+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, 2007 Summative test in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi All Should my APS have downloaded the 2007 summative MSI file yet? Just that in the log it keeps ...
    Thank Post

2007 Summative test

Hi All

Should my APS have downloaded the 2007 summative MSI file yet? Just that in the log it keeps saying "download of summative-2007 test" initiated (or words to that effect). However it does not show up in the file store directory like the rest of the practice stuff.

Just wondering as I should be looking to get this test deployed fairly sharpish

Thanx!

Thank Post

Re: 2007 Summative test

In APS if I go to Test>Manage Tests, the Summative Test 2007 is there, though not due for release until the 23rd of this month. Hope this helps

Thank Post

I was getting a bit worried there was no sign of it too

However as of 13.45 today it has been downloaded on our server so it is available now

Thank Post

Yes, ours was made available to us yesterday.

Thank Post

Yip - pushed that sucker out this morning

Off topic slightly, but even after going through all the accreditation process, what should i be prepared for on exam days? I've read about lock ups and all kinds on this forum, and to be honest I wouldn't know what to do if there was a problem. I've not long been in this job but apparently there were no issues here last year

Thank Post

Been getting an error after installing the new test via the MSI

When a student logs on they get:

Code:
    'An error has occurred in the Delivery Point System application.

Access to the path "KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 109x" is denied

Contact your system administrator'
    Once an admin has logged on its ok, doesnt make any sense. Deployed in exactly the same way as I did the others.

If I look on the C drive there is a folder in C:\program files\QCA testing\delivery point system\tds\tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 109x that is empty and another folder without the x at the end which has the test in it.

Nothing is logged in the application or system event log.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by stevenb
    Yip - pushed that sucker out this morning

Off topic slightly, but even after going through all the accreditation process, what should i be prepared for on exam days? I've read about lock ups and all kinds on this forum, and to be honest I wouldn't know what to do if there was a problem. I've not long been in this job but apparently there were no issues here last year
    There should be a practice test, "Practice Test 1040" which you can set up for pupils and staff to work through (better to get the staff to have a go first - using the anonymous login). Ask them if they did a practice test last year.
    Make sure the test is installed on each machine.
    Get used to the Flight Deck.
    Ask for one week's notice before scheduling a test if you're not sure how to go about it. One day minimum.

Thank Post

Hi beeswax

Just when exactly are you seeing that error message?

I'm not back in til monday so can't have a look at it til then

Thank Post

Did you mean me?

It comes up when students click on the QCA icon after the test has been installed. Even after multiple reboots it happens and wont let a student in until an admin has logged in and opened up QCA

Thank Post

Just got this email - looks like we're gonna be busy next week

[q]Dear KS3 ICT test school,

An issue has been detected with the auto-deployment (MSI) package for the 2007 Summative Test that may cause an error message to be displayed on pupil workstations and prevent the DPS from launching.

Note: The issue will not occur if the Summative Test is manually installed on workstations, however we recommend that once you have installed the 2007 Summative Test, you log onto a workstation with the test installed as a student/pupil user and launch the DPS. If the software launches correctly you have not been affected.

Symptoms

In some circumstances pupil users see the following message at log on to a workstation or when they launch the DPS:

An error has occurred in the Delivery Point System application. Access to the path "C:\Program Files\QCA Testing\Delivery Point System\Tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059x" is denied.

Contact your system administrator.

[OK]

Upon clicking OK, the DPS does not start.

Resolution 1 - How to prevent this issue if you plan to automatically deploy the 2007 Summative Test but have not yet done so.

A revised version of the auto-deployment (MSI) package has been allocated to your school as a software download. This MSI package corrects this issue and should be used in place of the original MSI package.

Your school's APS server should automatically download this revised MSI package.

Using the revised MSI package

Log on to your server as a Windows user with administrative privileges.
    In Windows Explorer, browse to [APS Folder]\FILE_STORE\Software\TDS
    Look for the file KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059 (revised installer).msi. This file is the revised MSI package.
    When the file has been fully downloaded it will be approximately 29MB in size. If you do not see the file, or it has not been fully downloaded, you can manually force communication to start the download. To do this, log onto the Admin Point System, choose the 'School' menu and 'Manage Internet Access' and then click on 'Run Now' from the bottom of the page.
    Once the revised MSI package has downloaded, follow the instructions in Chapter 8 of the Installation and Technical Guide to deploy the 2007 Summative Test. When following these instructions, the revised MSI package should be used instead of the original MSI package referred to in the guide.

Resolution 2 - How to fix this issue if you have already deployed the 2007 Summative Test to your workstations.

The MSI package you have used to auto-deploy the Summative Test to workstations incorrectly leaves behind an empty temporary folder following its installation named:

C:\Program Files\QCA Testing\Delivery Point System\Tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059x

(Note the x on the end of the folder name - the test itself is correctly installed into a folder of the same name but without the x).

The DPS software is designed to handle this situation and will attempt to delete the empty temporary folder whenever it is launched. However an admin user would need to launch the DPS in order for this to be successful. Whenever a non-admin user (e.g. pupil) launches the DPS and it tries to delete the temporary folder, the DPS is denied permission to do so and an error message is displayed.

It is possible to resolve the issue permanently on workstations by using one of the following 6 methods. You may find the deployment options at the top of the list to be the most time efficient:

· Deploy a folder-permission Group Policy Object to workstations on your Windows Server Network. Detailed instructions can be found in Knowledge Base Article TEC915481

· Deploy the revised MSI package to workstations on your Windows Server Network (see Using the Revised MSI Package above).

· Launch the DPS when logged onto a workstation as a Windows user who has administrator access rights and the DPS will delete the folder automatically

· Manually delete the folder C:\Program Files\QCA Testing\Delivery Point System\Tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059x from each installed workstation

· Manually change the permissions on the folder C:\Program Files\QCA Testing\Delivery Point System\Tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059x so that all users have permissions to modify it and therefore automatically delete at initial logon

· Schools running the RM Community Connect 3 Network platform: Create and deliver a revised test package for installation on the network. Detailed instructions can be found in Knowledge Base Article TEC916017

Support

If you have any other enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us. Further technical support articles can be found in the support area of the website (www.naa.org.uk/ks3ictpilot) by clicking on the 'Accreditation and technical support' link in the left hand menu bar and then choose 'Go to the accreditation and technical support area' from the right hand side. You can log a technical support call online or by dialling 0870 870 1025 and choosing option 2. The Customer Services Team is available by email (ks3tests@rm.com) or by calling 0870 870 1025 and choosing option 1.

With regards,

KS3 ICT Tests Customer Services Team[/q]

Do you think they even bothered testing it?

Thank Post

Yes, I got that e-mail this afternoon also - 5 mins after I rolled out the Summative package into 3 ICT Suites!!!

Thank Post

Yep, I've deployed it in two schools already.......another fine mess from QCA.

I suppose one way would be to remove the first msi through GPO and then redeploy. (if you have the time to allow for this to make sure all computers in question have been used and restarted at least a couple of times)

I think i will use a logon vbs script to check the folder exists and if it does then delete it.

What do others plan to do?

Thank Post

I'm lucky really - I only accredited 4 rooms as the others where a bit crap. I usually just uninstall via GPO but as you say it can take time, and sometimes you get one or two that won't uninstall. I usually just ask the ICT teachers to make sure it's uninstalled from their rooms before I re-deploy it (they're good for that)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    Been getting an error after installing the new test via the MSI

When a student logs on they get:

Code:
    'An error has occurred in the Delivery Point System application.

Access to the path "KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 109x" is denied

Contact your system administrator'
    Once an admin has logged on its ok, doesnt make any sense. Deployed in exactly the same way as I did the others.

If I look on the C drive there is a folder in C:\program files\QCA testing\delivery point system\tds\tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 109x that is empty and another folder without the x at the end which has the test in it.

Nothing is logged in the application or system event log.
    There is a document on the RM/QCA support website which describes this error; The folder should have been removed as part of the msi but has been left by mistake.

The doc describes how to update GPO to give 'everyone' full control to the rogue folder, this will allow TDS to remove it when the next student user logs on. I tried the fix late friday afternoon and after a GPO refresh it worked fine.

Thank Post

RM have also informed us that they have made available a new msi that you can deploy instead of the original one: Transcript of email:

>START<
    Dear KS3 ICT test school,

An issue has been detected with the auto-deployment (MSI) package for the 2007 Summative Test that may cause an error message to be displayed on pupil workstations and prevent the DPS from launching.

Note: The issue will not occur if the Summative Test is manually installed on workstations, however we recommend that once you have installed the 2007 Summative Test, you log onto a workstation with the test installed as a student/pupil user and launch the DPS. If the software launches correctly you have not been affected.

Symptoms

In some circumstances pupil users see the following message at log on to a workstation or when they launch the DPS:

An error has occurred in the Delivery Point System application. Access to the path “C:\Program Files\QCA Testing\Delivery Point System\Tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059x” is denied.

Contact your system administrator.

[OK]

Upon clicking OK, the DPS does not start.

Resolution 1 – How to prevent this issue if you plan to automatically deploy the 2007 Summative Test but have not yet done so.

A revised version of the auto-deployment (MSI) package has been allocated to your school as a software download. This MSI package corrects this issue and should be used in place of the original MSI package.

Your school’s APS server should automatically download this revised MSI package.

Using the revised MSI package

• Log on to your server as a Windows user with administrative privileges.

• In Windows Explorer, browse to [APS Folder]\FILE_STORE\Software\TDS

• Look for the file KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059 (revised installer).msi. This file is the revised MSI package.

• When the file has been fully downloaded it will be approximately 29MB in size. If you do not see the file, or it has not been fully downloaded, you can manually force communication to start the download. To do this, log onto the Admin Point System, choose the 'School' menu and 'Manage Internet Access' and then click on 'Run Now' from the bottom of the page.

• Once the revised MSI package has downloaded, follow the instructions in Chapter 8 of the Installation and Technical Guide to deploy the 2007 Summative Test. When following these instructions, the revised MSI package should be used instead of the original MSI package referred to in the guide.

Resolution 2 – How to fix this issue if you have already deployed the 2007 Summative Test to your workstations.

The MSI package you have used to auto-deploy the Summative Test to workstations incorrectly leaves behind an empty temporary folder following its installation named:

C:\Program Files\QCA Testing\Delivery Point System\Tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059x

(Note the x on the end of the folder name – the test itself is correctly installed into a folder of the same name but without the x).

The DPS software is designed to handle this situation and will attempt to delete the empty temporary folder whenever it is launched. However an admin user would need to launch the DPS in order for this to be successful. Whenever a non-admin user (e.g. pupil) launches the DPS and it tries to delete the temporary folder, the DPS is denied permission to do so and an error message is displayed.

It is possible to resolve the issue permanently on workstations by using one of the following 6 methods. You may find the deployment options at the top of the list to be the most time efficient:

· Deploy a folder-permission Group Policy Object to workstations on your Windows Server Network. Detailed instructions can be found in Knowledge Base Article TEC915481

· Deploy the revised MSI package to workstations on your Windows Server Network (see Using the Revised MSI Package above).

· Launch the DPS when logged onto a workstation as a Windows user who has administrator access rights and the DPS will delete the folder automaticallyhttp://www.rm.com/ks3ict/member/support.asp

· Manually delete the folder C:\Program Files\QCA Testing\Delivery Point System\Tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059x from each installed workstation

· Manually change the permissions on the folder C:\Program Files\QCA Testing\Delivery Point System\Tests\KS3ICT-2007-S-SUQ 1059x so that all users have permissions to modify it and therefore automatically delete at initial logon

· Schools running the RM Community Connect 3 Network platform: Create and deliver a revised test package for installation on the network. Detailed instructions can be found in Knowledge Base Article TEC916017

Support

If you have any other enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us. Further technical support articles can be found in the support area of the website (www.naa.org.uk/ks3ictpilot) by clicking on the ‘Accreditation and technical support’ link in the left hand menu bar and then choose ‘Go to the accreditation and technical support area’ from the right hand side. You can log a technical support call online or by dialling 0870 870 1025 and choosing option 2. The Customer Services Team is available by email (ks3tests@rm.com) or by calling 0870 870 1025 and choosing option 1.

With regards,

KS3 ICT Tests Customer Services Team

Tel. 0870 8701025

Fax. 01235 854391

ks3tests@rm.com

www.naa.org.uk/ks3ictpilot

>END<

The above is clearly an RM solution and I take no responsiblity for its content.

I'm just glad i've been off for a week

Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast