+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
International Visitor Chat Thread, Hello from Saudi Arabia in General; Originally Posted by RobKuwait Hi Arthur, Vik and Jacques! Kuwait is great. Come and visit! On the IT front I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobKuwait View Post
    Hi Arthur, Vik and Jacques!

Kuwait is great. Come and visit!

On the IT front I need to mug up on vb.net and SQL Server Xpress 2008, as MS Access is frowned upon here.
    Access is frowned upon here too!!! That legacy db you left me was a nightmare to manage, i've ended up slowly transferring systems over to SIMS.

Do you use SIMS over there? What school are you at?

vb.net is cool, i wrote an app for SIMS upgrade handling. haven't had much time for it lately though, been doing some old school batch files to move, rename photos between sims and Oliver.

Thank Post
    Well it never gave me any nightmares

How's SIMS working with the auto-standardized reading test scores and MS extra-curricular clubs?

No we don't have SIMS here. I'm at New English School (www.neskt.com). What data management we have is based on a home-grown SQL Server db accessed through a home-written vb.net app. I aim to improve things and streamline them a bit.
    Last edited by RobKuwait; 29th January 2009 at 07:27 AM.

Thank Post

How's SIMS working with the auto-standardized reading test scores and MS extra-curricular clubs?

No we don't have SIMS here. I'm at New English School (New English School of Kuwait). What data management we have is based on a home-grown SQL Server db accessed through a home-written vb.net app. I aim to improve things and streamline them a bit.
    I am sure you will be able to streamline things!! I am glad you can get into the IT side of things there too!! Are you running a flight simulator club yet??

Thank Post
    Not set up a FS club yet but it's on the 'to do' list. Just picked up a copy of FSX Gold edition. Will install tomorrow and see how it runs under Vista.

Thank Post

Smile

No we don't have SIMS here. I'm at New English School (www.neskt.com). What data management we have is based on a home-grown SQL Server db accessed through a home-written vb.net app. I aim to improve things and streamline them a bit.
    sorry missed this message until now. i can't do access and your system was too complex for me to get my head round in a hurry.

the reading test scores works really well , sims has a lookup table function and can use the scores entered by teachers along with the student's age to do the math. it also traffic lights ()the results so that went down a treat with Karen for the English GRT stuff. Not done anything with the Maths yet as they are doing a school wide review of assessment.

No-one has mentioned MS (now UP - Upper Primary) clubs....

I envy you, having your own SQL db, that's so powerful, especially if you get to do queries directly through your own app. Good luck with that.

i think i know a lass at NESKT - Lucy OB , english teacher, says 'senit' instead of 'seen it'; really cute. you know her?

Thank Post
    Glad SIMS is doing the biz with the reading tests. In Access I just used a table with 3 fields: chrono age in months, raw score, standardized score. The primary key was a composite of the first two fields. The query looked for a match on those two fields.

My Access db isn't really all that complex; it's just got a lot of add-ons from when people kept asking me to put new stuff on. It all centres on the StudentsBasicDataMain table, where each student has a numerical ID. All the other tables link to the students by that ID. If you need to extract any data from it, let me know and I can point you to the relevant bits so you can ignore the rest.

If the queries look peculiar, look at them in SQL view and they should make better sense.

Good luck

Haven't come across Lucy yet... I guess she teaches in the senior school? I'll look out for her.
    Last edited by RobKuwait; 14th February 2009 at 08:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks. at some point i will be asked (i'm sure) to extract some old data...
    i messed around a little, but time contraints prevented me exploring the system fully.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information