+ Post New Thread
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, 3 No contact on seesion 1 upload in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; We have just finished the first session of the summative and three of the clients crashed on upload and now ...
    Thank Post

3 No contact on seesion 1 upload

We have just finished the first session of the summative and three of the clients crashed on upload and now just say no contact in the flight deck. I ahve restarted the client etc and logged on again but I just get another error then. How do I appease this so the tests upload properly and they are marked as completed?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: 3 No contact on seesion 1 upload

trying logging onto client from different workstation and reloading the test.

if that fails give rm a call who will talk you through how to remove last minute of the test.

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    if that fails give rm a call who will talk you through how to remove last minute of the test.
    Do they have an API to the space time continuum?

We also have had the No Contact errors, but have simply killed the ReStartTDS.EXE process remotely, logged off machine and logged the kid back on again and resumed OK.

Thank Post

I ended up doing the delete the last minute thing guided by RM (hmm I feel dirty now ) now all is well

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

yes they have a time machine it is possable to delete time of the test but i am not going tp post here mainly as this leaves tests open to abuse..

Russell

Thank Post

Their support is pretty fast and thorough, but we've had a number of pupils with errors in each session and I don't think it'll be workable in its current state. Mostly the DPS was just crashing, and needed killing and restarting. In some cases there were upload problems as above with RM recommending the same fix as you mention. There were also some problems with resuming after a crash (similar fix).

To be honest I can't much be bothered fixing all the broken sessions we have so that they get submitted properly, as we aren't putting all 280 kids through the full test this year anyway. Hopefully in a year's time RM'll have developed some software which crashes on less than 20% of our computers each session.

Under test conditions and with 1 spare computer, we can probably squeeze 15 pupils into a room, but ideally they should have 90 minutes to complete the 50 minute session to give us time to fix problems. That would take us about 6 days with 2 computer rooms booked up solidly. We can't realistically use any more rooms, as we won't have enough technicians to firefight the crashes. As it is, I think using up 2 technicians for the best part of 6 days is unreasonable.

R(un a) M(ile) also need to release an administrator's troubleshooting guide, rather than keeping the info on their own internal KB and releasing tidbits on request. That way we can fix problems there and then (although I do resent having to babysit an exam!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee
    Their support is pretty fast and thorough, but we've had a number of pupils with errors in each session and I don't think it'll be workable in its current state. Mostly the DPS was just crashing, and needed killing and restarting. In some cases there were upload problems as above with RM recommending the same fix as you mention. There were also some problems with resuming after a crash (similar fix).

To be honest I can't much be bothered fixing all the broken sessions we have so that they get submitted properly, as we aren't putting all 280 kids through the full test this year anyway. Hopefully in a year's time RM'll have developed some software which crashes on less than 20% of our computers each session.

Under test conditions and with 1 spare computer, we can probably squeeze 15 pupils into a room, but ideally they should have 90 minutes to complete the 50 minute session to give us time to fix problems. That would take us about 6 days with 2 computer rooms booked up solidly. We can't realistically use any more rooms, as we won't have enough technicians to firefight the crashes. As it is, I think using up 2 technicians for the best part of 6 days is unreasonable.

R(un a) M(ile) also need to release an administrator's troubleshooting guide, rather than keeping the info on their own internal KB and releasing tidbits on request. That way we can fix problems there and then (although I do resent having to babysit an exam!)
    To be fair we had hardly any issues few yes but no way as near as many as last year...

We are lucky we have two rooms next to each other with a door between them...

My advice reduce amount in each room by couple of people and then do it over longer period..

6 days is not big deal....

what i suggest is try running two tests a day left time in afternoon free to fix issues...

Yer other things dont get done as long as it is made clear to other staff sats most important thing..

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

We have found that running a dedicated server which sereves all three ict suites works pretty well but a higher spec machine would help even more.
    Runnin four sessions today on summative tests and that is our finnish will let you all know how we got on and if we had any problems OK

P.S good luck to you all

Thank Post

Our ICT Teachers abandoned the tests two days in. After the first day of the second session. We had around 80 people doing session 2 at the same time. Some pupils hadn't finished session 1 according to it and had to log back into session 1 before they could get anywhere and 1 pupil when they attempted to log on was informed that they time had run out.

Called RM, reponse was oh yeah that's happened a few times, you can't do anything. What about there session 2 results? They won't have any!

Then 20 minutes from then end 2 out of the three rooms running started to loose contact with server i checked the server, low CPU usage, nothing hardly showing on network utilisation and looked at our two main switches both showing between 1% and 5% overall network utilisation and i couldn't figure out why no one could get on to the APS and 40 or so clients decided to loose contact ...

After long talks with RM, we apparently have done quite well this year compared with a lot of the new schools testing it. I was wondering if we only got 90% kids through session 1 and about 35% through session 2 how bad did some other people have it?

They recommeded now that tests are run in batches of 24 with a 15 minute gap between each 24 that logs on...

Thing that i don't understand is for the first 2 days it worked with just a couple of glitches and then day 3 was a shambles, lol...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Snuffkins: I have to say I didn't have any of those problems

A couple of crashes that a log out log in fixed is about all and they started with the same amount of time as they had when it crashed. 50 Kids a time here in 2 sets of 25 and we rarely had anything to worry about. Second Session went just as well, we even had a pupil turn up for the second session who wasn't here for the first and it made him start on the first session of the test. Everything just worked for us.

Wes

Thank Post

Touch wood we have had few technical problems.

Just 5 workstations that failed at the end. Spoke to RM who advised restart PC then login to DPS as pupil, test loaded then finished and uploaded.

Only other tech problem was a PC loosing it licence for charts! so the pupil couldn't create a chart in the database module. Had to load a batch file to create licence again for this machine.

Now to the main problem - lack of support from head of ICT and SMT for the whole project. Have ended up doing all of the roles for the tests, not to happy about that. Will let the exams officer off as she is involved with GCSE's and SATS. Some test were a shambles with poor pupil behaviour etc..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

just ran sessions 1 and two straight after each other on 60 workstations and had just three minor gliches which we sorted almost immediately. Running another 30 workstation session now and up til now no probs will keep yer all posted.

A man is judged by what he does in life, not what he is.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread