+ Post New Thread
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, Waste of money Whitewash or Just Bad luck ? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; What do you think about the KS3 tests not being official ? Here are my thoughts; Waste of tax payers ...

Thank Post

Waste of money Whitewash or Just Bad luck ?

What do you think about the KS3 tests not being official ?

Here are my thoughts;

Waste of tax payers money - RM alone got paid over £25 million pound for the software and support !! how much better use could that be put to - Plus all our technical time, local councils time, training time, teachers time, supply teacher costs, hardware costs - shall I go on ......

Thats a very expensive assement tool !!!!

I estimate total outlay around £200 million all in !!!

What a waste !! A typical PC costs £450 each that could buy 450 thousand PCs for schools, now that cant be bad !! (i hope my maths is right !!)

Thats 15,000 ICT Suites of 30 PCs !! ok you may need some benching and CAT5 but ....

Or a very good UK Wide VLE !!!

Any thoughts?

Thank Post

Re: Waste of money Whitewash or Just Bad luck ?

From a teacher/techie point of view, I was so happy when they scrapped them. They are a waste of time. My last lesson with my year 9 group was spent preparing them for that and then SLT decided to scrap them, only decent decision they have made recently.

Thank Post

We just recieved an email from them apologising for a bug in the system which wasn't allowing students to do the 2nd test..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    We just recieved an email from them apologising for a bug in the system which wasn't allowing students to do the 2nd test..
    Yes we discovered that in the practice tests.

Thank Post

I don't think that this need be a total waste of money, as there are plenty of lessons which can be learned from this regarding management, availability of resources, user interfaces and so on and so forth. Also bear in mind that any new / upgraded hardware which you bought has not gone to waste.

Scrapping it was certainly the right thing to do, however, as the tests would not have been ready for a full-scale go live next year.

Of course, the question now raised is what should they be replaced with?!

Espada & Gromit - I think that bug was in the tests last year too; it could certainly why explain a couple of students got given Session One twice.

Thank Post

OK. This is going to be a bit existential, but I can't help that.

We ran the second day of 2007 Summative tests today. I have been opposed to the test since day one. I don't like RM, and I'm not keen on the KS3 test. I formerly thought that it drained too much administrative time and really shouted loudest when I saw the effect it had on network infrastructure and resources.

Then today.

We covered two tests today with four different sets of students. The first set of two did great. Hardly any hands up in the air asking for help. "Fantastic" I thought. "This is going well". The second set, however, changed the scene entirely. Almost all hands in the air. "What's up here" I began to say.

Bloody RM I thought as I attempted to go round with one of my technicians and sort out the issues that the students were obviously having running the test.

Not at all. The test was technically perfect. Few glitches and a couple of slower systems causing minor wait times- but nothing heavy. The real issue occurred to me after talking to some 15 students one after the other and addressing their problems. They didn't know what they were doing.

They didn't know formulas. Cell reference? What's that? Conditional format- a what? Field? Columns? Inserting a chart using existing spreadhseet data?

Yes. You get the picture. A resounding attack on the level of teaching these particular students had gotten in the last two years of their school life. I was gutted for them. One went home. One just about burst into tears. And so I helped them. Naughty- but there you go.

You see our head of KS3 ICT has been asking for these tests to continue and I thought she was just being funny. But now I see why. It challenges not the students (though there is obviously an element of that) but the teaching staff. Those responsible for teaching to KS3 ICT and tasked with giving students the knowledge they need to move on and apply later in their school life. And where I am sitting, for these two sets at least, this hasn't happened.

And there, I think, is the massive strength of this test. Teacher assessment. We conitnually plant students in front of tests and assess their progress through homework and assignments and project work. But what about making sure the standards are being met in ICT at this level by teaching staff. And that, I believe, is where the government need to be taking this now.

Perhaps you disagree. That's OK. I know all the technical arguments and the time you have wasted (perhaps) on making this work for your school. But PLEASE think about the students. Today I had my mind spun around. And now we press on and make ICT at KS3 work for students more than we ever have. Because it's about *them* and not *us*.

Isn't it?

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well done Paul you have seen what tests are really about...

The fact is teacher assignment in ICT at ks3 is off the mark for lot of people.

The thing to think about is this a comment made to me "don't think it has gone away".

So the statutory nature has gone for now...

As Tony has talked about issues over making non-statutory have nothing to with cost or how it was run.

We are currently in middle of a long story..

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As for bug think this is a different issue to yours Nick...

A patch release is due very soon to fix issues a few sites are having.

Russ

Thank Post

Yes exactly, the testing mechanism seems technically fine (dare I say) - it seems to be the quality of teaching that is letting some of these kids down. Either that or the actual testing program is radically different to real life applications that they are used to.

Most of our ICT teachers are very old school and are still using old/just-not-used-in-the-real-world applications to teach with (I'm talking about stuff that was used on Acorns and hacked to work in windows).

Makes you wonder why you bother keeping your infrastructure upto date

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Blog Entries

To give other subjects a decent chance of taking up the slack on what the ICT departments may not have taught the kids.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread