+ Post New Thread
ICT KS3 SATS Tests Thread, Nightmare in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; So, I had two teachers try the software in different classrooms with about 30 students in each, at the same ...
    Thank Post

Nightmare

So,

I had two teachers try the software in different classrooms with about 30 students in each, at the same time.

Everyone logs in with the same username and password specially for the testing software.

One room receives 'Upload in Progress' messages for at least 5-10 minutes after logging on, despite 'AutoUpload' set to No in the Config on the server. After finally starting up they then all receive 'Connection Failed' messages after it waits trying to connect for about 10 minutes.

The other room was slightly better. About 90% or so managed to connect ok, but then they would just hang while after choosing 'Anonymous' and a test and clicking 'Log On'.

These rooms are the newest PCs we have, 2Ghz Celerons, 512Mb RAM. The server running the software is Dual Xeon 3Ghz Processors with 2Gb RAM.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Nightmare

Thin client sites have been having the same problems. related?

Your school was contacted earlier this week regarding a technical issue which affects the KS3 ICT test logon process in schools running a Thin Client network. The technical problem manifests itself in unacceptably slow test logon times for the pupils. The issue is unlikely to affect the successful running of the test itself.

The development team continues to investigate the cause of the issue, however at this time we regret to advise you that we do not have a solution to resolve it. We are keen that you continue to be involved in the pilot and are able to run tests successfully and would therefore like to provide you with the following advice for running successful test sessions.

Prior to a test session, log all pupils onto the DPS (Delivery Point System). It is advisable to allow up to 40 minutes for this activity if possible. When pupils enter the classroom the test will then be ready to initiate and all pupils will be presented with the test instructions screen. It is important to ensure that pupils are directed to sit at the appropriate workstation (i.e. the workstation that has been logged onto with their specific username and test password details). We understand that this may require some adjustment to the school timetable and also appreciate that you may not have the resource capacity to carry out this activity. We have therefore reserved a limited amount of engineer resource to assist schools with the pre-test logon process. Please contact us at your earliest convenience if you will require assistance prior to your summative sessions so that we can discuss these arrangements. Please telephone the Customer Services Team.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that this issue has caused. In the meantime please be assured that we are endeavouring to find a solution to the issue as soon as possible.

Thank Post

these tests are hard going on the hardware, so u need a fairly good spec machine, but from what u got, it should be fine....

the only other thing i can think of is, try in just the one room, but they also create a lot of network traffic and put a lot of strain on the server as all the tests that the students do are Zipped and then send back to QCA....

i dont think choosing anonymous for all the kids will help, cause what the server does is track the progess of each test, so if one test fails you are able to recover the test from when it crashed..... the only think i can think of there is that cause u have a lot of kids using the same login (anonymous) that the server is getting confused.

Thank Post

hmmm I'm not sure.

I'm not running a Thin Client Network.

I shall put this idea of logging them in prior to the test to the Head of ICT though I'm sure it will be completely unacceptable for them as timetable won't permit I don't think.

Must be a solution, something I'm missing.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nij.UK
    the only think i can think of there is that cause u have a lot of kids using the same login (anonymous) that the server is getting confused.
    Is there a way to add more testing account then?

The Exams Officer has done nothing to import the Pupil Data so I have no actual users, but I want to proceed with testing so it's not actually my fault it's been held up!

Thank Post

well i rang up RM helpdesk about this, cause i wanted to create some users so that teachers could sit the actual exams, but they advised me not to do this and suggested i use the annon account, so i scrapped that idea...

Im sure u could just make some up, each one has to have a unique UPN number, and from what i know, QCA dont check that the pupil name and the UPN number match....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts

There is a spreadsheet kicknig about that's talked about in the qca knowledgebase that creates upn's

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread