+ Post New Thread
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, KS3 Onscreen testing Logistics in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I wondered if anybody has thought about the logistics of this? We have 215 students in yr 9 who each ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

KS3 Onscreen testing Logistics

I wondered if anybody has thought about the logistics of this?
    We have 215 students in yr 9 who each have to do 2x50 minute sessions.
    Max we can fit into an ITsuite is 30. Each IT suite must then have an invigilator, and a technical exams officer to start/stop tests running the 'flight deck'. I assume the 'flight deck' must run in the same room as the students so that pupils who ask for help can be contacted easily.
    I have a really bad feeling that our entire tech support dept is going to be doing this full time for the duration of the tests.
    How do/will you do it? train invigilators to run flight deck, tech staff do it or teacher.
    Sadly no-one has volunteered for the lead role in this here, so its up to me and ICT KS3 co-ordinator.

Thank Post

Re: KS3 Onscreen testing Logistics

One thing I noticed last year was that although you should be able to fit the sessions into a standard 1-hour timetabled period, but because of the speed of the system it just isn't possible. I have been pushing the Exams Officer and ICT Co-ordinator to allow at least 1.5 hours per session. Logon can take up to 15 minutes when you have 30+ students on, and if they crash out (which the time-wasters will do "accidentally") it takes another 15 to get back on.

Make sure you get the timetabler to factor this in early.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    I wondered if anybody has thought about the logistics of this?
    We have 215 students in yr 9 who each have to do 2x50 minute sessions.
    Max we can fit into an ITsuite is 30. Each IT suite must then have an invigilator, and a technical exams officer to start/stop tests running the 'flight deck'. I assume the 'flight deck' must run in the same room as the students so that pupils who ask for help can be contacted easily.
    I have a really bad feeling that our entire tech support dept is going to be doing this full time for the duration of the tests.
    How do/will you do it? train invigilators to run flight deck, tech staff do it or teacher.
    Sadly no-one has volunteered for the lead role in this here, so its up to me and ICT KS3 co-ordinator.
    Be aware of the following:

1.You need spare machines for the students in case/when a workstation crashes. They need to be able to move straight to another machine.

2. The invigilator needs a machine to run the flightdeck. (What happens if this crashes? Suggest a spare for them as well.)

3. Tech staff need to be on hand to support any technical problems but NOT invigilate. They may need to leave room to check server etc.

4. Any kids with special needs? Any that need Readers or other support. Where will they do the test?

5. The tests make significant demands on the network and server. (They now suggest it is better not to run the APS on a DC.) so other use of the network during the test (and the download of data to the server after each test is finished) should be severely restricted or better still, stopped altogether!!!

6. Admin of the test/timetabling etc will be a nightmare. They need time to log-on to network then log-on to the test interface before the 50mins starts. Allow plenty of time for this!!

7. Under the workload agreement teachers should not be required to invigilate exams.

Thank Post

We are arranging for invigilators to be trained in the flight deck as well as seeing how the exam software works so that they will be able to assist the kids in the correct manor.

Don't forget you will also have to factor in time to print out stuff at the end of the tests.

Thank Post

Oh and thanks to RM the magnifier on XP throws a wobble on the latest DPS software. They advise to run it on 2000 if needed.

Our school is an inclusive school so we are setting aside rooms for pupils who ned readers etc..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r

Don't forget you will also have to factor in time to print out stuff at the end of the tests.
    You can`t print out. Their work is uploaded to the APS automatically, and from there to the magic exam markers in the sky!!!

The students are not allowed pens/paper etc either!!

Thank Post

so why do you get a print option when the test is complete?

Thank Post

AFAIK the only print option is to output test code and password when session interupted. The students responses to the questions cannot be printed.

Thank Post

I mentioned this to the person in charge of time tabling and the school calander, thinking the ICT Co-ordinator had previously mentioned it.... obvioussly I was wrong!

I think this year I will undertake all tasks and plan everything this year to ensure the tests go smoothly and that all tasks are done in time!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

thanks for the replies, I'm pretty sure no-one SLT has thought very far ahead about this.
    how many spare machines do you/RM recommend? and are there restrictions such as spacing etc like in most public exams?
    I'm just wondering how many students we could cram into a room.
    What about practice sessions? are these exam conditions? or is it one 50 min (1.5hrs) for each exam - sorry I've mostly been looking the technical side

Thank Post

you need as many spare machines as you think necessary. it all depends on how reliable your current kit is.
    we sit a pupil at every machine as this isn't an exam, such as the Edexcel one, which requires that you give a right or wrong answer (in its simplest form).
    there should be some "familiarisation exams" downloaded to your server pretty soon, if they aren't already there. It's good practice that you conduct them as if they were the real thing, things are going to go "wrong", from pupils "accidentally" typing in the wrong password, to machines freezing etc. just make a note of this and read up.

Thank Post

......... and have fun!!!

Thank Post

Is that fun in the vein of being hit round the head with a gold bar wrapped in a slice of lemon?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread