethean? Can somebody help me out?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally i would go with either SmartBoard or Promethean.

In our school we do have mainly SmartBoards though

James.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Smartboards can be used with anything, fingers etc

hitachi and promethean require the use of their pen and theyre more acurate for it, but you'll have to make sure not to lose the pens because they're expensive to replace (~£100ea)

Thank Post

Promethean pens

I am not sure where Midget buys pens from but you should not be paying more than 10-12 euros for a replacement Promethean pen. I cannot comment on Hitachi.

Thank Post
    Go for the Smartboards, absolutely bomb proof, 50 here and one fault in 7 years!

Thank Post
    We've got over 50 Smartboard here and they don't give any trouble and the staff find them easy to use. The only disadvantage with the smart is their surface is relatively soft, so if you forsee furniture being bounced off them it might be worth looking at something else.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wc51pb View Post
    I am not sure where Midget buys pens from but you should not be paying more than 10-12 euros for a replacement Promethean pen. I cannot comment on Hitachi.
    that was for a hitachi pen 2-3years ago

Thank Post
    We're also a school who uses SmartBoards, never had a problem and significantly cheaper than Promethean. Can't comment on Hitachi though.

Thank Post
    We have around 30 Smartboards and would recommend them. Short throw projectors are aslo a good idea but I'd suggest the Hitachi rather than Smart's own which I believe has very expensive replacement bulbs.

Thank Post
    I used to swear by the promethean boards, but any new schools that are built in our area are going exclusively with smartboards.

Getting support and help once they'd been installed wrong was a nightmare. Bulb life is on some of ours 600 hours, which if they are used all day only last around 6 months (and they cost a fortune to replace)

The smarboards that we have, 99.9% of the time just work. I've only had one issue but that was software (and my fault) so I'd say smartboards all the way.

Oh, just remembered we did have one issue that was eventually sorted. We had a smartboard installed in one of our nurseries that is an outside wooden insulated building. The guys that were installing it warned the school that there could be problems because of the metal insulation used within the actual walls itself.

The smart boards have a metal sheet in the boards, this is how it works but because the whole wall behind it had metal too it didn't work properly. The smart board guys did fix it even though the warned us they did a great job and got it working.

So, it's not really a bad thing against the smartboard, just the walls...

Thank Post
    I'd suggest Smartboards with a short throw projector which sits just above the board. Initial cost may be a little higher but in the long term cheaper to run (600i bulbs are expensive!) and should allow more flexibility in the future should you wish to upgrade.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by passport View Post
    I own a private school of english in Greece and I intend to equip all my classrooms with interactive whiteboards. I havent't madeup my mind yet, though, which brand name to buy : smartboard 600i, hitachi, or promethean? Can somebody help me out?
    Please note we have deleted the post from Greece replying to this threa as it appears that the reply came from the same ISP as the orginal poster. This is of course very suspicious behaviour, and we frown deeply on non-authorised commercial use of the forums.

Dos_Box.

Thank Post
    Beware of Greeks bearing gifts

Thank Post
    we have 20 smartboards (teacher´s love it) and 5 polivision 600.. There´s a new cheaper smartboard named VULCANO ,here in Mexico there´s a special prize right now 3x2 for $1,500 dlls.. we only had one problem with one mothercard of polivision

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    Smartboards can be used with anything, fingers etc

hitachi and promethean require the use of their pen and theyre more acurate for it, but you'll have to make sure not to lose the pens because they're expensive to replace (~£100ea)
    Promethean pens are different to the hitatchi ones. The Hitachi ones run on AAA batteries and are a nitemare and very expensive to replace. The promethean ones are passive and don't have a battery and are thus very cheap to replace - we pay around £10 a pen and order 10 at a time.

The Promethean boards are very hardwaring because they have a hard surface which is difficult to damage - that's the main reason we opted for them, but I understand the smartboards can be more intuative to use although I've only used a smartboard once it did work well.

It very much depends on the situation as to what board you want to opt for, they're all pretty good at what they do.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast