Poll: Are you going to carry on with the tests in 2007?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, Is your school going to continue with the KS3 ICT test? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; We'll be running to so it provides staff with continous assessment data... Assessment is at the heart of the school's ...

Thank Post

Re: Is your school going to continue with the KS3 ICT test?

We'll be running to so it provides staff with continous assessment data... Assessment is at the heart of the school's plans for improvement ...[and ofcourse OfSTED] so it's a must, although there won't any pressure to squeeze it in this year.

Thank Post

I've been informed by our SMT and KS3 coordinator for ICT that we are to go ahead with the test whilst it is still available.

However, we're not overly bothered about how well/badly it goes, per se. Our concern is primarily that it keeps Ofsted, and our lovely friends from the Inspection and Advisory service at the LA happy.

It's easier to keep those who judge happy than to have to provide justification as to why not.

'Course, I've had to get RM... sorry, I mean, the NAA (I do love that) to send me the Software all over again after one of my team got a wee bit overzealous at the news. Our old KS3 Test Server found itself being dismantled and used to make a new all powerful CAD/CAM PC. I do love my staff...

Thank Post

Has anyone found a sure-fire argument to convince their SMT/SLT to drop this steaming pile of you-know-what? I'm loathe to waste any more time on something which has been rendered worthless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

I have been advised by SLT that we are to continue for the time being just so they can gather more data before the slow demise over the next two years. Not bothered which way it goes as we had no big problems with it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have said that we should scrap it this year as it will have little use for the existing year 9 students. Instead we will start using it for formative assessment with years 7 & 8 next year then 7, 8 & 9 the following year ... purely as a method of feeding into the Teacher Assessed Level.

Pretty much what is being suggested for it actually.

We can use other products to do this (GOAL Online) and may look at developing stuff once we have sorted out what VLE we are moving to in the county ... but since this is free and we have gone through the hard bit we might as well use it properly.

Thank Post

I have had no contact from SLT about this, and the head of ICT has no idea. So it's been left to me to make the decision about the tests, so we're not doing them, why make more work for myself.

Thank Post

So- here's a question: are the KS3 tests now compulsory, "up to you", or are we to continue doing them until something changes? I ask because I have been told that though they are not compulsory we are to do them for the whole year group until and unless the government change it.

Any links I can look at?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries

They are 'up to you' as far as I know. We are doing them. I have just spent part of today sorting out the server side of the system. RM don't half make some assumptions! Like you having to have a drive with no quota's on, having to delete any user called 'postgres' or 'tomcat' etc... Not good assumptions to make.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

They are optional .. and will remain optional for the next few years.

The idea is that they should be used as a programme of ongoing formative assessment throughout KS3 rather than just an end of KS3 test.

We have ditched them this year, but they will be part of an ongoing programme for years 7 & 8 next year, then rolling into 7, 8 & 9 the year after ...

Thank Post

Thanks people. I knew I had picked up the "way things are" correctly and wasn't going (completely) mad. Mmmmm. I think I will have an interesting meeting tomorrow then.

Thank Post

Not a chance, never wanted to do it, never agreed with the flawed badly designed and implemented load of rubbish from day 1. So we never even ran it in any way with a single student. SMT agreed, ICT advisor looked sheepish!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Key here is general feeling of what will happen is that when your inspected by ofsted/hmi etc they will ask to see what your are using to inform your teacher assessment levels (to make sure they are correct). So along lines your not using the naa software what are you using?

To be fair to the new software it has some very good points to it. But don't worry lot of other exams boards are using it

Russell

Thank Post

We have decided to abandon the KS3 testing as the results from the test are not accurate for assessment purposes. If the data which results cannot be used there is little use in pupils doing the test!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f21970
    We have decided to abandon the KS3 testing as the results from the test are not accurate for assessment purposes. If the data which results cannot be used there is little use in pupils doing the test!
    Are you sure maybe it is other way around

Russell

Thank Post

I think we've got out of it To cut a long story short we nolonger have the software or media or infact anything to do with it apart from an account on their website in school. I requested they send it out to us and explained to circumstances and they agreed, that was over a month ago and its not arrived.

How does it work anyway? Its not worse than Promissor is it?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast