+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, Test results in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; results were due out last Friday. Picked up ours first thing monday morning, and they didn't seem so bad, with ...

Thank Post

Test results

results were due out last Friday. Picked up ours first thing monday morning, and they didn't seem so bad, with most pupils reaching their predicted levels. ok, due to pressures on our head of ICT, and other ICT staff not being cooperative, we only ran the test for a group of 26 pupils, 22 of whom showed up on the day, but that's another story. haven't had a chance to read the summaries. how did the rest of you get on?

Thank Post

Re: Test results

Much the same though we managed to get the majority of pupils done even though the head of ICT was most uncooperative.

Thank Post

We put around 40 through them and I'd say 90% of them got the expected grade. It seems to have worked out quite well. The main problem is that the software hasn't been used for a month so everyones forgot how to use the flightdeck but its simple enough and they found the results soon enough.

I think the pupils got to grips with the software more than the teaching staff although I was suprised how much talking was allowed but I suppose it was just a trial so it wasn't as important and I am not a teacher so its not up to me.

Do we get something to say we took part in this trial?

Thank Post

Our candidates pretty well matched national averages for the test. We entered a high ability, medium ability and low ability class for the test. We also had a rather worrying 12% of candidates who did not get a grade, some of these were due to problems with the test software, some due to no-shows for the second part of the test but a number that we cannot explain yet.

On a more disturbing note; according to the Head of ICT, the feedback he had received from QCA suggested those schools who had subscribed early and been able to 'familiarise' their students for longer did better.....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73
    Do we get something to say we took part in this trial?
    I think RM and the QCA are getting together to produce an embossed certificate, 100% recycled from old 25 metre swimming certificates that were found in the back of a cupboard a while ago. You can have the vanilla version, or have it framed, at your own expense. Additional to that RM will include a letter of commendation, the third line of which you can cut and paste into your cv, whilst acknowledging their copyright of all material contained therein.

On Sunday afternoon I was sitting at a table in a sidewalk cafe in a square in Prague having beers brought to me while I watched the world pass by. Life seemed so much simpler then.

Thank Post

We picked up our results for around 40 students and I think they did extremely well considering the fact that:

1. The ICT support staff (me) were given only one month to install, configure, and get ready for, the test

2. The students got one session of familiarisation and then went straight into the summative test

Most of them hit their ILA, and quite a lot moved beyond their ILA. Good stuff really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    On a more disturbing note; according to the Head of ICT, the feedback he had received from QCA suggested those schools who had subscribed early and been able to 'familiarise' their students for longer did better.....
    well yer....

As for our results once again above national average like last year (which is good as my boss happy, head is happy, lea happy so that makes me happy).

We put in all our students who were level 3 or above and had 3 people not do the test at all and one not complete the test.

Russell

Thank Post

Out of the 13 we managed to get through the test we had one student achieve their predicted grade of 5, one achieve the predicted grade of 6 and all the others achieved 5s rather than 6s (barre 2 who got 4s and one that got an N!!!).

Not good results at all!

Thank Post

Ok check this out...I went through the results with our Head of ICT and he has spotted some serious question marks over the QCAs marking scheme. One student who he knows did nothing apart from sleep for the first test came out level 5. There is also the case where a bright student who took his time on both tests, came out level 4. There is no way the first student should be a level ahead as he is in the bottom band only just above SEN and the other student is in the top band!

This worries me! Please any comments or similar results from any out there?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

We put the whole year 9 through the test ... after all, there is no point only sticking a cross-section in as it does not give full and valid data to those running the pilot.

Our test results were mixed ... about a 1/3rd were up a level, 1/3rd down a level and 1/3rd were spot on ... so it averages out ok but on an individual basis not that good.

The up and down side of things appears to be those that are visual learners and can adapt have gone up a level ... those that are not have gone down ...

Coaching and repeated practice of the test can get rid of some of the fluctuations ... but that means a re-write of at least 1/2 of the year 9 ICT curriculum ... in fact it means moving away from the National Strategy in year 8 to start teaching certain concepts differently.

At the moment the test is 100% assessment only ... and no T&L. This needs to be changed in schools so they are not jumping through hoops to do the "test" but teaching skills and concepts used in the test ...

But hey ... that is not our problem ... at the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chafftech
    Ok check this out...I went through the results with our Head of ICT and he has spotted some serious question marks over the QCAs marking scheme. One student who he knows did nothing apart from sleep for the first test came out level 5. There is also the case where a bright student who took his time on both tests, came out level 4. There is no way the first student should be a level ahead as he is in the bottom band only just above SEN and the other student is in the top band!

This worries me! Please any comments or similar results from any out there?
    Hmm well then fill in query form for students and let rm look at it..

Also did you print report for two students and compare what they did as you will often find issue there.

Remember this test is not about ict skills it is about appropriate use of ict.

What would say problem is and this is no way reflection on all teachers but due to pressure of having to be above certain levels teaching assignment level in ict is often too high. So when they do the test and get a real level there can be big difference.

Thank Post

Most of our testees attained the predicted grade, though our head of ICT predicted everyone for a 4, so not overly difficult I guess

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How do we view the results? 8O

Thank Post

Even though ours were all entered in as a 4 as Jake says according to the Head when they arrive at the school they should be on a level 5 anyway, which means they went backwards!

We ran every pupil through the test and had no problems what so ever, the software ran steady as a rock on every session.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    How do we view the results? 8O
    login to your APS, go to Tests>Manage Tests, highlight the Summative Test, and at the bottom Results and Results Distribution should become available. I'm sure you'll be able to negotiate your way around from there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast